Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

6 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Providing you're planning on decorating your room by airbrush then maybe the spare tin will do for the walls afterall... or you can build Scharnhorst next :)

I’m eyeing Scharnhorst already! Just no aftermarket yet I think 🤔

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

Out of curiousity how long did the anti fouling take to do, 

Hi Sam,

No time at at all, easiest area to mask off and probably 5 mins to paint.. 

Guy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Excellent progress so far Guy - curious whether you are planning to add any crew figures to this build?

4 hours ago, Gisbod said:

I’m eyeing Scharnhorst already! Just no aftermarket yet I think

Thought you might say thar and no doubt the aftermarket community will be filling the gaps by the time you have finished the Bismark 

• Thanks 1

Ah thanks Richard,

Yes, I think I am, they would add a lot of interest I think. I guess NorthStar is the way to go?

Having a play with the Scaledecks deck. Beautiful, but, not quite so impressed with the fit, most of it minor, but quite a misjudgment between the secondary armament on both sides. It will take a fair amount of cutting to get it to sit right.

BB77299-D-FDBA-4245-8-DEA-DF92437-EC434.

Curiously, there’s also a big overlap between the two pieces here, can’t imagine why? 

4-DCCEE5-A-D29-C-4810-B0-EA-A2-D71-B0-FB

And, you probably can’t see in the photo, but quite a few of the holes are just a micro millimetre out. The previous decks I’ve used from Pontos/ Flyhawk/ BlueWox have all been a perfect drop fit. Just a little disappointing perhaps considering it was £100.

277-E438-D-8-DCA-4-FE8-9116-708-AF1-AB1-

Nothing that can’t be fixed though, and it sure will look pretty when done, as long as I can keep the glue off the top surfaces!

Guy

• Like 8

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck *Wood Deck

The surface of those decks look superb, but as you say, for the money, the fit is really not good.

Good luck with the fixing work, I'm sure you will sort it!

Terry

• Like 1

Really impressed with the colouring of the deck but that fit round the secondary armament is pretty bad, it is going to take a fair bit of surgery to correct that without it being obvious...

• Like 1

That's really weird. It's almost like it's swollen - only wood doesn't really swell much along its grain. Perhaps the best thing to do is get nifty and cut round the outline of the planks like a square waveform to give you an invisible join there. Normally his decks have been perfect fits when I've seen them used before. I wonder what's happened here 😕 It's just a PDF cutting file followed by a laser, and he doesn't make the PDF until he's iterated into a master pattern that fits his sample kit.

• Thanks 1

Yep, I can’t see how it can be wrong really, as you say, it must have been trial fitted and with modern technology, how can it alter? 

I don’t think it’s warped in any way, although I did give it a coat of varnish (as they recommended). That did make it curl up, but flattened down again once dry and weighted down.

I have sent them a photo, but not really expecting any response. It’s just frustrating as I’ll have to either cut the circle bigger (which won’t be easy if I’m going to keep it ‘invisible’) or along plank lines as you suggest.. 

But… it still looks miles better than anything else I’ve seen! 

Guy

Ps I did also ask them if it’s possible to have a 1/200 Hood or Scharnhorst deck made, they do say they customise on their website and they’ve got a 1/350 version. 

It’s odd how soon you get used to the scale. My 1/700 Bissie looks ludicrous now. It’s just nice working in this scale. I could get used to it.

• Like 2

Ps 

I want to add the obligatory subtle (oil paint) rust streaks on the hull, but just realised the paint is enamel (I’m used to using acrylics) so I guess I’ll have to give it a coat of acrylic varnish first. I think it will have to be a matt /semi rattle can - any recommendations?

Guy

• Like 1

I've been using Aquagloss. Aerosols can be hit or miss - the solvents in them can upset the enamel and cause some wrinkling if you are inadvertently a bit heavy-handed. Airbrush would be better I think - your paint job is too nice to spoil!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gisbod said:

My 1/700 Bissie looks ludicrous now

Ohhhh, woteva bro! You can't even fit in the bath with it and go pew pew! Now where's my 1/1200 Yama, better not have gone down the plughole again...

And I still think your titchy bissie looked epic. Poor little thing, all alone and scared, knowing this actual, ginormous boat is lurking about.

Deck looks stunning. I've also seen these before and the fit has always looked impeccable, see what they say as I think you've just got a one-off duff (maybe those scuff marks are related to this issue - like when paper gets caught in a printer)?

David

• Like 1

Yep, thanks Jamie, but it’s a matt finish I need  really for the oils, I’m not doing a pin wash so I can bypass the gloss coat, I may a) just leave it, or b) try and do it without white spirits, just drag the oils as they are, but I’d need to experiment. As you say, be a shame to make it go all crinkly! 

