Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

14 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

A (silly?) question from that link, but are those hoops on the barrels or paint (the white/grey/metallic rings)?

Ladders look amazing Guy. Had a rare 💡 moment, you could create some protection for them such as two thin bits of balsa wood temp stuck down each side and another bit over the top to stop damage? But if you plan to finish by Monday might not be a problem anyway.

David

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Guy on 4th July you queried an anomaly on wreck photographs where white appeared below the top of the boot topping. I forgot to come back and respond to that at the time. It was because the white parts of the camouflage were painted over the boot topping down to the waterline.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/128915608061473781/

Guy on 4th July you queried an anomaly on wreck photographs where white appeared below the top of the boot topping. I forgot to come back and respond to that at the time. It was because the white parts of the camouflage were painted over the boot topping down to the waterline.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/128915608061473781/

Thanks Jamie, I know what you mean, but it seems to be next to one of the Baltic stripes rather than the bow wave? I still can’t really place it…

6-A652578-A2-C2-45-EC-B3-F0-5-B2214-BC54

2 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

A (silly?) question from that link, but are those hoops on the barrels or paint (the white/grey/metallic rings)?

Ladders look amazing Guy. Had a rare 💡 moment, you could create some protection for them such as two thin bits of balsa wood temp stuck down each side and another bit over the top to stop damage? But if you plan to finish by Monday might not be a problem anyway.

David

I noted those too David, but they don’t seem to be there on subsequent pictures… Great idea re the bolsters 😀 I guess I still need baby bumpers.

I don’t think it will be in the ‘Ready For Inspection’ section until Tuesday at this rate 🤔

Guy

• Haha 3

• Gisbod changed the title to Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck

Thanks Guy, all 🤬 day long this has bothered me. Since I cant figure out how to upload photos, heres the video, around the 8.34 mark: video.

The next Baltic stripe seen slightly later on is clearly how it should be - the painted over grey goes down to the waterline and the boot topping is slightly lower and half-white where it should be and matches the just visible stripe lines above.

I dont think it's the false wave as the sediment at the bow has piled up right up to it or there's considerable damage there that isn't present here, it's the wrong angle and (unless that is plate buckling) I'm pretty sure we can see the main armour belt run across the pic. 

I think it's the (starboard?) aft stripe (the thinnest ones). I'm pretty sure in the pic above there's a painted over black stripe to the left (aft) of where the white would've been that matches the since-painted-grey boot topping below,  i.e. that is lower but not white. That the main hull colour (to the right) looks white/lighter is either a trick of the eye, incorrect post-image processing (the film is heavily edited to bring out detail), the lighting on the sub being closer to it, or that the grey used to paint over the stripes might have been darker than the hull colour. Later on in the video, if you freeze frame, the hull colour looks lighter than what the painted over stripe does at another location too, when the pic setup is similar to the above.

Equally battle damage, damage from scraping down a mountain and years of corrosion and sea life might mean my guess is completely off. There's also lots of whitening at different locations (I dont know what this is) that might be confusing what I see.

I've tried to compare these against pics at the following:

Locations of damage, section 9

KBismarck site

Various books at home

And google searches of actual photos of bismarck in her baltic scheme.

Sorry my two cents is quite long and likely incorrect.

David

• Like 1

Morning David,

Hmmm, that’s certainly interesting, I’m not sure if I totally follow though - I need pictures to understand anything! I still can’t really visualise where the lower, brighter white rectangle fits in. It’s a great video!

I probably need to digest what you’ve said poring over pictures… 

Btw, your 2 cents is most welcome 😀

Guy

4 minutes ago, Bobs_Buckles said:

You're a man for all models genres, Guy.

Lovely work thus far.

Bob 🙂

Hi Bob!

Didn't expect to find you in this far flung corner of the world! Funnily enough I’m thinking about utilising your excellent buckles for the rigging on this beast.. Should keep me out of mischief for a while.. 

Have you done any ships to date? I’d like to see your rigging!

