1/350 HMS Poole, Bangor Class Minesweeper, Starling Models

With the LCI nearly completed, it's time to turn attention to Starling Model's recent release of a Bangor class Minesweeper in 1/350.

It'll be my first Starling model and I'm looking forwards to it with the excellent reputation for detail and precision.

Nicely boxed...

2021 06 16_2883 (2)

As provided it depicts HMS Rhyl well represented in this fine photo here

HMS RHYL BANGORCLASS MINESWEEPER B1940

I'll be building HMS Poole with it's very distinctive Camo scheme

HMS POOLE

and a port side view, and to date these are the only photos I can find

F4c_0031 resized.preview

It's a later iteration than the kit representation with a scheme circa 1943 onwards well represented by this colour profile from "CB3098 may 1943" available from Sovereign Colourcoats and special thanks to Jamie Duff for permission to use the profile

Capture

Elsewhere on the web the camo stripe has been intrepreted as B15, but I think the above as G10 is pretty compelling.  It's always difficult to discern B55 in B&W pics but I'm happy the profile will have been followed so the supertstructure is going to be B55 unless someone directs me otherwise!

HMS Seaham had a near identical scheme and there are clearer pics of the port side and layout.

HMS Seaham

Build issues

1)  The pennant number is 2 tone so that will necessitate the use of masks

2)  HMS Poole has a significant "Conniing" tower, shared by many including Seaham, though Poole appears to have extensions sideways and backwards that have ?canvas spray dodgers around.  

3)  Early Bangor Class vessels do not appear to have carried Carley floats - Poole has at least 2 and probably 3, the first on the starboard side of the bridge and likely 2 at the aft superstructure that appear to b supported on built-out platforms.  

4)  Despite the later time, she is still carrying an aft 2 pounder

5)  She appears to have 20 mm oerlikons in the bridge wings

I have highlighted the areas of concern inthe following pic

HMS Poole - Copy

The hull comes as a single one piece moulding which is without flaw apart from possibly a misplaced porthole that is not "drilled" out.  It's possible that it represents something different and there's a piece of tape to line up the lower row highlighting...

2021 06 28_2958

There's a substantial moulding piece attached along the keel.  First order of business was to remove this with clippers and a blade

2021 06 28_2959

It really is beautifully moulded.

Here's the rest of the kit which is complete and notably features 3D printed parts from Black Cat Models.  The way to go.

2021 06 28_2962

She'll be presented at anchor on a smallish base like so 

2021 06 28_2961

More soon 

Thanks for looking and feel free to add to any colour scheme debate Please

Rob 

• Like 25

• robgizlu changed the title to 1/350 HMS Poole, Bangor Class Minesweeper, Starling Models

A nice looking model, Rob.

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

... The hull comes as a single one piece moulding ...

... It really is beautifully moulded. ...

I'm green with envy.  :jealous:

Looking forward to following along.

John

• Like 1

Nice subject, I've got the kettle on and an extra cushion on the chair.

I'm hesitant to say anything, knowing how good Jamie is with camouflage. But the superstructure on the lower pics looks the same colour as the hull, especially on Seaham.

Tom

• Like 1

Does look a very nice kit and doing a bit of research it could be built as Blyth or Hartlepool some of them were built up in Blyth.

I would have said see the big boys have been around again but seems like they are never very far away these days as there are no shows to go to to see them so they just keep calling around you know to see if I am alright very kind of them.  :whistle:

looking forward to this one as always.  :popcorn:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Aye up Rob - do you need masks made for this?

That's kind Jamie but I've ordered a bundle for future builds from Maketar, I remain grateful for the offer.

15 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Nice subject, I've got the kettle on and an extra cushion on the chair.

I'm hesitant to say anything, knowing how good Jamie is with camouflage. But the superstructure on the lower pics looks the same colour as the hull, especially on Seaham.

Tom

It's the Admiralty rather than Jamie that dictated that profile, though I know what you mean Tom.  In one sense it's an act of faith, the profile was very accurately replicated on these vessels and it seems odd then not to complete it with the top colour.  We know that in 1944-45 B55 became increasingly widely used.  It's difficult to distinguish from G45 in B&W and the truth I feel as is so often the case, is that we'll never know for certain short of original colour photographs coming to light.  It's going to be my interpretation unless evidence arises to contradict.  And I just love the colour of B55!!

14 hours ago, beefy66 said:

I would have said see the big boys have been around again but seems like they are never very far away these days as there are no shows to go to to see them so they just keep calling around you know to see if I am alright very kind of them.  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

I rather fear Beefy's been on the Ginger wine again :shrug:

Rob:winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm in for this one Rob. That moulding looks great. I have a Starling River Class Frigate. The level of quality is superb.

As Beefy says, those big boys just can't seem to stay away from your work bench!

Terry

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Rob.

Well, I’ll go to the bottom of the stairs, I’ve just stumbled across this WIP.
I wasn’t going to start mine for a while and then I looked at it and the next thing you know, I’ve cut that lump off the hull and well, one thing led to another, so to speak. Another first, I’ve never built a resin kit.

Now, as it doesn’t come with a stand I thought (takes large gulp of wine) I’d try my hand a my first seascape base. So that’ll be TWO firsts, it must be the sun.

So any advice  🙏 would be very welcome.

