1/18 - Messerschmitt Bf.109E "Emil" by HobbyBoss (ex-Century Toys) - released

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/18 - Messerschmitt Bf.109E "Emil" by HobbyBoss (ex-Century Toys) - released
15 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Well, if the overall shape is close enough I might consider one for some scratch building/super detailing fun.

You would have your work cut out for you. The canopy is a huge problem; the large side panels should be perfect rectangles but they taper towards the back. The same is true of the top canopy panel; on the 21st Century version it gets narrower going backwards. The net effect is to make that whole area of the kit look very odd. There’s something really wrong with the vertical tail and rudder as well. The top of the rudder is too flat, but the whole tail seems too short. The prop thrust line seems too high as well.

There are probably a multitude of other errors, but these leap out. Don’t get me wrong, nobody with a passing knowledge of WWII aircraft will mistake it for anything but a Bf 109E, but it’s more of a caricature than a replica.

55717_0.jpg

2_63.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Looks like a scale-up 1/72 kit. I'd assume it's more of a toy than a serious kit?

They were originally toys as these Hobbyboss kits are the ex Century Toys 1/18 pre built/painted models (with a minor amount of assembly required):

51539506766_43221d0102_c.jpg

Now available in kit form. although I think they are a bit overpriced. My boy had the Fw-190D-9 many years ago, and to be honest, it wasn't that bad. The boxed "toy" versions fetch silly money now. So as long as you know what you're getting into with these, they can make a good canvas for something pretty special. Lot of elbow grease though. 

Steve

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 10/1/2021 at 9:35 AM, Bozothenutter said:

it's big, but looks absolutely terrible

Depends of what you expect from a kit.

I have build the 1/18 th Dauntless,Fw-190 and Me 262 from Hobby Boss.

From me it's the "overall look".Not the detail.

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1