Guy

Hello Guy,

No ship has graced my cabinet as yet but I do like and will own one of the Flower-Class Corvettes doing the rounds. 😍 It's just a matter of time! 

Also looking to get hold of an T-Class Submarine from Starling models in the future.

Will keep an eye on your progress. 🤪

Cheers,

Bob 

17 minutes ago, Bobs_Buckles said:

Hello Guy,

No ship has graced my cabinet as yet but I do like and will own one of the Flower-Class Corvettes doing the rounds. 😍 It's just a matter of time! 

Also looking to get hold of an T-Class Submarine from Starling models in the future.

Will keep an eye on your progress. 🤪

Cheers,

Bob 

I’ve only dabbled in ships Bob, but I have made the Revell 1/144 Corvette which was a great fun build. I’d definitely recommend having a bash, a change is as good as a rest! 

3737-B8-B1-FE5-C-4805-8-A1-C-64-F0437467

Guy

• Like 6

Haven’t done much this weekend.. Too Hot / British Open / Gardening. Just had a little spurt on the remaining steps, quite a few both sides! 

36-B632-EF-F6-B4-47-F1-A201-FD4-A4-AA358

Quick question though about the ‘Screw Guards’. Firstly, why screw guards? They’re not near the screws? Secondly, the instructions only show them swung open, not closed. They must swing to the rear or would foul the steps, but then what are the forward brackets for (D78)? The Bow swing booms are depicted both closed and open, with different parts for each option?

DED689-A2-708-C-49-E0-AF61-6-E2-A70-A1-A

Thanks,

Guy

ps I’d like them open really for more interest, but they’d be in great danger from my clumsy hands! 

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 3

I thought the steps looked fragile! I've either figured out how to post images, or the below will be a litany of errors that will bring you all great mirth (and if it works, sorry for using up any mobile data...):

My guess of position (starboard, aft stripe, photos below=left is aft)?

65d044e1-e5f3-42a6-a330-2d234a4a118d.jpg

Standard photo

76cacde1-3386-4a40-981b-4d036a2e9718.jpg

Brightened

68e4ed80-dc77-4490-91a0-108ee18cbe27.jpg

Waterline markings (original boot topping is the higher line, painted over baltic stripes means that waterline marking is lower where stripes were)

2850b082-7a66-46ca-bb66-b2acd874a7c1.jpg

Lines of rough outline of stripes, black is on the left, white on the right and normal grey hull colour either side (so grey, black, white, grey from l to r) although the 'grey' on the right looks mostly white

d8a52104-f174-43f0-b6bc-645c79eff2ed.jpg

The upper edge of the main armour belt is running from left to right across the photos.

David

Edited by Adm Lord De Univers
spellingz
  • Like 1

By golly,

I think you’ve nailed it David! Great detective work 🕵️‍♂️

I assumed the lighter area forward of the stripes was the white band overpainted. If that is the case, it’s odd that the overpainted white area appears darker than the main hull colour, but that’s the only logical explanation.

See, I told you I need pictures 😄

Genius,

Guy

Thanks Guy, but let's see what our resident experts think first. Incidentally, as soon as I posted, I realised both sets of pics are of the same stripe...:facepalm:

But at least I managed to add photos!

The screw guards should be roughly directly above the screws, I guess they're like cat whiskers, ideal for letting the cat know whens it's head is too big to fit, but never gonna stop it getting stuck. So I guess for mooring. The other brackets appear to be for ropes to run through and pull the guard into position, but it seems to be stowed aftward. There is an interesting configuration of ropes here though if you can find photos of it.

David

50 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Thanks Guy, but let's see what our resident experts think first. Incidentally, as soon as I posted, I realised both sets of pics are of the same stripe...:facepalm:

But at least I managed to add photos!

The screw guards should be roughly directly above the screws, I guess they're like cat whiskers, ideal for letting the cat know whens it's head is too big to fit, but never gonna stop it getting stuck. So I guess for mooring. The other brackets appear to be for ropes to run through and pull the guard into position, but it seems to be stowed aftward. There is an interesting configuration of ropes here though if you can find photos of it.

