Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

59 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Thanks Terry, I just saw a huge hair in that image - now removed 😝

Yep, tried that - Northstar out of stock, will try shapeways.

Guy

I can print you some lifebuoys maybe, with the support, I would have to draw it and do a test.

Northstar never responds to email and you might have to wait several weeks (months) for your order, in my experience. I would never work with them directly again. It's a pity, they make beautiful things.

As for Shapeway, the resolution of the parts is quite low, 0.6 mm, whereas a printer like mine can go down to 0.2 mm.

I have the size of the parts, and the support models, I have some left from the MK1 Design kit in PE at 1/200 for the Bismarck.

Parts #14 & #15.

Screenshot-2021-07-22-22-55-43-493.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-22-23-06-04-619.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-22-23-06-44-917.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-22-23-10-08-382.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pascal, 

That would be incredibly kind of you! Yes, I did ask NorthStar about their 1/200 railings and had no reply.

What kind and clever people inhabit this forum. 

Guy

ps I’ll drop you a PM

• Like 2

You're welcome, it's a pleasure. 

Ok that's done.

Have to print this to test the model.

Some useful pictures of Bismarck here: https://www.historyphotos.org/?s=bismarck

I don't know if the lifebuoys were marked "Bismarck", I haven't found precise enough pictures of them. I don't think so, although on the PE plates some were.
I think that losing a buoy marked Bismarck to the sea would not have been very discreet in wartime.

Screenshot-2021-07-22-23-56-27-228.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-23-00-00-06-836.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-23-00-01-40-286.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-23-12-03-04-289.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-23-11-38-06-164.jpg

Screenshot-2021-07-23-11-59-51-498.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Looks fabulous Pascal!

Yes, they’re super pictures aren’t they? 

Yes bit of a wizard with those drawing isn't he.  👍

beefy

• Like 2

Certainly is Beefy! 

Now, I’m going to trawl for more help! I’m thinking about the painting of the hull, and more specifically, the false bow/ stern waves.

Because I’ve added all the detail to the hull sides (particularly at the stern) it’s going to be tricky to mask the white. The easiest way I think I would be to paint the rough areas white first then cut their shape out in masking film/tape then stick the tape on, that way the masking stays clear of the PE/brass. If I do the white last, as I would normally, then the masking would be around the outside and be directly over all the details. So basically, what I need is a scale template of the ‘waves’ to produce the correct masking shape? 

How would you go about this? Differently? 

To summarise, I’m thinking white waves first (maybe baltic stripes white too), mask over, then bootline, mask over, then the greys or red/brown last… 

What do think?

Perplexed Guy

ps here’s an image showing the rough area of the white stern wave…

8-A8140-B1-5-E84-41-E4-A906-052-BE6-B7-D

• Like 3

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck *More Help Please!

Ps the Enamel primer is great, but as it’s an automotive product, it does benefit from a light sand over. Obviously not easy around the details! So while it had been good for the hull, I won’t be using it for the superstructures… Back to MRP fine primers.

Guy

Re the false wave, my advice would be by brush instead, last and very carefully, if you've pre sealed the main base coat first then cleaning off any slippage while you go shouldn't be an issue, I know we often go for perfect edges in the ship world but I think as scale increases you can start to justify a very small amount of 'wobble' if you are going for realism over museum finish, I was looking at pics of my current build the other day and her water line at one point was decidedly wonky near the stern on one side, 

That said I'm biased as I brush paint so.......

