Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

Hello all,

Possibly a slightly premature post, as I haven’t got the said kit yet, but I have lots of questions! 

I’ve been rambling on about maybe getting a 1/200 kit for a project on my 1/700 Bismarck build thread, and thought I probably ought to give it its own topic as I nearly bought one last night, and may well later today 🥴 Bonkers really, as I’ve nowhere to put it, but once I get a bee in my bonnet, I can’t shake it loose!

It didn’t have to be the Bismarck, but in terms of aftermarket and availability, it seems the obvious choice. I would have liked HMS Hood, but a couple of things held me back - no sea plane (I like having an aircraft to model)/ more expensive/ less aftermarket.

The aftermarket options are slightly daunting, and here’s where I want some advice. Pontos do a ‘Super Detailed’ set and above that, an ‘Advanced’ set (15 sheets of PE compared to 11 on the SD). Mk.I Models do a deluxe set. Ka do a set, Trumpeter do their own set and the rather unfortunately named ‘I Love ♥️ Kit’ do a set!

Not all are easy to source. I have tracked down the ‘I Love Kit’ set 66602 from a UK model shop which seems to be the Pontos set re boxed? (but under the Trumpeter label) But which set it is I don’t know.

The above offerings come with wooden decks, but I am rather attracted to the Scaledecks one. I think I’d have to get one from the States if I go down this route. Any thoughts on decks? I know one Scaledeck version comes with swastikas and one plain. I haven’t decided on a scheme yet (if any!).

I realise there’s a ton of 3D (expensive!) printed parts out there. Any essentials? 

As I have no patience at all, I may buy later, but I’d appreciate a quick heads up before I do?

I’d be very grateful for any input/ advice/ derision… ASAP!

Thanks in advance,

Guy

ps any links to stellar build threads of the aforementioned kit would be helpful too…

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

How about HMS Rodney? Nice Admiralty Disruptive pattern camouflage and a Supermarine Walrus on X turret :)

Ooh yes, I will look and check availability/ prices/ aftermarket. A Walrus makes my mouth water 😛. I could always do a captured Walrus on the Bismarck deck 😬

2 hours ago, johndon said:

For a stellar build of the kit, you could do no better than to look at this thread:

Ah yes, I have seen Pascal’s thread - excellent!

Thanks John.

Guy

Guy I hope you realise how much bigger the 1/200 scale kits are and if you can get them go for the PONTOS sets a lot of stuff in the box for your money.

This is just with the kit parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Guy I hope you realise how much bigger the 1/200 scale kits are and if you can get them go for the PONTOS sets a lot of stuff in the box for your money.

This is just with the kit parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

Crikey Beefy,

It’s bigger than your washing machine. Must be tricky doing all that fiddly PE during the spin cycle 🤪

Looks beautiful! Is it ongoing?

I’ve been Googling today researching kits. I think I’m set on the Bismarck with the Trumpeter Detail set (Pontos) 66602. I’ll get a Scaledecks wooden deck too if I can get my sticky mitts on one. Anyone want to sell one? The Detail set comes with a wood deck, but Scaledecks do seem to be the Rolls Royce of decks. Anyone have experience of them?

Anything else you’d have? I’ll probably chuck the kitchen sink at this one…

Guy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gisbod said:

I’ll get a Scaledecks wooden deck too if I can get my sticky mitts on one. Anyone want to sell one? The Detail set comes with a wood deck, but Scaledecks do seem to be the Rolls Royce of decks. Anyone have experience of them?

I'd suggest you check out the Pontos deck first as I suspect that you'll have very little to complain about...

I've had both MK1 Design (sold a few weeks ago) and Scaledecks in my hands. Scaledecks wins hands down! 

So I also bought the Scaledecks deck for my Titanic trumpeter 1/200 that I will start as soon as I have time, it's beautiful:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve gone completely mad and bought the kit 🤔 Defies all logic. Don’t tell the wife.

