"Bug-smashers" Post WWII - 18 and counting

I had promised myself I would avoid this sections as I already spend way too much time on GB's but this was an idea that just wouldn't go away.

So this GB would be for all propellor powered/driven from after WWII. After WWII the golden age of the prop driven aircraft was coming to an end, replaced by Hoovers with wings. But there were still lots of amazing and interesting prop driven aircraft to come for many years and still coming, especially in the Civilian side of aviation.

So basically any Propellor Powered/Driven aircraft produced after 01 January 1946 is eligible.......... from 1950 would have been easier but we'd loose some interesting aircraft.

Only other stipulation, it must have flown, Turbo-props are ok, if the numbers of those are great enough they'll even have there own gallery.

Plus if there is enough interest I may also open this up to Piston powered "Egg-beaters" as well, gotta love the smell of Avgas.

So jets begone and let the bug-smashing commence!  :fight:

1, trickyrich - Host

2, helios61v

3, Marklo

4, Robert Stuart

5, Ray S

6, zebra

7, dnl42

8, modelling minion

9, Jb65rams

10, Tim R-T-C

11, Corsairfoxfouruncle

12, LorenSharp

13, 2996 Victor

14, JOCKNEY

15, David2703

16, CliffB

17, Arniec

18, Colin W

30,                                        :partytime:            

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

maybe a Seabee?

A lovely plane but a word of warning. The Glencoe kit isn’t bad ( I built one last year) but it comes in two options one is molded in clear styrene and the other opaque styrene and as a result doesn’t have windows and it’s a big job to remove the windows and replace them with clear parts.

resized_226296c5-8513-4b16-97da-00a7ad6e

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

A lovely plane but a word of warning. The Glencoe kit isn’t bad ( I built one last year) but it comes in two options one is molded in clear styrene and the other opaque styrene and as a result doesn’t have windows and it’s a big job to remove the windows and replace them with clear parts.

resized_226296c5-8513-4b16-97da-00a7ad6e

Ah, yes, I have the Glencoe kit - transparent, fortunately.
The kit does reflect its age (1947 IIRC?), with all the detail (or lack therof) that you'd expect from a design of that era.

welcome along one and all so far.

I have a rather long list of suitable models for this one, I think I'd go large too, 1/32nd Bronco (that just showed up! :D) or a resin MDC Ki-61 Hien that has been sitting around for ages waiting to be built (I actually have 2 of them).

Anyway I'll start a list to keep track, I think this idea may be a bit of a slow burner.

This is cool. Built after 1945? First flight after 1945? Or designed after 1945?

My eligible stash offers, in 1/48 Grumman AF-2/3. An-2, DR-90 Nemesis, Midget Mustang, Grumman OV-1B, Rutan Quickee; in 1/144 Grumman C-2A, Fairchild C-119, Lockheed C-121, DHC-5, Pilatus Porter

Hmmmmm....les see now.....gotta be prop driven....after New Years Day 46....... and hadda flown.....toughy.....Well, If I dood I'll getta whuppin'..... I dood it...

I got more of those than Carters got  Liver pills (I know I dated myself again. (Youngsters can look up the reference)Count me in 😜

• Like 1

welcome to the list everyone.

19 hours ago, dnl42 said:

This is cool. Built after 1945? First flight after 1945? Or designed after 1945?

My eligible stash offers, in 1/48 Grumman AF-2/3. An-2, DR-90 Nemesis, Midget Mustang, Grumman OV-1B, Rutan Quickee; in 1/144 Grumman C-2A, Fairchild C-119, Lockheed C-121, DHC-5, Pilatus Porter

first flight after..... I could be a bit more generous and say "Operational" after 1945.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Soccer war Corsair count ? If yes add me to the list. 

sounds good to me ........ though won't the props chew up the balls??? :blink:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Rich,

I'd like to join in with this if I may? Could you just clarify the scope, though, please - should the subjects be aircraft that were in service post-WW2 or aircraft that were introduced post-WW2?

Cheers,

Mark

17 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Rich,

I'd like to join in with this if I may? Could you just clarify the scope, though, please - should the subjects be aircraft that were in service post-WW2 or aircraft that were introduced post-WW2?

Cheers,

Mark

ideally they were introduced into service post WWII. Late version Spitfires/Seafires (Mk.24's & Mk.47's and such) & F-51 Mustangs would be eligible.

I'll add you to the list if you like.

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

ideally they were introduced into service post WWII. Late version Spitfires/Seafires (Mk.24's & Mk.47's and such) & F-51 Mustangs would be eligible.

I'll add you to the list if you like.

Hi Rich,

please do add me to the list! Thanks for clarifying the scope - I've got a couple of possibles in my stash and some more ideas!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Contrail Bear ?

"Go Large or Go Home" :whistle:

..... well you're not going home now!!!  :D

You do know what you're setting yourself up for don't you????? :mental:

• Haha 2

Interested! Thinking Lavochkin La-9 or 11, maybe even from China or North Korea. I suppose these would be fine as the La-9 entered service in late 1946? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David2703 said:

Interested! Thinking Lavochkin La-9 or 11, maybe even from China or North Korea. I suppose these would be fine as the La-9 entered service in late 1946? 

Welcome David I'll add you to the list

• Like 1