Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I tend not to have glass cabinets and my models are handled from time to time so I do use Infini Model elastic. It's better than EZLine insomuch as it's a round filament rather than a flat tape but it doesn't sag like the real stuff.

On modelwarships.com the brilliant Jim Baumann still uses stretched sprue and wrote a short bit about his technique for making it consistent in diameter. Basically he melts the end of the sprue, touches it to a bit of cardboard until it sticks then pulls sharply as far as his arm will go and what he gets as a result of this is remarkably consistent. Alternatively, the also brilliant Joseph Lavender uses ModelKasten tungsten wire. I haven't had my hands on that stuff personally but the results are excellent, although I'd say Jim's just pips it because he uses polystyrene glue to attach his stretched sprue which melts the tails into nothingness. Joe's are far from messy in this regard, but Jim's really stands up to very close inspection - I've judged one of Jim's models at Telford in 2019 so I know it's not just flattering photography!

To my way of thinking, the three things which let down the vast majority of rigging on 20th century warships are:

1) Excessive thickness - EZ Line is too thick for any popular scale

2) Inconsistent tension / sag

3) Ratty attachments with excess jutting out beyond where it would in real life be tied or shackled to the staff/gaff/mast/spar/boom (delete as appropriate).

Thanks Jamie and Pascal! Very helpful as usual. Yes, I have seen that and it does look very good. The monofilament appeal is purely its durability - it isn’t going to get knocked off and no blobs of glue, but that said there will of course be areas that I can’t attach a buckle (hole) to. I’ll probably use a combination of all the above. I do have Model Kasten and I used that for my 1/700 efforts to date. It looks fantastic, but still requires a blob of glue…

The judging comments are particularly helpful.

I’ve tackled the 150mm armament now, and blast barrels aside, no issues. I think I’m going to leave them off as this will be the neatest solution. I’m afraid I’d always go for the simple, cleaner option over accuracy (I can hear the sharp intake of breaths from here… ) 🤪

Guy

A5612956-6053-4-B9-D-A4-AD-62-C18-ABAB10

BD8-BDE27-F53-B-4-D8-E-AB04-01-A123788-B

• Like 10

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

Onwards and upwards…

The 105mm guns. These have quite a few parts, only improvements are the brass barrels.

78C6AE68-F93D-4E2B-B5FB-5BF9664C2E3A.jpg

73564C4A-ACCE-4E5E-AC79-74FE6188F957.jpg

Next up is the catapult. The kit part is one piece, the Pontos offering is about 50+!

Thanks,

Guy

• Like 9

Thanks Beefy,

Yes, I am, is it that obvious? 

I’ve had a request to show my PE gluing method. To be honest there’s not a lot to explain, but I do use a combination of glues. The Gator’s Thin Blend PVA has been the revelation on this build. I’ve had it for some time but I never really used it. Probably as I didn’t give it a proper go. It doesn’t have an instant stick, but it does hold after a few seconds held in place. The advantages are - it’s actually quite a strong bond and has a degree of flexibility, whereas CA has an instant bond, but it’s quite a fragile attachment. It will simply crack off under pressure. It can also be diluted so you can run in, by capillary action, by brush or similar. 

However there are instances I use others. Gorilla CA Gel is very good. Despite not hardening straight away, it does create a very quick bond, ideal for a piece that won’t, or is difficult to, hold in place instantly. I find thin CA tricky to control (by its very nature) it can make a mess very quickly! But it is appropriate at times. It’s just a judgement call on which one works for the item involved.

Ultimately, the PVA is the most forgiving. It easily wipes off or peels off when dry. I use very small amounts. It also can act as a filler where there’s a small gap. It dries almost invisibly and if there is any apparent, it will disappear under a matt or satin varnish to match the model.

So I have managed to complete the catapult. It was quite good fun actually. Quite complex and looks a hundred times better than the single kit part. I do have a question - the cover plate that goes over the catapult when not in use - how does it sit on the deck in the open position? I’m loathe to cover up the exposed catapult as it looks so nice!

0-BFDDB5-F-2-AF8-41-D6-AE91-FFA2-B2-C1-E

Here are the (not easy to follow) instructions, I can’t work out why the cover plate is represented here running under the funnel? *

And why is the catapult depicted here in the incorrect position? *

705-D65-A4-C2-B0-45-DD-AE41-0-FB62-E0-D2

Thanks,

Guy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ah thanks Pascal, that’s a lot clearer! 

The catapult is in two distinct sections  - and each extend outwards, leaving a gap in the middle. Are these, in effect, two catapults, one for each side? 

Another question I have is colour of the non wood decks. I see you’ve depicted yours as the same colour as the superstructure - but some have this as a dark grey? I’d like any opportunity to keep it all the same colour as it allows me to fix railings in place pre painting… a job I dislike post painting!

And finally, I gave in to peer pressure, and replaced the wire grab holds on the turrets . I took Jamie’s suggestion of leaving the mounting points and just changing the wire. I ended up using stretched sprue, which seems to have done the job, the PVA glue worked well again, I imagine any polystyrene glue would just melt it. It’s so fine it kinks just by the heat of holding it gently in your fingers… I have to admit, it looks a lot better now. 

