Ukrainian Hip Mi-8 digital camo Zvezda 1/72

Greetings Folks,

When I opened the box I found there were some Soviet stars and a few numbers only, so I thought I do something different, and when I was looking for Mi-8 if you type only that you get mobile phone pictures so I added Hip as well after few minutes of scrolling I came a crossed Ukrainian's Hip and it looks striking since I had some experience with digital camo thought why not. However, there is artistic freedom in making I tried 2-3 references and choose the easiest digital markings I could do also and also no exact helicopter has this camo. It was 2 days of masking for like 30 minutes of airbrush? I silly mistake and back to square one and start masking the whole section which is quite time-consuming, But when I peel off the masking tapes I was super joyous, it was really tedious and perseverance work, making small slices then putting on it. For paint as usual due to pandemic have a limited choice so it more of artistic color and do a bit of trial and errors sometimes a bit frustrating as well. yes, there is some problem with the kit but during this time I am okay with it and enjoyed building it. I tried to bend the rotor a little but it broke into two half so it was no, no. I tried to take some pictures today but it raining for the last few days however on someplace there was a little pool of water and I placed the hip there and surprisingly look nice, will put more pictures as the weather improve with plain background for the time being here it is, hopes you guys approved it and thank you for watching. Cheers.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

x1.jpg

x2.jpg

x3.jpg

Edited by tomthounaojam
  • Like 45

Excellent job, I would think twice about using digi decals on a helicopter, let alone hand mask it! Thats a great achievement Also considering your limited paint options you have produced a little gem colour wise.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Very cool I think I saw some of these in Latvia at an outdoor museum next to RIX airport it's worth a look if you're ever that way. There's Mig 25, 21, 29 etc and a ton of helos all sorts there's so many schemes Russian aircraft have been painted in. I do like this helicopter not many builds of it about from what I've seen. Great job!

• Thanks 1

Well it might be somewhat fictional but it really looks good.  And since Ukraine does fly these with digital camo it think it is just artistic license, and very well done!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Cariado said:

Nice work! All that effort paid off in the end! 👏

Thank you, yeah I really what I have made, cheers mate.

18 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Excellent job, I would think twice about using digi decals on a helicopter, let alone hand mask it! Thats a great achievement Also considering your limited paint options you have produced a little gem colour wise.

Pete

Thank you Pete, things are hard for sure, but that also give some opportunity to do some experiments, It was quite a daunting task, slice the masking tape into wee small part and start masking it, guess at the end it work well. Thank you for the kind words, cheers

16 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Very cool I think I saw some of these in Latvia at an outdoor museum next to RIX airport it's worth a look if you're ever that way. There's Mig 25, 21, 29 etc and a ton of helos all sorts there's so many schemes Russian aircraft have been painted in. I do like this helicopter not many builds of it about from what I've seen. Great job!

Thanks Mate, yeah not many in this camo for sure, eastern bloc paint are hard to do but once you do it, it is quite striking and stand out in your collection for sure, Much appreciated, cheers

10 hours ago, F-32 said:

Super cool work, looks amazing

Thanks Bud, cheers

4 hours ago, Electric Indigo said:

You could it looks pretty hip!

Nice work on the details, too.

Thank you, cheers

50 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

Well it might be somewhat fictional but it really looks good.  And since Ukraine does fly these with digital camo it think it is just artistic license, and very well done!

Much appreciated for the kind word, Cheers Bud

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 1:58 PM, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build. 

Thanks, Mate.

On 7/1/2021 at 12:49 AM, Vultures1 said:

That's really great work.  I would think twice (at least) about hand masking a digital scheme but all your effort has really paid off - well done!

Thank you, things you do when the pandemic is irritating you hehe, kidding. I always wanted to do in this camo so I was sure why not. Appreciate the kind words.