Forge World (Games Workshop) Storm Eagle - Space Marine Transport Gunship

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Hello all, here's another finished kit I've been meaning to post up on here; the Space Marine Storm Eagle by Forge World (Games Workshop), finished this about a year ago.

The largest GW kit I've done, also my first FW resin kit.. and quite possibly my last. Although a resin/plastic hybrid, many of the larger resin parts were horrible, warped out of shape and required a fair amount of work to fit. Thankfully there was a series of very good videos on YT which tackled this, and was a great help (full credit to the author, whose username I've forgot...) There were also parts that needed more filling in, especially at the rear, which in the end I passed off as battle damage.

This was airbrushed with acrylics, then hand painted. I used a combination of mini-painting and scale modelling techniques, with both acrylic and enamel washes, weathering powders, and oilbrushers, along with edge highlighting just about everything, and some OSL effects. I'd painted the interior too, so it's fair to say this took me a while! In hindsight I would have done the airbrushing differently, creating more artificial shading for what is a very blocky model. It was good practice for getting back in to actual scale modelling.

This is a custom paint scheme of mine, and for the larger models I like to use 80's film & TV references; the one used here should be very obvious!

As always, thanks for looking!

• Like 22

That's fantastic work, PC.

I feel your pain, most of my W30K collection is resin. Dreadnoughts are bad enough, something that size must have been an absolute pita to build!

I love the whole look of it, properly battered!

I've got the TG anthem playing through my head now though. 

Here, right back atcha:

• Like 1

Lovely model. Used to do a lot of 40k and tried 30k but a lack of other interested players soon put an end to the 30k. 

GW is such an odd company, really needs to take a look at the rest of plastic modelling and make a few changes. FW just seems to be premium quality prices for a subpar product that is outclassed by the fakes sold at half the price.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your likes and comments

On 29/06/2021 at 18:36, arfa1983 said:

Looks great! Though I'm not sure what the 80s inspiration was... certainly reminds me of the big metal games workshop thunderhawk from back in the day.

The pilot's name on the side of the cockpit should be a dead giveaway! maybe less so the crudely painted helmet markings..! Admittedly my colour scheme (which all my marines are in) probably do distract from it a bit. As for the Thunderhawk, yes

this kit is meant to be the smaller, more agile fighter based version of that legendary kit. You can also buy a newer, resin-only version of that beast, but as it costs serveral hundreds... I think I'll pass.

14 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Lovely model. Used to do a lot of 40k and tried 30k but a lack of other interested players soon put an end to the 30k. 

GW is such an odd company, really needs to take a look at the rest of plastic modelling and make a few changes. FW just seems to be premium quality prices for a subpar product that is outclassed by the fakes sold at half the price.

I do think that GW put out a great product of mini the majority of the time. There really is nothing else out there that competes with what GW is doing. Sure, their kits often lack the build quality of say, Tamiya or Ban-Dai, but they produce around x10 times their output in variety, and do reasonably well given the sheer demand there is in GW right now, and it often appears they are struggling to keep up. I do agree with your comments about FW though. It seems the newer stuff is better quality, but quality control seems to vary so wildly overall, and is a bit of a gamble, which it really shouldn't be at those prices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2021 at 3:32 PM, Paintychops said:

Thankfully there was a series of very good videos on YT which tackled this, and was a great help (full credit to the author, whose username I've forgot...)

Might it be Leakycheese? They've done a few videos about how to work with Forge World kits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking Storm Eagle I have just started  building this kit i am going to be painting it in death guard colours and as you say the resin parts are badly warped had to put them in boiling water several times to try and get them back into shape and as for the instructions they are a complete waste of time just of few badly printed sheets of A4 paper for a kit that cost over £100 I was expecting more I have also watched a few you tube videos on how to put this together. Nice Top Gun reference and is that a Sundowners reference on the rear wings.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Blade2009 said:

Great looking Storm Eagle I have just started  building this kit i am going to be painting it in death guard colours and as you say the resin parts are badly warped had to put them in boiling water several times to try and get them back into shape and as for the instructions they are a complete waste of time just of few badly printed sheets of A4 paper for a kit that cost over £100 I was expecting more I have also watched a few you tube videos on how to put this together. Nice Top Gun reference and is that a Sundowners reference on the rear wings.

Very good spot! Yes, I was inspired by the sundowners 'logo' & ended up using a variation of it on all my orange marines. Not the easiest thing to paint on shoulder pads but there you go. Best of luck with the kit, but it sounds like you've done your research. Only things I'd add is to decide early on whether you want the front & rear hatches open or closed. If closed, get them sealed up early on as they will likely require further sanding & filling to get a decent fit. You might get one hatch to both open & close without any issues, but to achieve both you're either a master modeller or very very lucky! Also, don't forget about the rear of the craft when it comes to filling gaps. I was always under the impression much of it would be covered over, until it was fully assembled. Then again, it might fit with your DG...

Yes the instructions are a joke, even the sales guy at the Forge World store admitted they "weren't the best", which going by GW standards is probably a sacking offence.

If you have any other issues with it, always feel free to message me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...