Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

33 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Couple of questions if I may…

I ordered some 1/200 fabric Kriegsmarine flags on line, but my money got returned with no explanation, so I guess they’re no longer doing them. I think it was a company called AMP. Any other sources?

Not Bismarck related, but why do British Battleships have X & Y turrets at the stern and not Y & Z? Just curious!

Thanks,

Guy

AMP don’t appear to like us.

https://amp.rokket.biz/flags.shtml

Jon

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Not Bismarck related, but why do British Battleships have X & Y turrets at the stern and not Y & Z? Just curious!

This bugs me too and I've heard various reasons, but the most logical to me is that it has to do with the clarity (and/or ease) of shouting "zed". Anyone know if this is right as I think shouting x would be less clear? I will practice shouting out the alphabet tomorrow and report back.

I've also heard that some poor rating not using the Queen's English properly might say, lord help us: "zee" which could be confused with c or see or sea or the etc. Especially confusing for any Welsh sailors on board too.

Either way, Agincourt had a z turret I believe. And some earlier German battleships appear to have a circular naming arrangement when wing mounts were more common (instead of p and q on their UK counterparts).

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Faraway said:

AMP don’t appear to like us.

https://amp.rokket.biz/flags.shtml

Jon

Ah thanks Jon, I hadn’t seen that. I can’t really see how posting a small envelope is any different to anywhere else in the world? 

I’ve just emailed them again to say name their price!

4 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

This bugs me too and I've heard various reasons, but the most logical to me is that it has to do with the clarity (and/or ease) of shouting "zed". Anyone know if this is right as I think shouting x would be less clear? I will practice shouting out the alphabet tomorrow and report back.

I've also heard that some poor rating not using the Queen's English properly might say, lord help us: "zee" which could be confused with c or see or sea or the etc. Especially confusing for any Welsh sailors on board too.

Either way, Agincourt had a z turret I believe. And some earlier German battleships appear to have a circular naming arrangement when wing mounts were more common (instead of p and q on their UK counterparts).

David

Well done David,

I thought it would be a stupid

question. You’d think ‘Zed’ would be pretty clear really. 

How did the experiments go? Your neighbours must think you’ve lost it😆

Guy

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Ah thanks Jon, I hadn’t seen that. I can’t really see how posting a small envelope is any different to anywhere else in the world? 

Hi Guy, it's VAT. Many small businesses flat refuse to collect taxes for British and European governments and all the administration that accompanies that. 

• Like 2

Ah thanks Jon,

Well done, I’ll still see what AMP say though as they claim to be the ‘premium’ product.  The UK ones are mirror images.. so back to front on one side I guess.

But I will be getting them if no joy with AMP.

Guy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gisbod said:

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies

Thanks Jamie, that’s a shame for us modellers.

Any other suppliers of anything similar?

Guy

If you'll excuse the apparent pun, it does seem to be all the rage with governments now but it's not particularly scalable a process for small enterprises. I'm sure we all have opinions what's best for the local, national and global economies but I shall refrain from voicing mine here :D

• Like 2

Voice away Jamie 😁

Paints on! Trying to get the balance between over shading and bland, subjective I guess. Sovereign paints are beautiful to spray.

Guy

EEE0-F9-D8-81-B5-4-DA6-9-C04-76-D0-E6-B4

B7-B0187-A-4-DE4-40-A0-949-D-0-DD377-CED

B3654-C8-E-39-EF-4-E1-F-91-B5-A7-AC2-C77

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck *Paint!
8 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Well done David,

I thought it would be a stupid

question. You’d think ‘Zed’ would be pretty clear really. 

How did the experiments go? Your neighbours must think you’ve lost it😆

Guy

Frankly its dumb and I dont understand the reluctance to send good to EU / UK, You can still post something to the EU and if any VAT is collectable at the end then the end user sorts it out with the carrier.  Simples. Happened before and happens now.  for another thread though,

Nice work BTW,

• Like 1

Gosh. Live and learn.

That looks AM....AZ....ING. 
To be clear in my head, very old and addled brain.