Thanks David, have you been drinking?  😜  but yes, little Bissy does look rather forlorn at the moment… 

Guy

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gisbod said:

but yes, little Bissy does look rather forlorn at the moment… 

Gidday Guy, Bissy jnr seems like a candidate for the next KUTA group build. 😀 I've only learned recently what KUTA stands for. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff (I think) 😆

I took Jamie’s advice and airbrushed the hull rather than use a rattle can, I had a large jar of Xtracrylix flat and semi varnish, mixed them and they sprayed well watered down, but I think it was too watery and ran in places, which caused me to rub down the offending areas, which caused a touch up respray of all colours! Which means I’ll have to do another varnish coat (hopefully with no runs…) No harm done, but just par for the course during my builds lately 🤔

Guy

ps I have just studied the decks in closer detail and they really are way out. I’ve sent another email to them both (USA & EU) with pictures. Bit miffed. I know they’re ‘Cottage Industry’ etc, but it isn’t a cottage industry price… it’s more than half the price of the whole kit.

• Like 1

Afternoon All,

I’ve been fettling away at the decks and have finally got them fixed in place. The side pieces required a lot of surgery, mainly increasing the hole size for the secondary armament barbettes, but also some other general surgery to the sides and to make it tie in with the overlapping rear section.  Surprisingly, it looks fine, you’d have to know where to look to see where I’ve hacked away, so all’s well that ends well, but it really shouldn’t need me doing that in the first place.

Where you cut the tabs holding the decks (attachment points) on the main sheet leaves a small bare wood mark. I coloured these in with a crayon and they disappeared.

35-FF1-A86-968-B-4-B28-9-C27-E7-F7727-A6

Scaledecks recommend using Gorilla Wood Glue, so I dutifully bought some. They also say to brush the glue on, but I used a couple of foam artists pads, and they worked as well as anything I think. I put some glue on the plastic too, but didn’t go right up to the deck fittings to avoid a mess. It worked very well and doesn’t instantly lock into place with a death grip like the self adhesive decks I’ve used before. This does give you a bit of working time to move things if required.

0D5AE71C-74FE-4834-9A26-EAEE383CE505.jpg

I obviously hadn’t quite nailed the surgery, as it still needed some pressure to get it to sit flat.

DDBBDAED-382E-4618-9E6F-DED514458C58.jpg

And the finished result, you can see some of my hacking if you look closely.

A8DF884F-50E4-4EB8-B119-F236E3794538.jpg

3C170673-5846-4670-9D7C-30AE763F6C2F.jpg

B931E9A4-9E04-46C0-99E6-F926D465F316.jpg

E35B03D5-4CD2-4057-A209-8ABDDE6BA391.jpg

E5277417-B00E-4F7E-BC8B-5B548FE439C7.jpg

So overall, I love the deck, the fit was pretty shabby, and communications from Scaledecks are slow at best, but, it’s the best looking deck in town, so would I buy another? Yes…. probably.

Thanks for popping by,

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Thanks,

On a different note, I’ve tried to burnish the brass propellers as they’re super shiny. I’ve used An Uschi Van der Rosten agent which has had no effect at all (to be fair the fluid is quite old and I’ve used it multiple times before), they do seem to be like chrome (but brass) plated.

Any ideas?

Guy

More Bismarck news. I received 3 items in the post today 😊

First up, I’d ordered a Perspex base, I’m still figuring out the 2 pedestals, but this should set her off nicely. I had considered wood, but it does warp and this has a nice clean look to it I think:

D638-CD72-FC6-E-4-BF3-9520-78-F29-EE449-

Second up is my set of decals I’d ordered for the Arados after my misgivings on the Peddinghaus set. These look absolutely spot on and for $5, post included from Virginia USA, an absolute bargain.

2-A57027-F-93-C6-49-F5-91-B0-46188-D8789

And last, but certainly not least, these little gems of life buoys from Pascal @Iceman 29 These are top quality, I’m hugely impressed. Thanks Pascal 😀

C9-AB528-F-8-BC0-4008-AD35-0-F6-B91-EADB

B84-A8963-7-D12-4-CBE-B9-E3-F36-F9-FC23-

I’m off to Cambridge for a few days break, but back on the case next week.

Guy

• Like 4

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck *Extras
26 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

First up, I’d ordered a Perspex base, I’m still figuring out the 2 pedestals, but this should set her off nicely. I had considered wood, but it does warp and this has a nice clean look to it I think:

Would RP Toolz' black plastic pedestals be suitable ?

• Like 1

Thanks Terry! Much appreciated.

36 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Would RP Toolz' black plastic pedestals be suitable ?

Maybe Richard! Thanks for the tip, I have all sorts of ideas from door knobs to pipes to light fittings!

Guy