1/350 HMS Poole, Bangor Class Minesweeper, Starling Models

5 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Simply amazing.

Curious to know if the ensign gaff should have some rigging holding it up?

Tom

Hi Tom - wondered the same - there's not one evident in the pics.

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looking fab. 

Who's yours? They tried to appraise me before I retired...:rofl2:.

Stuart

Hi Stuart - For appraisal read - 50 hours of audit or approved study.  it purports to be supportive  :hobbyhorse: One more reason why GPs are leaving in increasing numbers.

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

That looks fabulous! :worthy:

I'm curious though about the sweep gear? I thought there would eventually be some on-deck. I also don't see any booms or other handling equipment to manage the sweep gear.

I'm familiar with the US YMS (& BYMS) so I suppose I'll need to read a little to see how these vessels worked.

Hi - all the sweeping gear was left off so that I could literally "press" the model into the base - now it's there and stuck down I can start adding winches, davits etc

As to stanchions and rails - definitely.  I don't understand why most modellers don't do this.  Most of the original pictures confirm that these were wire rails as they are most often nowadays.  It also transforms the PE appearance.  I've taken to using Dark grey for the rails vs Black-grey which I feel looks even less obtrusive

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

Ooooo. That does look very good, I do wish I could do weathering like that. Interesting about the AK Water Foam, what exactly is it ?

Looking at your railings has made me think, I’ve never considered doing the stanchions a different colour from the actual rails/chains, I think will be looking at this on HMS Mourne.

Jon

Hi Jon - it's an acrylic gel - coloured white - I used it on Calcutta, I struggle with cotton wool so it's the next best thing and easier.  Though I'm still a little undecided

As to the stanchions and rails - I always do this and am surprised more modellers don't.  IMHO the appearance is far more realistic and mimics reality as most of the wartime pics confirm that these were wire "rails" as per today.  I've taken to painting the wire dark grey instead of black-grey which i think looks even less obtrusive.

Thanks for all the comments and likes

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Coming together very nicely.

Like the restrained weathering..... restrained is much more difficult

The breaking water adds some life to the scene 

Stay safe

Kev

Thanks Kev - happy with the weathering - not so with the sea but dum di dum.  Spent far too long on it today :mellow:

Best - Rob

And with Poole nearing the end of her build, I'm going to record my Modelling new years resolutions in a build list for 2022.

I'd be interested to know yours.

HMS Colombo - Trumpeter 1/350

Fairmile D - Atlantic 1/350

Drifter with Barrage ballon - RJM/Longshanks 1/350

HMS Avon Vale (Hunt Class) - Atlantic 1/350

HMS Hibiscus - Black Cat Models 1/350

HMS Kay - Starling 1/350

That should fill my year :lol:  Though the order is sure to alter

Here's hoping :whistle:

Rob

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

And with Poole nearing the end of her build, I'm going to record my Modelling new years resolutions in a build list for 2022.

HMS Kay - Starling 1/350

Well my Resolution for 2022 is

Finish my Resolution build

Finish York build

Finish Graf Zeppelin and Z43 build

There seems to be a very clear pattern emerging for me in 2022.  :rage:

Looking forward to the Hunt Class being released soon but still have to finish something before missus B finds out it has been ordered.  :whistle:

Best Wishes and Stay Safe in 2022

beefy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

HMS Kay - Starling 1/350

Rob

Very interesting list, I think mine is completly different 🤣:

- Finish HMS Jed , it is must!

- progress Black Swan Class sloop WEM

to do:

- HMS Hibiscus (sorry 😉 )

- 1 Flower from Mirage Hobby (HMCS Drumheller or Crocus colourful Jonquil or another)

- 173 ft Submarine Chaser/Patrol Craft as HMNoS King Haakon VII from L'Arsenal (I recomend you this model. Many ships had very interesting histories connected wit Battle of Atlantic, D-day and so on and interesting comuflages. Model is not expensive, is very nice and was designed by Ben "Black Cat" or his father).

maybe Landing Ship Tank from AFV models (amazing model!) with D-Day diorama...

And of course if only Trumpeter would produce classic Dido class with 10 guns... I think these are my favourite ships with US Atlanta class as well...

Funny thing, we have the same apetite for Hibiscus 😉 ... And probably HMS Kay. I have this trawler but i find all grey option is somewhat boring. That's why I look for something more exciting. Anyway, I think I will do it 2023...

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, robgizlu said:

HMS Kay - Starling 1/350

Rob

I kinda stopped planing my life, when I retired. Having spent 42 years working at the same firm and having my days planned for me, retirement seemed to be the ideal time to wake up each day with absolutely no idea what I will do with it. It’s worked so far, five years on. 
But one ship I want to build is HMS Naiad and convert it to HMS Hermione, In memory of my wife’s uncle, who died when she was sunk. But until a 1/350 comes out, that’ll have to wait.

Jon

• Like 3

14 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Like Jon @Faraway, my working career was planned and organised, so I want to get away from that. Saying that, I am making 2022 mainly a maritime year, selecting from this lot:

20220105-103907.jpg

But for starters:

• Complete tug.
  • Scratch build the Japanese steamship Fushimi Maru- 1/350
  • USS Porter, AEGIS Destroyer with PE-1/700 (won it in raffle). Using this to get experience in 1/700 building
  • What ever 'floats my boat' :giggle:

Stuart

• Like 5

I'm looking forward to watching those builds mentioned above, in 2022. :popcorn:

Like past years, I'm not quite as aggressive as others.  I have very short modelling list again this year;

1) Finish my HMCS Regina build.

