1/350 HMS Poole, Bangor Class Minesweeper, Starling Models

On 12/17/2021 at 10:56 AM, beefy66 said:

Little stunner the ship Rob don't get excited now.  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

:elephant::elephant::fool:......oh. all right

2021 12 20_3414

"CB3098(R) May 1943" suggest pennant number should be G20 - i sprayed G20 took the masks off - FAR too light, so I had to re-apply the masks one side and respray with G10

2021 12 20_3418

2021 12 20_3419

Untidy on the port side which will need cleaning up with a brush.

The deck was sprayed with G20 the prescribed colour for this scheme

2021 12 20_3415

And the Sweep deck was "Washed"

2021 12 20_3416

2021 12 20_3417

The G20 on the bridge makes a big difference

2021 12 20_3420

2021 12 20_3421

2021 12 20_3422

The hull depth markings were added which Starling supply - though Poole had 3 sets per side so the additional decals that Starling supplies are also needed

2021 12 20_3413

2021 12 20_3408

2021 12 20_3410

2021 12 20_3411

As we often reflect the Camera is a cruel mistress and since taking these pics i've been back to touch up the G10 camo and the pennant numbers.

Next bit is working out where all the rigging goes and drilling for Bob's Buckles accordingly

More soon

Rob

• Like 21

The wash to the wood decks really makes a big difference more in tone with what I have seen in real life for a scrubbed teak very nice work so far.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2021 at 4:25 PM, Faraway said:

Quick question. Where d’you get the stencils ?

Jon

Jon - From Maketar masks - I go to custom and size them using the RAF style letters

https://shop.maketar.com/?fbclid=IwAR3Mbrir9boi7UOq0IEopokVK0ZlI4X3eExjzjmeBNsx8nvmgaz58GtzG7Y

Quick delivery and even though they are more fiddly to place on the model - they are "safer" in that "silvering" is never an issue and you can of course use whatever colour you want.  They'll only go down to a certain size which does limit their use in anything smaller than 1/350.  HTH

And now pop-pickers and argonauts - can anyone explain or postulate as to what is going on here?

2021-12-23

I'm well aware that the day signal for minesweepers are three balls in a triangle (Lights similar at night).

Thus I'm presuming that the 2 outer objects on the lower yard (underneath it) are "folding balls"?

Which begs the question what is on the port side of the upper yard and on the starboard side of the lower yard?

Is there a "Ball" on the upper yard where it bisects the mast (at it's attachment)?

And what are the objects on the lower yard standing vertically, one at its outermost and one half way across?

I'm seeing a 291 radar receiver at the top of the mast.

Thanks Fellas :hmmm:

I appreciate it's a not dissimilar issue to Stuart's "Lights" placement on his Everard

Rob

• Like 4

Glazing the scuttles  I use "Formula 560 Canopy Glue".  

The windscreens on the bridge are finished with strips of Clear plastic

2021 12 23_3426

2021 12 23_3427

For the mast I used a 1/700 taperd Master offering (indispensible!!).  In this occasion I opted to solder the yards.

I use solder paste which is pretty forgiving

2021 12 23_3434

The 2291" antenna comes from a Mk 1 etch set of Royal Navy Radars.

The Mainmast was straighforward - rolling the cage less so.  As there'll be an ensign flying form the yard - this was also soldered for strength

2021 12 23_3435

I was inpatient to crack on and on-one has replied to my post above - so I just copied the pic using a degree of guesstimation.  This scale allows you some licence

2021 12 23_3428

And at last the bridge structure with lattice supports pre-attached was stuck down to the hull

2021 12 23_3431

2021 12 23_3430

2021 12 23_3429

And a quick "plant" to check ..........

2021 12 23_3436

I'm always uncertain what colour masts should be painted and the CB3098 (R) May 1943 paper is not much help.  The photos show Poole's mast was in 2 colours - the lighter portion presumably bein B55.  The top part eas dark without obviously being black.  i went with G10.  And with that, the mast was stepped.  This needed to happen so that i could rig this before fitting the funnel which would otherwise have got in the way.  I'm working from forwards backwards and from centreline outwards (makes sense?)

2021 12 23_3432

And that leaves me only to Wish You All a Very Happy and Safe Christmas.

Party Hard Dudes and Stay Covid free!!!!

Rob

• Like 19

Amazing work as usual Rob do you happen to have a link for the solder paste please not tried to solder on my models before normally it’s heavy gauge wire I have worked on.

Hope you have a great festive season with the family 

Best Wishes 

Keith 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Amazing work as usual Rob do you happen to have a link for the solder paste please not tried to solder on my models before normally it’s heavy gauge wire I have worked on.

Keith 

Hi Keith 

I bought mine a fw years back at Telford.  I thought it was Squires but they don't list

It comes in syringe and I believe is powered solder disolved

Searching on "solder paste" brings up a few hits

It's not cheap but mine has lasted since AFV days 

HTH

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Hope you have a great festive season with the family 

Best Wishes 

Keith 

Keith.

I’ll add my twopeneth. I use ordinary lead free solder wire, and paint on the join a flux paste, which looks like vaseline. Touch the iron with the solder, to melt as little as possible onto the tip. And then touch the join, the flux melts and draws the solder into the join.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is really coming on beautifully.

I add more applause for Maketar masks.  I’ve never actually used them in a ship build, but they’ve always performed flawlessly for me on aircraft.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Fellas.

The mast was stuck down with Gator Grip PVA.  it just looked too high - measured it slept on it and went back - gently broke it away and cut 1.5mm off.  Mike McCabe recommends 35mm - I had deliberately cut longer and then forgotten.  I think he's spot on.

Rigging commenced with Infini 40 and 20 gauge thread 

2021 12 27_3444

The usual fraught 3 hours of equal parts joy and despair!!!

Once the mast had been rigged the funnel could be stuck down to be then rigged

2021 12 27_3443

And then Davits to be attached and rigged.  and you can also see the forward, Bridge Carley flaot rack

2021 12 27_3437

2021 12 27_3438

2021 12 27_3440

2021 12 27_3439

2021 12 27_3441

2021 12 27_3442

and of course, after an afternoon fitting the boats to the davits, I realised I'd forgotten the mast ladder :banghead:

Thanks for looking and Stay Safe

Rob

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, Faraway said:

@robgizlu this is really looking most excellent. I'm guessing I'm seeing 'Bob's Buckles' in use, which size do you use ?

And am I right you add them after painting ?

Jon

Thanks Jon

I use the 1/48 buckles.  I have used the "Micro" buckles that are even smaller.  It wont be a suprise to learn that threading them takes three times as long particularly with the thinner "thread" which is somewhat paradoxical - the reason being that it won't thread straight because it's so bendy.  I use as much lighting as I can bring to bear including having a Petzel headtorch right next to the model and use an Optivisor.  It can still take a while.  I no longer rely on supergluing the attachments as I've had too many come adrift - I now tie all the major anchorages using  3 bights with 2 pairs of tweezers.   That said I'm not certain how you'd manage without these buckles.  THANKYOU @Bobs_Buckles once again :clap2:

Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1