Dornier Do 17Z interior colours?

TempestV

Good afternoon chaps,

We have recently moved house and so with all of the associated packing, storage, unboxing etc not a lot of modelling has been done in the last couple of months. I now have a much larger modelling room and spent the weekend setting everything up.

Before jumping back in where I left off  (the 1/32 Revell Mustang as 'Frenesi'), I have decided that a palette-cleanser might be a good idea and spent a while opening boxes in search of a new and uncomplicated victim. After a while my eyes fell on the new-tool Airfix Do-17 that I started back in 2015 but never got any further forward than painting the interior. It seems to be a nice kit despite the deep panel lines, and they can be sorted out with gloop. I also have decals for a Kenley Raider (I have a family connection) so that was that!

I had initially sprayed the internals RLM 02, but seem to recall there being a discussion that Do-17 cockpits may well have been RLM 66  as per most of the BoB bombers. I had a look at the Eduard instructions for their re-boxed ICM Do 17, and they also go with RLM 02.

So my question is whether RLM 02 is the right colour for a Do 17 cockpit in August 1940, or would they have come off the line painted RLM 66?

cheers,

Chris

I went with the RLM02 for mine, apart from that being the colour suggested in the instructions (and Airfix did get a good look at the Do17 that was recovered from the Goodwin Sands so if there was any paint left at all they ought to know) I've not seen any evidence that RLM66 was used internally on the Do17Z apart from radio boxes etc.

HTH, Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Posted before, there was a very interesting discussion on Hyperscale some time ago based on a find by Lynn Ritger.

Go back and look at what color the cockpit is painted... Ton (shade or tone) 66. And what, dear reader, is 66? That's right... Schwartzgrau. Not RLM 02, but Schwartzgrau. And when was this document printed? 1937. This should put to rest any questions about whether 66 was used on prewar aircraft, the answer is a most emphatic YES. Or "JA!", if you prefer.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/viewtopic.php?p=1281653#p1281653

Based on these documents which are about the Do-17E, I think Do-17Z cockpits were RLM66. However, as others have pointed out, (airbrushed) images of the cockpit in manuals look rather light suggesting a lighter colour - so it may have also been RLM 02. But I'm going to go with the information from these documents when I ever get around to building mine :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a thread on this subject(interior color(s) of Luftwaffe aircraft) some months ago. It is worth finding. The evidence did show that RLM66 was the paint color on Do-17Zs. I know that I learned a lot of new information while reading the thread. TH

Joe

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 3:33 AM, JPuente54 said:

There was a thread on this subject(interior color(s) of Luftwaffe aircraft) some months ago

This one?  Started in 2017 and resurrected in August 2020. Note split between RLM 02 and 66.

Ray

• Like 1

I can't add any new information but from all the sources I've referred to before, plus various posts that I've read on the subject, I've always understood that the cockpits of BoB period Luftwaffe aircraft were RLM02 with RLM66 being introduced at some point possibly towards the end of August/early September. I've certainly always thought that the He111 cockpits were RLM02 during this period, along with the Bf109, Bf110 and Ju87, so does this now suggest that this may not have been the case or were Do17's treated differently for some reason?

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

The rule about going to RLM66 in change of RLM02 had me "in a box" as the phrase goes. I was in the US Army and would get or receive notices/memos saying something was due NLT(No Later Than) from time -to-time. The RLM02 to RLM66 was the same thing. It was a notice to the companies(plane manufacturers, subcontractors, paint companies, etc.) to order the paint, paint pigments, and the like to ensure that all had enough of RLM66 paint for use. RLM02 was still being used, but, in smaller amounts. A company could paint the cockpit area in RLM66 well before the changeover date; the RLM did not rule they couldn't. Just that after the Dec. 1941 date(IIRC), it had to be in RLM66. I was of the "Use RLM02 until the date" mind; the thread that @Ray_W quotes reminded of what I wrote(could be used before) earlier. HTH

Joe

• Like 1

Thanks a ton for your responses and links etc.

I resprayed the original paintwork and now have RLM 66 up to station 7 and then RLM 02 for the rest of the interior. The detail supplied by Airfix is pretty decent for the scale and I see at least one more of these in my future.  Well, I  say that - it is currently OOP and some eejits are asking up to £50 for one on eBay...

cheers, 

Chris

• Like 2