• Thanks 1

Gidday Guy, like S-boat above I brush paint also, and like him I was thinking as the bow and stern waves are relatively small areas why not brush paint them? You would only need thin masking on the straight edges, the curved edge could be done free hand without masking and hence protect the PE. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Thanks Sam & Jeff,

That makes perfect sense, but it would always bother me that it would stand out against the other airbrushed colours. I wouldn’t be confident that I could make it look right.. if the whole thing was brushed it would be fine.. but then I’d need a Dulux paint roller…

Guy

Just now, Gisbod said:

Thanks Sam & Jeff,

That makes perfect sense, but it would always bother me that it would stand out against the other airbrushed colours. I wouldn’t be confident that I could make it look right.. if the whole thing was brushed it would be fine.. but then I’d need a Dulux paint roller…

Guy

See where you're coming from, maybe try it out on a bit of scrap first and see thinned right down it wouldn't notice as being brushed, aside that it'd be making a mask template and doing them first as you say, 

• Like 1

Progress!

I was becoming a bit stuck on how to do the hull, but I just knuckled down to it this morning and it seems to be working as I imagined it.

I haven’t gone with the brush painting idea, but I appreciate your input Sam & Jeff. Apologies.

I've used the Trumpeter paint chart as a starting point, even though they’ve got parts of it wrong. They’ve done the bow waves the same both sides but photography shows a different design on the starboard side. They’ve also got the boot line a uniform width, where photos again show it to be thinner after the waves. If I’ve got that wrong please speak up!

Measuring the hull length on the diagram showed it to be 1/810 scale (251m) so using a ruler gave me a point of reference to measure the waves and convert it to 1/200, which was then measured out on thin plastic card. I measured the height of the wave and freehand drew the arc to meet that point.   The template was then cut out using scissors.

FE1-F1-AB0-58-FF-41-D7-99-AB-84-C82-EC69

I then pencilled in an outline on the hull as a reference for the white paint, I’ll slightly overspray then cut masking tape using the template I made, then I can spray everything else - kind of in reverse order of how I would normally do it. 

Starboard Bow:

598-F341-F-6044-4-D18-81-A4-543-EACAC944

Port Bow:

8ACC8A4D-D7AB-432D-ADB6-FC7D949450DE.jpg

Baltic Stripes - just measured again to scale against the diagram:

73E5360C-436B-4E91-9FBB-A18FD1BB7CD5.jpg

I’ll hopefully have a bit more progress to show later today or tomorrow.

I’m probably over complicating it, but happy enough with today’s work.

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 3

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck *Baltic Stripes

Gidday Guy, no apology necessary. Ideas are simply that, ideas and not commands. 🙂 (Excuse me while I go and sulk in the corner. 😁) It's your build, ultimately you do what ever works for you. Good luck with what you go with. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No need to sulk Jeff, I promise I’ll follow any future orders 😀 I’ll just pretend you’re my wife, then I’ll have to obey.. 

Got the (slightly off) white on. My first time with ColourCoats and yes, they spray beautifully. They go a surprisingly long way too. My MRP paints (which I love) seem to drain through the airbrush very quickly, an airbrush cup of these did the whole thing. 

I’ve added a bit of pre highlighting while I had the white out. Looks a bit like a Tiger Shark now… 

Guy

93-B165-A4-98-D4-4499-896-E-076-A7-E38-C

414-CFE37-5-F03-4710-B7-DB-C91-C8-DBC6-B

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 8

Thanks Grze & Gary, (Good forum name!)

Just managed to get some of the masking done, hopefully the boot line black/ grey tomorrow.

FE84-F555-E5-FD-41-A1-8-A1-C-A4420-B16-B

I found this picture on Google, hopefully not copyrighted? But it’s freely available online. Another turret top variation, blimey, they went through some paint schemes didn’t they? This one is really interesting.. maybe red surrounds and a black top for Anton & Dora? I wonder if I could get away with that but without the superstructure stripes? 

F5954FE8-457A-4384-9C07-F2A8FAC864EF.jpg

6B1F511C-AEEE-433D-8253-9BD6C7ADDD77.jpg

Any thoughts?

Guy

• Like 1

Nice work on the hull so far.

I'm trying to decide how/if to try and represent the 'oil canning' on the hull of the Iowa, I've seen some very effective methods using paint but they would only work on a single colour hull and I'm doing a camouflage scheme...

• Like 1