Fujimi 1/24 Ford GT40 MkII - '66 Le Mans

Hi there,

This was being built in the background whilst I'm struggling with the Lysander.

Something that kind of fell together.

Some errors on my part. I forgot to put the rear view mirror in and made a bit of a mess of the tyre logos.

The door windows cracked on trying to get them off the sprue. They were connected with a long connection and I stressed them a bit.

Primed with Tamiya neutral grey.

Painted with Zero Paints Ford GT40 Powder Blue (Ken Miles), Gravity Paints Tyrrell Blue, Tamiya Semi Gloss Black, Italian Red and Xtreme Metals Aluminium

Finished with Mr Hobby Super Clear III

rCDpsom.jpg

wGTp77J.jpg

3XME03b.jpg

mpREwxa.jpg

wz9jnvi.jpg

8IpWcZr.jpg

LyMktPW.jpg

uPCGS4w.jpg

A fun build that helped lift me out of the doldrums.

Thanks for looking

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 18

1 minute ago, Troffa said:

Really nice job Sir!  I've got that one in the stash and hope it turns out as well as yours has. 

Thanks very much.

There's a lot wrong with it but it looks good from three feet.

When you're doing yours watch the orange decals I tried UMP Strong and Extra Strong to bed them in but found in the end that Mr Mark Softer Neo was the only thing that would get them to settle and it took about 12 applications of that.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Troffa said:

Thanks for the heads up on the decal! I might be tempted to try and find a matching paint if the Micro Sol can't hack it 🙂 

Probably the most sensible idea.

I found that Tamiya Orange with some Clear Red mixed was a spot on match for the touch up I had to do.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

Looks like the real thing! The moral winner of Le Mans 1966,everyone should go and see the film, nice to see this one built. Chris.

Thanks very much.

Absolutely the winner and yes it's a cracking film. I'm not the greatest fan of either Christian bale or Matt Damon but they are wonderful in this one.

Cheers,

Alistair

That looks brilliant Alistair, nice to know they go together well, I've a couple in stock to do the first placed pair in the 1966 race, being as they were 3/4 crewed by Kiwis, our brightest period in motor racing. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

That looks brilliant Alistair, nice to know they go together well, I've a couple in stock to do the first placed pair in the 1966 race, being as they were 3/4 crewed by Kiwis, our brightest period in motor racing. :)

Steve.

Thanks so much.

Don't believe the horror stories about getting the fuselage over the chassis. It's tight but not difficult only took a couple of minute.

We could do with more New Zealand talent in racing today. McLaren, Hulme and especially Amon were wonderful racers.

Cheers,

Alistair 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Codger said:

Very nice build. How did the Mr Clear work over the decals?

Thanks,

I thinned it about 70 Self Levelling Thinner to 30 Mr Clear. 

Put three light coats on then a couple of wetter ones and the decals suffered no ill effects at all.

I was worried when trying it but pleased with the end result.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

It looks great. Could use a bit less depth-of-field in the photos but the model is very nice.

Ken was the true winner, and the film is well worth a watch.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, galaxyg said:

It looks great. Could use a bit less depth-of-field in the photos but the model is very nice.

Ken was the true winner, and the film is well worth a watch.

Thanks very much.

I really do need to learn how to use the camera properly though.

Cheers,

Alistair