You sprayed it all black, then a fine coat of grey and finished with a dusting of white ?
Jon

• Like 1

Thanks,

Re AMP and flags, I had this response from them…

We are trying to set up on Etsy or a similar platform, so that the platform takes care of tax. But we haven't gotten there yet. We will keep you posted!

Not sure that helps me, but I’ll put it on the back burner for a while. Incidentally, I ordered a set of crew from NorthStar. It will be interesting to see what they look like in the flesh.

47 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Gosh. Live and learn.

To be clear in my head, very old and addled brain.

You sprayed it all black, then a fine coat of grey and finished with a dusting of white ?
Jon

That’s about it Jon, you could just do black and white for a bigger contrast, but thought I’d try with the grey as the top coat is a light grey too and quite pleased with the results. Re the white, it’s not so much a dusting as spraying bursts on the areas I want to highlight. I think a dusting would be lost in the overcoat.

Jamie gave me 4 pots of Hellgrau 50 for the superstructure - I used half a tin! I diluted it 50/50 with their thinners and just sprayed enough to keep a subtle, but visible contrast between the light and dark areas. Not everyone’s cup of tea I suppose, but you can easily adjust the effect to your own interpretation. Incidentally, I had finished, but went back for another thin coat as I thought it looked too stark on reflection the next day.

Guy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Not everyone’s cup of tea I suppose, but you can easily adjust the effect to your own interpretation. Incidentally, I had finished, but went back for another thin coat as I thought it looked too stark on reflection the next day.

Well I am enjoying my cuppa while catching up great paint work.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

Your paint consumption is transformational compared to most in this scale Guy. Most use much more but I perceive it's your preparation which is reducing your usage - most aren't working from a uniform colour undercoat and need to lay much more on to hide the bare brass and filler etc etc

• Like 1

I ordered a set of crew from NorthStar.

You have to be very, very patient with them, they don't reply by mail and the order can take months to arrive or not. By experience.

I've ordered from BNA in Australia so that it arrives faster, paradoxically.

On 06/08/2020 at 22:54, Iceman 29 said:

Tks Steve! 

Finally received the NorthStar Kriegsmarine figurines, 2 of the 3 sets, that I ordered from Australia and shipped on March 16, 2020 like what! ... 

It's very good quality, there's a bit of breakage, but these sailors are much more miles than the Bismarck 1:1 ...At least they arrived alive for most of them. 

Screenshot-2020-08-06-21-25-23-428.jpg

Screenshot-2020-08-06-21-26-24-994.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

On 9/21/2021 at 7:54 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Your paint consumption is transformational compared to most in this scale Guy. Most use much more but I perceive it's your preparation which is reducing your usage - most aren't working from a uniform colour undercoat and need to lay much more on to hide the bare brass and filler etc etc

No problem Jamie, I’ll use it all up on others I’m sure. But yes, the base colour is basically there already, it only requires a thin coat.

On 9/21/2021 at 7:57 PM, Iceman 29 said:

You have to be very, very patient with them, they don't reply by mail and the order can take months to arrive or not. By experience.

I've ordered from BNA in Australia so that it arrives faster, paradoxically.

Thanks Pascal, I didn’t know that, so thanks for giving me a heads up. Odd though really, you’d think it would be just as easy to post as the order comes in, maybe they save them up for one trip to the post office…

Not much further, other than I dropped this section trying to apply a pin wash. Looks like it’s been in a car crash.. that’s the problem with ship kits and PE - it’s so damned frangible! I hope it can be recovered. Bit gutted really. 🤨

4-ED24-B9-B-4-A32-4-BCA-9784-CCC16-FF924

Guy

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

On 9/21/2021 at 9:25 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Guy, it's VAT. Many small businesses flat refuse to collect taxes for British and European governments and all the administration that accompanies that. 

They don't have to! The Post Office, and any courier (Aramex, DHL Etc), will collect it for them! I've heard this from many US small businesses, it's because they only read half the rules!

Ian

• Like 3