Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

8 hours ago, Alan P said:

Spent a fascinating hour or so catching up with this epic build. 

I have to say I will avoid Scaledecks forever, I had the same fit issues with my 1/350 Missouri conversion and it's the main reason I haven't touched that build for 5 years 😔

This is looking supreme however, like a builder's model 👏👏👏

Hi Alan, thanks, it’s nice to know someone actually reads it! Yep, very frustrating re the decks, but nothing else is as nice either. I’ve been made a Beta tester on their Mikasa deck, so it will be interesting to compare. I just don’t know when I’ll get it. Best bet so far is November.

8 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

When you haven't even painted it yet and it looks that amazing, you know you've really smashed it. Looking fantastic Guy. And thank you for the extra info on pe!

David

Hi David,

Yes, I always like a brass looking model. I fear it will only look worse under paint! 

Thank you all for the comments.

Guy

• Like 2

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies 

Jamie, or anyone else? As I’m about to paint, can I get a definitive answer about which bits should be dark grey for the Fjord period pre the final voyage - eg gun barrels? Secondary armament? Decks etc.

I do see the general consensus on colour charts seem to be light grey for the aircraft deck (as Pascal has done) yet the photo recently posted of the catapult from above shows the deck there as distinctly dark?

Also the contentious main turret tops? I’m assuming dark grey from what I’ve read (and not the sloping sides) Please someone tell me I can do them red! 

I think the yellow was painted en route so - post hull stripes painted out. 

Basically, I’m trying to do this:

109-CEF04-F8-AF-41-DF-9-ED1-DDB2-A5470-F

Many thanks,

Guy

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Please someone tell me I can do them red! 

Perhaps red as the undercoat ?

Then, when you paint them with a (hopefully) historically accurate colour you will have satisfied your inner longing. :thumbsup:
Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Haha 2

Hi Guy,

Are you familiar with this site? It's probably the best Bismarck resource going:

https://www.kbismarck.com/gallery.html

For this sort of thing I usually make myself a list in Excel of which bits I need to paint which colour.

In general I agree with what you've written but this appears to be one of the last photographs of Bismarck in stripes and the main turrets have dark grey roofs including the sloped parts rather than just the flats.

photo060.jpg

Also seen here from Prinz Eugen:

photo037.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jamie!

But I think those have the superstructure stripes too? The fjord picture has them painted out and the sloping turrets in that photo look distinctly light grey.

I presume they did the overpainting at rest in the fjord, so it may have only had the hull stripes without the superstructure for a matter of hours?!

But you would do the 150mm and 105mm guns with dark tops too? 

Guy

Ok Guy, here it goes (but i don't think it's historically accurate): you can paint them red. Hope that helps!

I do think at this moment in her career a case can be made that they were yellow though? From Jamie's link, it does look as if the sloping side turret tops were a light grey whilst in Norway (in fact they look an incredibly lighter shade and appear closer to the background sky or false bow wave than to the light grey superstructure, but that could just be sunlight?).

I'm referring to these two links which I think is what your trying to get emulate: in Norway and hours after the hull stripes were painted over.

David

• Like 2

To avoid confusion, I think the tops are the dark grey as they should match the end half of the barrels of B and C turrets (which overlap A and D turrets), but the angled slopes, at this time, are the light grey of the superstructure (and just look lighter in the sun) and this was done when the Baltic camouflage scheme was being painted over (i.e. they lost the dark grey from the photos posted above which I think are of an earlier date/taken prior to Norway).

David

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

To avoid confusion, I think the tops are the dark grey as they should match the end half of the barrels of B and C turrets (which overlap A and D turrets), but the angled slopes, at this time, are the light grey of the superstructure (and just look lighter in the sun) and this was done when the Baltic camouflage scheme was being painted over (i.e. they lost the dark grey from the photos posted above which I think are of an earlier date/taken prior to Norway).

David

Ah right, so only the barrels on B&C and not A&D, good job you said that I would have done them all the same.

That said, there is this photo which shows Anton with dark grey barrels! 

89F4536D-817E-46A5-B5B0-BE2129E24C73.web

But then again! There’s this one one which seems to suggest dark barrels overall, but additionally red (?) on the overlap of the areas? And red turret tops, but with full Baltic stripes..

6B1F511C-AEEE-433D-8253-9BD6C7ADDD77.jpg

From what I’ve read the order to paint the turrets yellow only occurred once they were at sea, which if done, would mean no Baltic stripes as they were overpainted by then.

If only it were elementary my dear Watson… 

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

Thank you Jon, yes I had seen that and very interesting it is.

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 1

Ps if you zoom into Bruno turret in this photo (at the Fjord) you could convince yourself the barrels look the same as the last picture posted above ie two tone (not light grey) ie red! 🤩

Blast bag/ Dark Grey/ Red 

2-F9-A8-BC7-E958-4-E6-A-A476-4431790-B5-

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

Priming!

This is what I faced:

A4-D6-CFEB-BEF3-4773-B946-8088-DC2-E022-

I started with black primer, oversprayed that with grey primer, then highlighted areas with white primer (all the MRP fine surface primer range). Here’s a selection of the results:

4EBAF450-3B11-4477-BC17-7FEE3FDF3B9F.jpg

B1FF1316-2038-407B-95F5-6705F234F1CF.jpg

549D033B-A283-4AB2-9BF8-E0426D358A02.jpg

Normally a quick spray job taking a few minutes, this is a different kettle of fish! It took all afternoon and a couple of bottles of primer… 

Sovereign paints up next.

Guy 

• Like 11

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck *Primer

TIt all looks absolutely beautiful Guy! 

Knowing how fast a builder you are, it really says something about the amount of details and the complexity of the build... 

Take care

Fredrik

• Like 1

Hi Fredrik. Thanks for looking in.

Yes, I’m quite shocked how long this is taking! By far my longest build to date and still so much more to do… 

But I am finding I’m not rushing to finish for a change, just really enjoying each stage with no end date in mind. It makes for a much more relaxing state of mind!

Guy

• Like 2

Bit late now you've started to paint Guy, but there's a ship modeller in the states that leaves some of his unpainted showing all the brass. He reckons he gets more people looking at those than his painted ones.

Just clear coats it to stop the brass dulling.

• Like 2

I was just going to ask whether you'd consider leaving one in black and white as the above looks quite amazing. Funnily enough the model I spent most of the time looking at in the National Maritime Museum recently was the massive (builder's?) KGV by the front entrance adorned with unpainted brass parts, quite stunning.

David

• Like 1

Seems to me, not painting a model, means you have to be EXTREMELY tidy during the build. Way beyond me, I admit I use paint to try to cover my build skills short comings. However @Gisbod I reckon with this build, you could do it.

Jon

• Thanks 1

It is probably original with the unpainted PE. But this ship is very beautiful painted, one of the most beautiful and terrifying warship ever at the same time... You have to see it in real life to fully admire it, not in pictures.

Guy's copy is going to be very successful, as usual.

• Thanks 1

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

Couple of questions if I may…

I ordered some 1/200 fabric Kriegsmarine flags on line, but my money got returned with no explanation, so I guess they’re no longer doing them. I think it was a company called AMP. Any other sources?

Not Bismarck related, but why do British Battleships have X & Y turrets at the stern and not Y & Z? Just curious!

Thanks,

Guy