Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

Thanks Jeff & David 😀

20 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

You've folded it very cleanly but to me what stands out is how you've attached it with out any mess and goop, is it CA you use?

Sam, I’m just using my Gators Thin Blend PVA again. It’s great stuff. I use it sparingly, but it’s still quite a strong bond, but not with an ‘instant’ stick - which gives you a bit of ‘wiggle’ time. It tends to disappear once dried, but any left overs can be removed with a knife or sharpened tooth pick. CA’s pretty horrible for PE in my experience, it invariably leaves a right mess! 

Guy

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gisbod said:

Thanks Jeff & David 😀

Sam, I’m just using my Gators Thin Blend PVA again. It’s great stuff. I use it sparingly, but it’s still quite a strong bond, but not with an ‘instant’ stick - which gives you a bit of ‘wiggle’ time. It tends to disappear once dried, but any left overs can be removed with a knife or sharpened tooth pick. CA’s pretty horrible for PE in my experience, it invariably leaves a right mess! 

Guy

Ah you saying that I remember discussion about this earlier in the thread, I've looked for gators can't find it anywhere, I've had hit and miss results with ca, I've seen others talk about using evo stick as well which I guess is pva based, 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

I've looked for gators can't find it anywhere

I think I've seen a couple of references in other threads about the manufacturer being affected by one of the wild fires in the United States last year.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

I think I've seen a couple of references in other threads about the manufacturer being affected by one of the wild fires in the United States last year.

Oh that's not good to hear at all, 

Nice work on that brass Guy. You're working on the Range Finders if interested. Those big tubes sticking out horizontally are the optical part of it. Knowing the exact width of the overall rangefinder the operator adjusts the angles of the mirrors on either end of the range finder until they see one image, and the device reads off the range based on trigonometry given the angle the lenses triangulate in to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Nice work on that brass Guy. You're working on the Range Finders if interested. Those big tubes sticking out horizontally are the optical part of it. Knowing the exact width of the overall rangefinder the operator adjusts the angles of the mirrors on either end of the range finder until they see one image, and the device reads off the range based on trigonometry given the angle the lenses triangulate in to.

Ah of course Jamie, that makes much more sense! Thank you, yes I’m always interested in the workings of a ship. I have a low knowledge base to start with, so it needs building up.

Guy

• Like 1

This is my favourite glue for attaching photo-etch and a myriad of other materials:

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/auxiliary-products-glues/1935-ultra-glue.html

It is easy to use and doesn't grab instantly giving plenty of time to align components.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Thanks,

6 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

Let me offer "further reading": http://www.kbismarck.com/controltiri.html

Ah that’s really great! Very interesting read… Thanks.

I’ve just about finished the forward superstructures. Lots more detail to add, but I’m as far as I can go before painting, adding the wooden decks etc. So here’s where I’m at. I don’t know about you, but I tend to flick about rather than rigidly follow any set path. It has been a fairly complicated build - following three sets of instructions - the kit/ Pontos/ Scaledecks, then on top of that you have to plan what to build before painting etc I hate gluing details on post painting, but some you just have to, most noticeably, the railings where the deck colour differs or using the wooden decks.

How anyone does this with camouflage on the superstructures (or Baltic Stripes) is beyond me. 🥴

D984-ACF6-F8-E7-4911-82-E6-3-D0-B2-C032-

79-CD218-A-14-FE-4766-80-AF-D02-E399054-

11544-EEF-FB5-B-408-F-8-D3-B-E609-B46-F4

09-B7-C1-F3-C4-F2-493-D-82-C3-83514-CC77

And putting it all together, not glued, I’m just playing Battleships!

2-EE52712-2-CFD-4-EE4-BA42-F656-A943-A63

E3-CFA844-F554-4-A07-B69-B-B8-D1-D662-C9

Thanks, 

Guy

• Like 9

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck *Photos
On 18/08/2021 at 20:10, S-boat 55 said:

You've folded it very cleanly but to me what stands out is how you've attached it with out any mess and goop, is it CA you use?

I’m with you all the way, here. The attachment of the PE is outstanding, @Gisbodwhat is your secret ?

Thanks Zach, yep will do, you’ve been very helpful 😀

36 minutes ago, Faraway said:

I’m with you all the way, here. The attachment of the PE is outstanding, @Gisbodwhat is your secret ?

No secret really, just Gators Glue and lots of swearing! 🤬

Guy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Guy! 

I've spent several days now catching up with this thread! As fantastic work as any I've seen you perform on an aircraft and this is both bigger and smaller at the same time! 🙌🙌

And there is another thread for another ship?!

Cheers Fredrik

• Like 1

Thanks Matt!

Hi Fredrik,

Nice to see you over here 😀 yes, tiny scale for Aeroplaners but it’s over 4 feet long! 🙃

Yep, I succumbed to buying another ship.. 1/200 again.. I must be mad… 

Guy

19 hours ago, Gisbod said:

How anyone does this with camouflage on the superstructures (or Baltic Stripes) is beyond me. 🥴

Very nice work again Guy.

I have the painting problem on the Iowa, in the scheme I'm doing her in, a quarter of the aft funnel is gray and the rest black but some of the PE straddles the divide between the colours...

Edited by johndon

Just moving on to the stern end superstructure, and I’m looking at the hangar door. I’d like to have this partially open (it slides along a rail) but there’s a separate part for a hatch door at the top (see picture) - presumably to give room for the tail fin of the Arado? 

Does anyone have any pictures of the door open? I’ve looked but only come across closed ones. I just want to know if the top hatch swings open?

Thanks, 

Guy

4-BAE886-A-D176-4728-9-B24-789-FE758944-

• Like 1

Hi Colin,

I just use sparingly and if I can see any afterwards, it scrapes off really easily with a sharpened toothpick or similar. I guess wiping with a damp brush is a good idea too. 

It does say about thinning it and using a brush to apply, but I haven’t found the need to do that yet, but I may for the bigger railings. I’m basically learning as I’m going along.

Guy

Hiyo Guy, was going to guess but glad I didn't, the main hanger port side door opens on its left vertical (as you look at it, I though across the top horizontal) according to the anatomy of a ship book.  The number 3 hanger appears to swing open on the right hand side vertical (as you look at it), I found this for that one:

David

Edited by Adm Lord De Univers
originally incorrect
  • Thanks 1

According to some sources that photo shows Ar-196 on Tirpitz and not Bismarck, so that needs to be checked-out first, as it seems  there were some differences in hangar construction between two ships.

Edited by Zacharias
  • Thanks 1