Jon

Edited by Faraway
  • Haha 3

@robgizlu I’m confused. Started making the bridge (section 4 in the book) and it shows a wheel mounted on a pelorus (28) which is then fixed to a square on the bridge deck. The next diagram shows a telegraph (29) just in front of this square and TWO more pelorus (28) one forward and left and one to the right of the square. Trouble is, there are only two pelorus (28) on the sprue. Do you think this might be a mistake ?

Jon

Hi Jon

We may need @longshanks, @Chewbacca or @Ex-FAAWAFU for final technical advice here all of whom have had professional experience.

I think that Part 28 (Black Cat resin parts) is a Compass Binnacle which in this instance happens to have a wheel attached.  My understanding is that this is the primary steering compass

rt0615

The pelorus is a compass that allows you take azimuth bearings 

Here's the arrangement taken from my "Manual of Seamanship Vol 1" 1951 (cheap as chips on Ebay and full of relevant info)

Scan0119 (2)

I think the instructions indicating 2 x 28 (Compass binnacles) is wrong.  Part 29 is the Pelorus (of which there are 2)  

There are 2 uncredited resin printed pieces ahead of 29 and adjacent to the vents (26).  These may represent the engine telegraphs as indicated above

And with all this said - you are unlikely to see very much through the windows.

HTH

And BTW - you are shaming me resurrecting this blog which has stalled :blush: :lol:

Rob

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

HTH

And BTW - you are shaming me resurrecting this blog which has stalled :blush: :lol:

Sorry I resurrect old bones. 
I didn’t really mean to start this, but one thing lead to another. I’m refraining from doing a WIP with this, sometimes find taking photos and posting a bit of a pain.

Got to agree, that most of what I’m asking about will disappear when the roof goes on, it must be my inner ‘anorak’ 😂😂😂

Jon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Faraway said:

I’m being a bit of an anorak with this, considering it’ll all disappear.

Jon

Jon, don't be shy, everyone has some small obsessions 😉

You are not alone (my 1/400 fourstacker, many years ago):

RSCN4451.jpg

PS. Rob, sorry for OT, I hope see your excellent work soon again! 🍻

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 8:49 PM, robgizlu said:

Hi Jon

We may need @longshanks, @Chewbacca or @Ex-FAAWAFU for final technical advice here all of whom have had professional experience.

I think that Part 28 (Black Cat resin parts) is a Compass Binnacle which in this instance happens to have a wheel attached.  My understanding is that this is the primary steering compass

rt0615

The pelorus is a compass that allows you take azimuth bearings 

Here's the arrangement taken from my "Manual of Seamanship Vol 1" 1951 (cheap as chips on Ebay and full of relevant info)

Scan0119 (2)

I think the instructions indicating 2 x 28 (Compass binnacles) is wrong.  Part 29 is the Pelorus (of which there are 2)  

There are 2 uncredited resin printed pieces ahead of 29 and adjacent to the vents (26).  These may represent the engine telegraphs as indicated above

HTH

Rob

I’d say that all sounds right, Rob.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

And thank you Crisp.

So with a slight break, it's back to this - whilst paint and Klear are drying on LCI (L) 98.

2021 11 15_3280

Portholes are filled aft bilaterally and some are "added" forwards as different ships apper to have had different numbers.

The anchor hawser holes are drilled out as well.  

I've used masking tape to approximate to the waterline which is not engraved and placing the ship on a piece of paper and "sticking" it down with Bluetack I mark off cm gradations along the hull

2021 11 15_3282

The trick is then to measure the hull at 1cm spaces with crappy old calipers to begin to form a waterline template.  Aim on the small side - under rather than overestimate is the best

2021 11 15_3284

Et voila - I've sanded the sides of the styrofoam down first and "painted" them with Liquitex "Gloss and medium varnish"

2021 11 15_3285

Then use a No 11 blade to cut INSIDE the felt-penned outline.  You are deliberately aiming to make the waterline hole SMALLER than needed.  

Cut down vertically and then obliquely from inside and it all comes out relatively neatly.  You can use the end of the scalpel blade to vigorusly scrape the bottom to deepen it - the styrofoam disintegrates in a fairly conrolled manner

2021 11 15_3288

You can now press the vessel in and if necessary use quite a bit of force to compress the sides - Holes and gaps are your worst enemy - better to file it down rather than start with too big a hole

2021 11 15_3287

With a bit of luck fit should be snug with no major gaps :thumbsup:

And my latest technique to create a wavey surface is to simply press padlock hasps in - using at least 2 different sizes, it's quick, neat and frankly easy.  Note - this will only work onthe softer (creamy) Styrofoam - the harder grey variety does not deform.

2021 11 15_3290

She'll be at anchor and I've taken to setting ships at an angle which is a change from being parrallel with the bases.  The sea is at right angles to the lie.

2021 11 15_3291

2021 11 15_3292

More soon

Bet you all thought I'd forgotten about this - blame Jon and his guilting :lol:

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

And my latest technique to create a wavey surfac is to simply press padlock hasps in - using at least 2 different sizes, it's quick, neat and frankly easy.  Note - this will only work onthe softer (creamy) Styrofoam - the harder grey variety does not deform.

Rob.

Interesting.

I shall try this next time.

Jon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

And my latest technique to create a wavey surface is to simply press padlock hasps in - using at least 2 different sizes, it's quick, neat and frankly easy. 

It is the simple things that please us.  :wink: great idea.

Glad to see you back at this as well

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1