"Bob's the Boss" Malta Spitfire

JackG

Jerry Smith and his Spitfire Vc BR126 X-3 that he landed back on a carrier (due to a faulty slipper tank) was posted today on a facebook group I follow.  I don't recall seeing the particular photo with "BOB'S THE BOSS" chalked on the nose, nor does google search show it was discussed here before.  So here it is and the pdf link it was found on:

https://www.flightjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/No_Tailhook_Spitfire.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3Od8rLV0lke4iME4NyW_IiKDjBCy27pmMDxK4HL4HqOP9HLuWaeOGE8M8

Screenshot-2021-06-29-at-07-59-36-No-Tai

209624820-10159581620790903-865015880592

regards,

Jack

• Like 10

I could not find anything in the decal department, not even the yellow GL@E codes it would carry once operating over Malta.   Though there are some possibilities in 1/72.   Perhaps Eduard will include it once they do the Spitfire Vc?

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackG said:

I could not find anything in the decal department, not even the yellow GL@E codes it would carry once operating over Malta.   Though there are some possibilities in 1/72.   Perhaps Eduard will include it once they do the Spitfire Vc?

regards,

Jack

Here are a few of my Malta Spitfire, in 1/72 from Sword ,KP, and Airfix

Alainspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

Interesting, if the 3*X was in white, it shouldn’t be too hard to source.  The 1/72 decal set seems to indicate the dark earth and overpainted ocean grey or Malta blue scheme.  Time to do some research!

Brian Cauchi authored a publication on Malta Spitfires back in 2013.   His colour illustration for BR126 while sporting the white delivery codes has what appears to be the day fighter scheme, with the DK Green portions over painted with an unknown dark blue.   This blue also extends down the sides of the tropical filter as well as  entire prop nose - unlike the photo of "Bob's the Boss" - so maybe that is another aircraft?    What is certain is the X letter code is placed beside the roundel nearest the cockpit for both sides.

regards,

Jack

Several issues of Scale Aircraft Modelling, not immediately to hand but I'll look for them later.  The first two articles on Calendar and Bowery are the best: although there is good stuff later it is less grounded in original documentation.

• Like 2

Found a digital sample of SAM Volume 39 Issue 06 August 2017.   Article is A MALTA STORY CONTINUED Part 1 by Paul Lucas.  Only the first page of the article is viewable, but it just happens to contain BR126 as depicted for delivery.  

The illustration has white delivery codes, with the scheme being standard FAA.  DSG and EDSG on top, with Sky type S on the bottom.   The prop nose is Dark Slate Grey, while the Extra Dark Sea Grey extends down the side of the Vokes filter (starboard profile).   Does not have any dark blue.

Have not included a link as the site does not have a positive rating from the general public.

regards,

Jack

Calendar was blue, with photos showing a single colour on top.  Bowery was TSS with photos clearly showing two colours.  Calendar had Malta personnel taking part, notably Sq. Ldr. "Jumbo" Gracie, which led to a repaint being ordered just before loading.   Bowery was thrown together at short notice because of high losses so it seems that somewhere along the line part of the message was lost.

• Like 4

Thanks  Graham, good rule of thumb to follow.  Any opinion on the painting of the sides on Vokes filters, was it factory standard at some locations, or only when repaints were done aboard the carriers?

regards,

Jack

Repaints were not done on the carrier (Wasp) was often claimed, but at RAF Maintenance Units before loading.  Whether the way the paint went down (or not) onto the Vokes filter does not seem to follow any identified pattern.  Perhaps if you created a list of which serials had which depth of blue, then a link to the MUs that these aircraft passed through might produce some pattern, but I have my doubts that this is achievable, given the lack of links between this feature and serials.  The link between serial and MUs is in Spitfire The History.

As you say, a rule of thumb guide.  There is at least a suspicion that at least some of the Spitfires had desert camouflage when loaded - it certainly looks like that in some photos, even allowing for the variation of TSS on different films and filters.  And also the undersides were recorded by one of the pilots as a blue.

The Lucas articles are in SAM December 2015, January 2016, August 2017, September 2017, October 2018, November 2018, and in Subcutaneous (SAM subscriber copy) August 2017.  I must add that there is much more in the articles than any simple rule-of-thumb can summarise.  Lots of interesting colour profiles, though.  I've a feeling that he may have returned to the subject more recently, but if so they are yet to be filed in the appropriate place and I can only hope that they surface from the paper stacks soon!

• Thanks 2

The podcast www.wehavewayspod.com are currently presenting a serialized audiobook of One Man's Window by Denis Barnham, a Spitfire pilot in Malta from April to June 1942. He was also a keen artist and keep mentioning the colours of just about everything he sees. It does get a bit "flowery" from time to time, but he does mention the colour of his dark blue-grey Spitfire(s) several times.

Edited by wmcgill
clarity

He also includes the blue in at least one of his paintings.  Sadly, however, his mention of aircraft colours disappear as you get further into the book other than an account of witnessing the fall of a desert-camouflaged example.  There are however photos available of him in the cockpit of his fighter showing detail such as the four cannon, the bulge in front of the ailerons, and the white spot on his wingtip (not quite the polka dots he describes in his book.)

Sirs,might one ask,if this aeroplane is actually a Spitfire Vc?

If that is indeed the case,how did the aircraft stop once having landed back on the Wasp's deck?

If one remembers correctly,the Spitfires were loaded aboard the ship at Glasgow docks.

EDIT:

Please belay your answers gentlemen,having read the attached article,one sees that young Smith was a very

competent and lucky aviator.

Edited by DaveWilko

34 minutes ago, DaveWilko said:

Sirs,might one ask,if this aeroplane is actually a Spitfire Vc?

If that is indeed the case,how did the aircraft stop once having landed back on the Wasp's deck?

If one remembers correctly,the Spitfires were loaded aboard the ship at Glasgow docks.

EDIT:

Please belay your answers gentlemen,having read the attached article,one sees that young Smith was a very

competent and lucky aviator.

Yes it is a Spitfire Mk Vc, I suppose that for the landing, the aircraft carrier was at full speed, wind in front, and the Spit at minimum speed, just before "stoling"

Alain

• Thanks 1