Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

Looking really good so far Guy, I'll not be offended....I mean I'll never offer advice again  but...... 😉

The changing of the turret tops is a blighter in one way, still at least I can nick the outcome for my project when I get to it, 

Out of curiosity what airbrush do you use?

12 hours ago, johndon said:

Nice work on the hull so far.

I'm trying to decide how/if to try and represent the 'oil canning' on the hull of the Iowa, I've seen some very effective methods using paint but they would only work on a single colour hull and I'm doing a camouflage scheme...

Good luck with that John! Although I did see a photo of, I think, Prinz Eugen, you could see the plating on the hull underneath the paint. I did have a notion of trying to represent that, but it didn’t last long! I’ll be interested in how you go about it. I know Beefy did a good job on his 1/144 Fletcher?

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Not sure as the black on the hull sides doesn't match up - but could be effect of light, surface angle? That shading on the hull is mighty impressive.

David

Goodness knows David, every time I see a photo of her she changes her colours!

5 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Looking really good so far Guy, I'll not be offended....I mean I'll never offer advice again  but...... 😉

The changing of the turret tops is a blighter in one way, still at least I can nick the outcome for my project when I get to it, 

Out of curiosity what airbrush do you use?

Hi Sam,

I have got a posh Iwata but I bought a cheap Sparmax one for more overall coverages and I love it and have ended up using it for everything. Yes, never darken my thread again with advice, how dare you! 🤪

Guy

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Goodness knows David, every time I see a photo of her she changes her colours!

I'm told that's a woman's perogative............

Thansk re the airbrush, I'm trying with whether to keep a kit on pre order or use the funds towards an airbrush to hopefully speed builds up a bit, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Definitely, definitely buy an airbrush Sam, I don’t brush anything anymore! The biggest cost is the compressor, but airbrushes aren’t as much as you think. It totally changed my modelling.

I use ‘The Airbrush Company’ in Lancing on the south coast, they’re quite near to me which helps but obviously, they mail order.

This is mine:

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=401_604_146&products_id=22182

£59.99 and it’s been fabulous. You’ll need to invest in the compressor a bit, I don’t think that’s worth skimping on too much.

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?products_id=23137

Sparmax compressor £210, although I have a more expensive Iwata one, I can’t imagine this is any less able. They’re quite friendly if you want to chat.

Guy

ps I don’t work for them! 

Edited by Gisbod
  • Thanks 1

David, @Adm Lord De Univers pointed out to me that the stripes were different thicknesses, mine are but probably doesn’t show in my photos. I scaled them from the Trumpeter drawing, however.. looking at real photos I can see that Trumpeter have it wrong (again) in that the stripes are significantly different widths!

So now I’m not sure whether to adjust mine or leave be…

C7C91B90-2F1B-4953-8365-722260B860C4.jpg

In fact, to be fair to Trumpeter, I have just realised that the colour scheme depicted on the official Kriegsmarine website seems to have them thicker, like mine, too:

C04311-C6-D4-D2-449-F-81-B1-AB2-C3-D1778

Guy

• Like 2

Gidday, I've never seen that photo before, most I've seen of the camo seem to show the stbd side. Considering the debate lately concerning the colours of turret crowns it seems to me in the photo above that the sloped facet of turret Anton (A turret) is quite a bit lighter than those of the other three turrets. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents' worth. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I've never seen that photo before, most I've seen of the camo seem to show the stbd side. Considering the debate lately concerning the colours of turret crowns it seems to me in the photo above that the sloped facet of turret Anton (A turret) is quite a bit lighter than those of the other three turrets. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents' worth. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1989-012-03,_Schlachtschiff_Bismarck_in_der_Ostsee

"https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1989-012-03,_Schlachtschiff_Bismarck_in_der_Ostsee.jpg"

Screenshot-2021-07-25-20-34-04-846.jpg

This picture of the blog is interesting about turret "Anton" with his 3 differents colors, which may give some explanation for the above picture.

Screenshot-2021-07-25-20-54-38-768.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-25-20-55-20-366.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Thanks Jeff, yep, every photo looks different to be honest. It’s good in a way as it gives you a little artistic licence, no one really knows! 

And thanks Nigel, yes, I have seen that but forgot about it so it’s nice to re read it at the stage I’m at 👍

Ive been out most of the day, but just snatched an hour at the bench to do the Schiffbodenfarbe III Grau I (dark grey to you and me 😆)

I’ll leave it to dry overnight before moving on the Dunkelgrau 51 (medium grey on the hull).

