109E "Black 2" 5/JG77 *Paused*

JG 77 was unique in that it served in all theatres fought by German forces in WW2, and that it flew the Messerschmitt 109 exclusively. (Well...apart from a short stint for II./JG77 in the Macchi Mc.205 late 1943)

I. Gruppe and II. Gruppe were formed in May 1939 with III./JG 77 being formed on 5 July 1940 in Trondheim from the II(J)./JG 186.

April 11 1940 saw II./JG 77 arrive in Norway to take part in Operation Weserübung, the invasion of Norway, which had commenced two days prior.

The primary purpose of the unit while stationed in Norway was to protect the coastline and ports from attack by British Forces, as well as provide air cover for the Kriegsmarine operating in Norwegian waters.

The unit stayed for about 7 months before heading to France to participate in the Battle of Britain.

So, as the tittle suggests, I plan to do an aircraft belonging to 5 Staffel that was photographed at Vaernes, Norway, perhaps midway through their time in this theatre.

It features the standard 71/02/65 scheme with the sides darkened with what is most likely 71.

There is a lovely profile in a book I have (Luftwaffe Fighters and Fighter-Bombers over the Far North by Andreas Brekken and Kjetil Akra) along with a couple of photos.

Would post it here, but not sure about copyright.

I was planning to do the mount of the Staffels most successful pilot during the early period, Feldwebel Robert Menge, but couldn't find one photo.

The boxing...

IMG_6254

...and contents.

IMG_6255

I built the 109E-7 version of this kit a couple of years ago.

It was an okay build, except for the wonky front end (oil cooler and engine cowling), though I didn't think it would be worth doing another.

I have a couple of the Cyber Hobby 109's that I thought would do, but then Eduard released the Spanish Civil Way boxing that has wings to do an E-1. How could I resist?

Then came this boxing, complete with resin bits including Galland figure. Dohh! Sucked in again.

So as I have missed a month already, I thought this kit with cowling on may just get done in time.

The start...

IMG_6256

Thanks for looking.

Edited by wayne 0
complete post
  • Like 9

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-5.JG77-Black-2-VaI have decided to post the profile done by Kjetil Akra to show what I am aiming for.

I am sure it should be fine as these pics are all over the net and it is not for gain.

There are some great photos showing the mottle added to II/JG77 109's during the summer of 1940.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • wayne 0 changed the title to 109E "Black 2" 5/JG77 *Paused*