Looking around online gave a huge range of prices, I finally bought from a model shop in Germany along with the Trumpeter (Pontos) Detail set 66602. To be honest it was a complete bargain. However, I did momentarily forget the blooming monstrous custom charges! Pirates! At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask… Not sure what they’ll be? Any ideas? Anyway, I paid £185 for the kit and £175 for the detail set and £30 postage. The kit alone seems to retail for about £269 in most UK shops.

@Iceman 29 Thanks for the interesting video Pascal. I’ve contacted Scaledecks and they have one in stock, so that’s another addition to come. I went for the one with Swastikas. I’ll be going over your build thread with a fine tooth comb.. any tips having built her? 

Other extras available that anyone would recommend? I haven’t looked into the dark side of 3D printing yet 🙃

I think this will be the colour scheme I’m plumping for:

C04311-C6-D4-D2-449-F-81-B1-AB2-C3-D1778

109-CEF04-F8-AF-41-DF-9-ED1-DDB2-A5470-F

The light funnel top is novel. Would this have been bare metal?

And so the adventure begins (I just hope it has an end!) 🤭 Most expensive model I’ve ever bought…

Guy 

• Like 6

We can think that it was painted aluminum color high temperature. It is a hot place, moreover, the small pipes correspond to the exit of the steam safety valves of the machine and the steam bleed valves, it is very hot, a normal paint would not resist.

gallbismportmidshipsection106.jpg

Screenshot-2021-06-30-12-34-11-572.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, johndon said:

I'd suggest you check out the Pontos deck first as I suspect that you'll have very little to complain about...

I’m sure that’s sound advice John, but I have looked at both in some detail online, the Scaledecks one does seem to be a bit of a luxury, but I have now ordered one anyway… what the heck.

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Guy, good luck with the build. Regards, Jeff.

Many thanks Jeff just think of your scale x3 😃

3 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

We can think that it was painted aluminum color high temperature. It is a hot place, moreover, the small pipes correspond to the exit of the steam safety valves of the machine and the steam bleed valves, it is very hot, a normal paint would not resist.

gallbismportmidshipsection106.jpg

Screenshot-2021-06-30-12-34-11-572.jpg

Thanks Pascal,

That’s noticeably metallic in the last picture.

Guy

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gisbod said:

I’ve gone completely mad and bought the kit 🤔 Defies all logic. Don’t tell the wife.

Looking around online gave a huge range of prices, I finally bought from a model shop in Germany along with the Trumpeter (Pontos) Detail set 66602. To be honest it was a complete bargain. However, I did momentarily forget the blooming monstrous custom charges! Pirates! At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask… Not sure what they’ll be? Any ideas? Anyway, I paid £185 for the kit and £175 for the detail set and £30 postage. The kit alone seems to retail for about £269 in most UK shops.

@Iceman 29 Thanks for the interesting video Pascal. I’ve contacted Scaledecks and they have one in stock, so that’s another addition to come. I went for the one with Swastikas. I’ll be going over your build thread with a fine tooth comb.. any tips having built her? 

Other extras available that anyone would recommend? I haven’t looked into the dark side of 3D printing yet 🙃

And so the adventure begins (I just hope it has an end!) 🤭 Most expensive model I’ve ever bought…

Guy 

Good luck Guy 👍

• Thanks 1

Gidday, for years I've been looking at photos of Bismarck, seen dozens of them, but I've never noticed the metallic tint of the funnel top before. Now that's been pointed out it's quite obvious in some photos. Many thanks for the info. But as my own model of the ship, an OOB build of a Revell kit in 1/570, was done about 15 years ago and contains a few other errors I think I'll leave it as it is. But if I ever do another model of her him  .  .  .