Guy

ps the Sovereign paints are living up to their billing 😀 @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies Jamie, what do you use for gloss & semi matt varnishes?

D763593-C-5-E2-A-4-AB2-8-BA9-AF386-F95-F

DB558-F9-E-C246-4305-AD0-A-0-EEC2341-DBB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s amazing Pascal! 

Thank you so much. What an incredible tool to have - to make your own details, and, no doubt, your skill to produce them.

Guy

• Like 1

Ps I’ve only just noticed, but I’ve somehow (despite multiple scaling, measuring, marking), done the bootline too low 🤔

I may try and realign it or I may leave it, see how I feel in the morning, sometimes you’re working close up and don’t see the woods for the trees… 

Guy

11 hours ago, Gisbod said:

ps the Sovereign paints are living up to their billing 😀 @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies Jamie, what do you use for gloss & semi matt varnishes?

Thanks Guy, much appreciated. Regarding varnishes it depends what I'm doing really. Sometimes I just polish the paint up a bit. I quite like Alclad Aquagloss if I want an acrylic barrier coat for some reason, and despite getting a bad reputation I actually quite like the old Humbrol glass jar Gloss/Satin/Mattcote products, but as most of the complaints about those are about getting white spots the key to using them is an electric stirrer and dedicating a generous portion of AA battery life to ensuring the flatting agent sat at the bottom of the jars is homogenously mixed throughout instead - it's blobs of flatting agent that gives the white spots, or more commonly when brushed on, what gives the intermittent gloss/matt patchy finishes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Evening all,

Thanks Jamie & Pascal, that’s useful.

Another update. I’m afraid I didn’t amend the boot line in the end, I was a) being partly lazy and b) bit worried I’d be building up ridges of paint. So while it bothers me slightly, I don’t think you’d notice unless you’re a Bismarck expert… pathetic I know! 

That said, I’m pretty happy with the results so far. The false waves turned out better than I thought.

Next up…  Schiffbodenfarbe III Rot 5! (Keel)

I’m loving the Sovereign paints, beautiful to spray and the colours look spot on. I’m so glad I went with them now, and knowing they’re ‘correct’. Top product.

Guy

31-EF0279-DC07-40-C7-94-A2-DF3-F9-DAD878

3357662-B-0-A37-425-A-93-AE-10-C056-D937

DD7-A1845-870-E-4-DA2-9-D6-B-4879-BB441-

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

It's very successful. 😎

Painting this ship is more difficult than it looks, the hull is huge, and the camouflage scheme is quite complicated, even if it is not one of the most sophisticated.

We are at 1:200, and not many people venture out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceman 29 said:

the hull is huge

It's almost as large as that understatement. Painting looking amazing and paints themselves fantastic (that dark grey at the rear is something else).

I wouldn't have guessed the boot was too low until you pointed it out, even then it looks fine to my eyes.

David

Thanks 😀

That makes me feel a bit better about the bootline. Shame the two rear set of stripes are too wide too, but I blame the Trumpeter illustration! 

I’ve just finished the keel, will post pictures later, sumptuous colours!

7 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Painting looking amazing and paints themselves fantastic (that dark grey at the rear is something else).

David

Yes! I was expecting the Dunkelgrau 2 to be a boring old dark grey, but it looks stunning! It had a beautiful blue hue to it.. I’m off to paint my living room with that now 😆

How many tins will I need Jamie?

Guy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

How many tins will I need Jamie?

Guy

It's easily done, but I'm confused... didn't you already get everything you need?

Edit: I've caught up - we can supply in a 5 litre can if you like...

• Haha 3

On 7/26/2021 at 7:16 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

and despite getting a bad reputation I actually quite like the old Humbrol glass jar Gloss/Satin/Mattcote products

I have to agree Jamie, still amongst my favourite varnishes, and of course I have to agree with Guy regarding the quality of Sovereign paints!

Those three shots above Guy, look simply awesome!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Sorry Jamie, my rubbish humour again. The paints really give excellent coverage, the whole keel took about 2/3rds of a single tin! 

Thanks Terry.

Just adding the keel painting session pictures.

Guy

152-FB651-8-F53-4332-AD46-345-A53920-BDA

2-A0-E1940-121-D-4-AFC-AE75-A66486-BAD37

68-F63018-1805-4-C6-C-8-DC5-46-F00-FFD36

8-DC02-B44-5740-4-ABC-84-D5-CC845-E2-DA5

D899056-E-ED16-4212-B62-D-1-D2-FBF42-F92

• Like 10