Guy

ps next update will be putting the whole thing together to check everything is as it should be prior to painting. There’s still lots to do, but I think I’m at the point where I can paint what I’ve done so far.

33B2F744-1F19-4807-AF69-A7F3A6C65BF9.jpg

• Like 10

When I first started following this WIP, I thought 1/200 is an excellent idea. But the more I see, I think I’ll stick with 1/350. 1/200 the detail is SCARY.

A most excellent build so far, you have my adoration, way over my skill level.

Jon

• Haha 2

Thanks Pascal,

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

When I first started following this WIP, I thought 1/200 is an excellent idea. But the more I see, I think I’ll stick with 1/350. 1/200 the detail is SCARY.

A most excellent build so far, you have my adoration, way over my skill level.

Jon

I dunno Jon, it’s certainly a big project, but to be honest I’m finding it much easier in a bigger scale. The 1/700 Bissie was just as much effort, but it didn’t look so good in close ups, so this is more rewarding really as it just looks better. It’s the most fun model I’ve ever built for sure. Treat yourself, you won’t regret it! 😊 

Guy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gisbod said:

Treat yourself, you won’t regret it! 😊 

I might not, but ‘she who must be obeyed’ would have a very strong opinion. And where would I put it ? It’s huge.

Jon

• Haha 2

😂

10 hours ago, Faraway said:

I might not, but ‘she who must be obeyed’ would have a very strong opinion. And where would I put it ? It’s huge.

Jon

Just sneak the box past her Jon - say it’s an ironing board for her Christmas present… what could go wrong?

Question re display case. Any thoughts?

I see Agora models who make the magazine piece by piece version 1/200 Bismarck have a dedicated case on pre order at £169. But it worries me it comes flat packed in 6 pieces - so I can’t imagine it’s very good quality? Trumpeter do one too, very pricey though and not sure if they’re available anywhere?

Any other ideas? Although I won’t be displaying it at home (but could be in the garage I suppose) I don’t want this one just to end up in the bin if I can help it. I have this notion of donating her somewhere where she could at least be seen. I’m sure a museum wouldn’t want a plastic kit, but any thoughts here also? 

Ta

Guy

Edit* I think the Agora kit is not piece by piece after all - just a kit 

Edited by Gisbod
  • Haha 1

Ps I’d love to take her to Telford if she turns out ok - but can’t imagine getting her there in one piece… I can just picture opening the boot and finding a pile of plastic and brass parts rattling around!

Anyone have experience of moving a large delicate ship?! 

Guy

Gidday Guy, I made some boxes for transporting my model ships but they're a bit smaller than yours. 

Prinz Eugen in transport frame 3_1500px

I've made half a dozen different sizes, with heavy wood bases for stability and sides high enough to protect the masts. Foam inside stops them bouncing around, and I reach in from both ends to insert or extract the model. Admittedly these models are 1/600 scale Airfix builds but the transport boxes work a treat for me - no damage at all since I've done them. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That looks excellent Jeff!

I’d need to knock one up the size of a coffin though 😆

I can just imagine wincing over every jolt and pothole from the south coast to Telford…

Guy

Gidday again, the foam keeps the model in place, and at the same time absorbs some of the shock. As your model is much larger just add thicker layers of foam. I've not had any damage during transport, but admittedly I've no delicate PE to worry about. Best of luck, it would be a shame for your Bizzies to miss out on their debuts. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Ps I’d love to take her to Telford if she turns out ok - but can’t imagine getting her there in one piece… I can just picture opening the boot and finding a pile of plastic and brass parts rattling around!

Anyone have experience of moving a large delicate ship?! 

Guy

I've been wanting to get to Telford for the show since 2018, always something thag comes up, I guess it'll be next year now, 

That of course would give you chance to do a 1/350 as well then you could have one in all the scales 😉

Sam

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff and Sam,

Is SMW definitely on this year?

Ok, here’s the big update 😃 I’ve put together everything I’ve done so far and everything seems to fit. Please excuse the curly decks and gaps- nothing stuck down yet, just a big pile of Jenga - I’m going see how many sections I can pull out from below before she topples 🤪 (not really).

I think I’m at the painting point next! 

Guy

66F683D7-219A-494E-863F-3495109449D4.jpg

80E53017-38E3-4ECA-8170-4256EAEE1D67.jpg

8CCA489C-E28A-4BCF-8979-F648ABA925AE.jpg

A8623F2D-34E8-4F57-B8A7-EC032316A670.jpg

EE980064-D576-47BE-8E13-868BDF5EA478.jpg

5F2679BD-CC1E-4897-9DBD-FF5539D559EE.jpg

3709409A-8D92-40B1-97AF-D0DE1D87C5F6.jpg

13928021-FFDD-4443-8-B35-4114-C91-ABB5-F

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck *BIG Update!

Looks great now, gonna look even better with some make up on, 

As for SMW, I checked a few weeks ago and it seemed off but just googled and it says its on, advance ticket sales only, 

I look forward to seeing her in person!....no pressure 

Sam

• Haha 1

Spent a fascinating hour or so catching up with this epic build. 

I have to say I will avoid Scaledecks forever, I had the same fit issues with my 1/350 Missouri conversion and it's the main reason I haven't touched that build for 5 years 😔

This is looking supreme however, like a builder's model 👏👏👏

• Like 1