David

Ah, that makes perfect sense now re the screw guards. Basically a parking aid! I’ll see if I can hunt down a picture. Rope would be a nice addition.. 

Guy

I’ve only managed to track down one photo of the screw guards in action, but although fairly grainy, it does seem to show the ropes attached:

C3-C1-EEA7-610-D-4-F18-9-F98-99-FF6-A02-

I did also stumble over a Pontos thread for the Bismarck which is a good extra reference. It’s got some cracking pictures of the set. Here’s a good one of the area in question:

6914928-E-C509-40-E5-B8-EF-3-E8-BA20-EAD

You can find it here:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=123012

Guy

• Like 3

Fairly slow progress but I think the main Hull is now complete pre painting. There’ll be a few bits of PE to add to the deck, but getting a coat of primer on isn’t too far away. I used Gators thin blend white glue for the portholes. I’ve just noticed I’m missing one already, which doesn’t bode well, but superglue would be too messy here. They are very fine viewed with the Mk1 eyeball. Obviously, I’ll have to be very careful masking but I certainly don’t fancy applying them post paint, so lesser of two evils…

Stern :

E4-DA728-D-261-D-42-E6-B72-B-4587-E2-F5-

8538-C91-D-49-AB-4-E7-B-8-DCA-1-EB8-B23-

Port Bow Swing Boom:

A8-A0-F470-6050-4-AE9-B64-E-9249-F2-A6-E

I’d have liked to display these swung open, but zero chance of them still being there come model completion!

In other news, Peddinghaus, who do the oversize decal sheet, got back to me offering a refund if I send the sheet back, and will resize one for me if I tell them the size I want. Can’t say fairer than that! However, in the mean time I have found a company in the States that do a set for $3.50! So I’ve ordered those too. If I can still find a set of the Pontos decals (anyone?) I’ll be using them as they look the best quality.

And finally, I sent another email to Scaledecks (I did wait another 8 days tbf), they responded with try matt varnishing the decks first, if that doesn’t work we’ll replace them. Rather surprisingly, it did work! I can hardly make out the marks now, so I’m happy to make do.

Still thinking on ideas for the stand if anyone has any input? I could do with it to protect the Hull finish in the not too distant future. I don’t know if I can get some thick enough, but I quite fancy a black perspex base.

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 7

Pps

There’s a diagram of all the brass parts (there are lots!) with a silhouette of each part. I assumed these to be to scale so you can hold up the part to match it - I'm sure it was like that on a previous Pontos set? I spent about 40 mins trying to match up the brass to the booms, having done every bit 3 times I realised a) they weren’t there or b) not to scale… it was b) 🤪 doh

Guy

Gidday Guy, good luck with all those port holes/scuttles. Re the port bow swing boom, if you wanted it outboard I guess you've already thought of leaving it off until the end, but not practical?

And that response from Scaledecks seems very fair to me. Good to hear that it worked. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Little update,

I’ve added as much as I can to the decks pre Scaledecks, which isn’t much.. but the more I can do pre painting the better.

E8-ECAFCA-5-AC4-43-B9-856-A-AA50599-F58-

Nice to get some paint down! The Halfords Enamel Primer in a rattle can went on well. It would be a big job with an airbrush, but this just took a couple of minutes.

6351594-E-A868-404-E-A27-B-D785-D5-C7453

1-FF8-FA37-12-DF-4358-ABC4-8958338-C7678

200240-F5-DD6-B-41-F7-AAD6-6-EF3-E26-D1-

And I’ve made a start on removing portholes. It’s odd that there’s no mention of these in the instructions at all, but they’re on the PE sheets… 

531-B1281-5-FCC-409-C-8324-CBD5-EC2-A141

Guy

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

The Pontos set has PE ones - bit flat obviously, not sure they’d keep you afloat for long.. 

Agreed, what with them being made of brass as well ........... 😁

I actually seem to recall Northstar models did some. Also maybe try Shapeways?

That stern shot above looks amazing.

Terry