Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

Thanks 😊

I think I’ve largely finished the hangars. I’ve added some detail to the door interior (must remember to add some to the side of the funnel where these attach also…)

Many thanks for the help regarding the door openings. I think I’m there now. 

I might start the turrets next! 😀

Guy

F6-A56-EB5-D066-419-F-ACD6-963-D3-E85-EA

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 8

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck *Hangars
On 30/08/2021 at 18:39, Gisbod said:

… just thought I’d add another photo in context…

Guy

3-A8-CC45-E-6-E53-4-EB1-9693-C297-C327-F

Very good work Guy, better than mine.

I just saw that I forgot to mount a ventilation duct.

Funny, we took almost the same picture from the same angle.

The Eduard PE kit is slightly different for this part.

Good progress, we can see that you enjoy building this ship. It's a nice model.

• Like 1

Thanks all, 

8 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

How are you finding working with pe in 1/200 as opposed to the smaller version?

David

David - it’s definitely more enjoyable, but I’m still surprised at how teeny and fiddly some of it is! Some of the railings seem like silk thread.. which makes you realise how over scale 1/700 must be.

The best bit though is the close up photography - which still looks ok. I find that 1/700 is very difficult to look great up close - even though it looks good to the old Mk.1 eyeball.

The whole project so far has been great fun - and exceeded my expectations. I thought I was mad buying such a beast - but it’s only been a positive experience… 

Guy

• Like 1

I’ve leapt into the turrets 😃

The Pontos brass and resin is particularly nice and a big step up from the kit I think. I’ve hacked off the plastic barrels to fit into the resin. They look rather like cannons off one of Nelson’s ships now… 

E8-C21-FFD-9-EEB-481-F-9410-9-AA968-B1-F

A quick comparison between barrels - as if you needed to see any more proof! 

EC45-D743-0-BC9-43-C9-952-E-C6-F84-FB5-A

Guy

• Like 11

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck *Turrets

That's much better. Brass barrels are well worth the work and may even be less work than trying to make kit barrels clean and uniformly round. Even once painted you can usually tell the difference fairly quickly between turned metal barrels and injection moulded plastic ones. Keep up the good work :)

• Like 2

Morning,

I’ve been struggling a bit with the turrets to be honest, but I’m there now. It was the PE rails that frame them. I just couldn’t get them to stick and stay put. They’re very fine brass and have nothing to attach to other than just balancing them on the surface. I did them about 3 times but they just kept being knocked off or fell off randomly. I got to that stage where I avoided the bench for a few days! Then I thought, this just isn’t working so I tried another method - I replaced the PE with 0.3mm brass rod into pre drilled holes which, although fiddly, worked a treat.

However, I've just re looked at pictures of the real turrets and these are virtually invisible! I guess there are literally wire grab lines? So mine now are way over scale! I don’t know why I didn’t look before I did them, but to be fair, I was just replicating the PE which is the same size… that’s my excuse anyway! 

The plan is to paint the blast bags and barrels separately, but I’m slightly worried about attaching them post paint as they’re a bit fiddly to get to sit right in the apertures, but I’d prefer that to painting in situ I think…

Anyway, at least I’m moving on to another section now, maybe the secondary armament then probably paint everything I’ve done so far. I’ll leave all the fiddly other bits to another stage then paint those separately.

Guy

03-CDB7-B1-E6-C1-4-DAA-8-C20-A1-F7973-FA

DEFD8348-D9-AB-4-DC7-9399-AB8-DD066-A14-

8-BAAC5-B8-B91-D-4-D91-BFD7-408-C547-AA4

13-D8-C1-C9-E0-D9-49-FF-8-A57-0-EBD0578-

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

However, I've just re looked at pictures of the real turrets and these are virtually invisible! I guess there are literally wire grab lines? So mine now are way over scale!

I think these look absolutely fine, a slather of paint will probably blend them into the turrets and make them virtually invisible.

David

• Like 1

If concerned about the rails, then why not keep the verticals, lose the horizontals and use rigging line to make the hand wire?

Looking really good though. Pontos' blast bags are really beautiful things aren't they?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback,

Jamie, yes, that certainly is a possibility, I’ll probably put them to one side and see how I feel in a few days. I know they’re vastly overscale, but it is exacerbated by the macro photography, they look neat and trim to the eye. 

On to the 150mm guns, again lovely brass.

A0-DBE63-B-C6-FA-4-B14-9-B90-D4-A2-BD4-F

…But the blast bags seem deformed, none of them fit which will require a degree of filler and also painting them in situ which is not a game stopper but not as neat as slipping them on post painting. I guess I could just leave them off and say they’ve been sent to the launderettes? 😆

5-F8727-E9-E30-E-422-B-BC39-518309-F7-F1

Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Guy

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Thanks for the feedback,

Jamie, yes, that certainly is a possibility, I’ll probably put them to one side and see how I feel in a few days. I know they’re vastly overscale, but it is exacerbated by the macro photography, they look neat and trim to the eye. 

On to the 150mm guns, again lovely brass.

A0-DBE63-B-C6-FA-4-B14-9-B90-D4-A2-BD4-F

…But the blast bags seem deformed, none of them fit which will require a degree of filler and also painting them in situ which is not a game stopper but not as neat as slipping them on post painting. I guess I could just leave them off and say they’ve been sent to the launderettes? 😆

5-F8727-E9-E30-E-422-B-BC39-518309-F7-F1

Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Guy

You'd need a big washing machine....

• Haha 2

Hi David,

they’re all identical - so any one on any turret, but they’re definitely deformed, they’re also solid resin, they’re meant to be hollow like the main barrels. I honestly don’t think they’re usable. They look fine without, I guess it won’t be accurate for the colour scheme I’m using, but as you say, there are plenty of pictures of German warships with them off. Again, I’ll put them to one side to ponder further!

Quick rigging question. I really want to avoid ezyline as much as I can, I’d like to use monofilament with buckles as I do my WW1 aircraft, but there’re going to be a ton of attachment points that I’ll have to pre plan before painting if I go that route (or rout for our American colleagues 😋). I just think in this scale, it would benefit from something other than elastic. Anyone have experience of this? How do you go about rigging generally?

I’ll probably mix and match mediums I guess. Are there any 1/200 ish rigging pulleys / attachments available to buy anywhere?

Thanks,

Guy

Ps yes, they’d only fit one elevation…

Edited by Gisbod

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck *Rigging Question

I tend not to have glass cabinets and my models are handled from time to time so I do use Infini Model elastic. It's better than EZLine insomuch as it's a round filament rather than a flat tape but it doesn't sag like the real stuff.

On modelwarships.com the brilliant Jim Baumann still uses stretched sprue and wrote a short bit about his technique for making it consistent in diameter. Basically he melts the end of the sprue, touches it to a bit of cardboard until it sticks then pulls sharply as far as his arm will go and what he gets as a result of this is remarkably consistent. Alternatively, the also brilliant Joseph Lavender uses ModelKasten tungsten wire. I haven't had my hands on that stuff personally but the results are excellent, although I'd say Jim's just pips it because he uses polystyrene glue to attach his stretched sprue which melts the tails into nothingness. Joe's are far from messy in this regard, but Jim's really stands up to very close inspection - I've judged one of Jim's models at Telford in 2019 so I know it's not just flattering photography!

To my way of thinking, the three things which let down the vast majority of rigging on 20th century warships are:

1) Excessive thickness - EZ Line is too thick for any popular scale

2) Inconsistent tension / sag

3) Ratty attachments with excess jutting out beyond where it would in real life be tied or shackled to the staff/gaff/mast/spar/boom (delete as appropriate).

• Thanks 1