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Re the customs charges...a lot will depend on if the retailer included the VAT on the transaction, since Brexit some seem to and some not, I think its if the goods are worth more than £135 then VAT is effectively charged at the border rather than at the point of sale, or if the transaction is made outside of the UK, eBay for example when you buy from abroad often the transaction is made within the UK so they add the VAT upfront,  don't hold me to any of this though, I think its how its supposed to work but I  reality who knows, then I think there's a 2.5% customs charge, sorry I probably saying things you don't want to hear..either way I'd expect its still going to come out cheaper than buying it here, some shops seem to add a hefty markup on some kits

Will be interested to see your build start and progress, I've a 1/350 to do at some point, problem is there's never enough hours in the day 

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Re the customs charges...a lot will depend on if the retailer included the VAT on the transaction, since Brexit some seem to and some not, I think its if the goods are worth more than £135 then VAT is effectively charged at the border rather than at the point of sale, or if the transaction is made outside of the UK, eBay for example when you buy from abroad often the transaction is made within the UK so they add the VAT upfront,  don't hold me to any of this though, I think its how its supposed to work but I  reality who knows, then I think there's a 2.5% customs charge, sorry I probably saying things you don't want to hear..either way I'd expect its still going to come out cheaper than buying it here, some shops seem to add a hefty markup on some kits

Will be interested to see your build start and progress, I've a 1/350 to do at some point, problem is there's never enough hours in the day 

Thanks,

Yep, I just forgot all about it when I ordered! But as you say, it would have to be pretty hefty to be more expensive than the UK, it was basically £200 cheaper for the both. C'est la vie.

There’s an excellent build log over on Ship Models:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167645

But I’m slightly worried by the fact he bemoans the fit of the Scaledecks deck? How did you find it Pascal? @Iceman 29  

Guy

ps there are some rather wonderful pictures of Bismarck here…

https://www.historyphotos.org/galleries/bis-collection-01

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Guy 

I have a sneaking suspicion the wife will deduce your cunning plans pretty much upon its arrival...but good luck on both fronts.

David

11 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

I stumbled on that photo site just the other day, iys excellent isn't it

What fit will you go for?, not a huge amount of change of course its often a case of with or without camo stripes

Hi S-boat 55 😛

Yes, it’s incredible! 

Initial thoughts are the Korsfjord version, with Hull stripes only.

11 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I have a sneaking suspicion the wife will deduce your cunning plans pretty much upon its arrival...but good luck on both fronts.

David

Hmmm, you may be right David 😆 I’m trying to think of things I could tell her when the box arrives, I ordered a coffin perhaps? 🤔

Guy

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gisbod said:

I ordered a coffin perhaps?

Gidday, be careful, often a true word spoken in jest. 😁 She may decide to bury you in the box, in several pieces if required to make you fit into it. 😲 Good luck. Regards, Jeff.

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, be careful, often a true word spoken in jest. 😁 She may decide to bury you in the box, in several pieces if required to make you fit into it. 😲 Good luck. Regards, Jeff.

I think she’ll be able to get me in without the necessity of any sawing 😆

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Micro-Master do extremely good resin guns etc. I think they have a few for 1/200 Kriegsmarine. 

I got almost everything for a 1/144 Flower Class Corvette and was blown away by the quality.

Just had a look Dave, and yes, they look awesome, but surprisingly, there’s only one item that would suit - a set of 4 turrets for $180! 

There’s a heap of Imperial German Navy 1/100 fittings. Any idea what kits they are aimed at?! 

I’m now struggling to complete my 1/700 Bissie. A fate that often happens once I’ve got a new project in my head. It’s a failing of mine 🤨

Guy

• Haha 2

Ps

A company called Model Monkey do some Bismarck related items.

https://www.model-monkey.com/germany-200

Anyone had experience of them?

I’m not convinced yet anyway. I’ll wait for the kit to get here first and see what I’ve got to work with. Whilst this level of detail is desirable, I do think the look of the finished kit comes down to a clean, well painted build, rather than how detailed she is. Obviously nice to have both! 

Guy