2) Select, learn &, start using a 3D CAD program to support 3D printing. :dunce:

3) Start using my brand new 3D printer. (a surprise & unexpected gift from our two boys at Christmas)

4) Based on how successful I am with 1), 2), & 3), hopefully I can select my next (unique) modelling project.  :hmmm:

John

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Select, learn &, start using a 3D CAD program to support 3D printing.

I’d love to try 3D printing, especially for all the small detail parts on ships. But, I’m not sure I’m up to mastering the tech. I hope you’ll keep us posted as to your progress.

Jon

• Like 1

20 hours ago, robgizlu said:

You’ve made me think, not an easy thing to do these days.

But my next build might be Atlantic Models 1/350 HMS Grey Goose.

Sort of my way of making smaller builds, as a means to try 1/700.

Jon

• Like 2

On 1/4/2022 at 8:35 PM, robgizlu said:

HMS Kay - Starling 1/350

Rob

Mine is finish Bloys van Treslong.

Then go back to Ark 3.

In the highly unlikely eventuality that Ark 3 gets finished this year, restart Ark 5.

So B v. T it is, eh?  [Joking aside, avoiding a repeat of 2021 and the multiple trips to A&E would be a good start…]

• Like 3

On 1/5/2022 at 2:47 PM, JohnWS said:

I'm looking forward to watching those builds mentioned above, in 2022. :popcorn:

Like past years, I'm not quite as aggressive as others.  I have very short modelling list again this year;

1) Finish my HMCS Regina build.

2) Select, learn &, start using a 3D CAD program to support 3D printing. :dunce:

3) Start using my brand new 3D printer. (a surprise & unexpected gift from our two boys at Christmas)

4) Based on how successful I am with 1), 2), & 3), hopefully I can select my next (unique) modelling project.  :hmmm:

John

John - I'll be very interested to follow your progress.  I did a couple of YouTube Fusion 360 tutorials and realised that it was going to take me a VERY long time to get to Pascal or Steve's  level.  I'm still torn but I'm thniking my time will be better spent using "old-style" construction methods for the Drifters and Trawlers I want to build :hmmm:

Keep us posted.

Interesting to hear from you all

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

John - I'll be very interested to follow your progress.  I did a couple of YouTube Fusion 360 tutorials and realised that it was going to take me a VERY long time to get to Pascal or Steve's  level.  I'm still torn but I'm thniking my time will be better spent using "old-style" construction methods for the Drifters and Trawlers I want to build :hmmm:

Keep us posted.

Interesting to hear from you all

Rob

Hi Rob,

Like you, I made up my mind to stay with "old style" scratch building ... until I received the 3D printer as a surprise gift.  However, now that i have the printer, I'm committed to give it a go.  Taking the time to learn using 3D design software is going to be the major challenge for me.  So, it will be interesting to see how quickly I can get up to speed.  I just hope this old sea dog can still learn some new tricks.   I will keep you posted.

John

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 12:10 PM, robgizlu said:

"old-style" construction methods for the Drifters and Trawlers I want to build 

I'd like to see that. :poke:

After seeing Pascal's and others 3D work, I too was tempted to try this 3D design and printing, and although I believe it's within my ability, it's time and builds that are the issue. With so much to build, I feel that if I put the required time into learning a new skill, the builds I want to do will reduce. :shrug:

Stuart

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So just one more thread, long after the RFI was presented  

It's taken me this long to getting around to digging out a better sized anchor and painting it.  Several commented that the anchor that came withthe kit was too large and i think they were right - so this Micromaster offering replaced the original

2022 05 23_3791

Summary

Starling models HMR Rhyl Bangor Class Mine Sweeper:   A beautiful kit that needed only  alittle adaptation to represent HMS Poole, namely in the extra Carley racks and the "flying bridge" canvas.   The hull is moulded without any flaws.  Black Cat Model 3D printed parts are supplied, which really do justice to the whole model.  I regret not having used etch portholes.  The ships boats were replaced by Micromaster offerigns that are unsurpassed.  The etch railings and detailing are well moulded and fitted flawlessly.  What a marvellous kit :clap2:

Painting:  Sovereign colourcoats over Mig Ammo "One Shot" primer - that did lift, and I may use Alclad fro future resin hulls.  The Colourcoats covered effortlessly as usual.  The B55 colour is a first for me, though in the future I may well "lighten" it.  i was particularly pleases with the worn teak deck 

Rigging:  Using Bob's Buckles and Infini 40 Gauge mnofilament.  The Boat line on the starboard side is Modelkasten metal wire 0.3mm and whilst expensive is just Fab as it will curve and "hang" unlike monofilament

2022 01 17_3491

Base:  As per my usual method using styrofoam, on this occasion "indented" with a padlock hasp to simulate the chop.

Nameplate:  Nametiplates.co.uk and it's good to see others using their products on the site 

So it's a very belated close

Thanks for all your support

Rob

• Like 9

Now then young Rob, THAT is a lovely rendition of a delightful model. I’m going to have to have a look at this Modelkasten wire for future builds. 
Jon

• Like 1