Bristol Scout C, MAC Distribution, 1:72

OK, I gave in.

This has been whispering quietly to me for the last few days and I finally decided to dig it out and take a closer look.

51276885624_a71a17e1ac_c.jpg

I've built one other MAC kit, the Fokker D.VII, and I seem to remember it went together fairly well. I replaced the engine and struts but don't recall any other issues.

I suppose I'd better follow tradition and start with "what's in the box"...

First off, the two parts trees.

51276325678_e56bcc2718_c.jpg

51276325708_f30b68e696_c.jpg

The detail looks pretty good. Nice crisp moudings. A bit of flash on the mould joint lines but nothing major.

51276885394_9c1dc176b5_c.jpg

51276325488_9bdec414aa_c.jpg

All that moulded rib detail will be removed anyway as it's overdone, and even on the wing undersides!

There are also a couple of resin Lewis guns, a small etch sheet and a clear piece for the windscreen and instrument panel (which is wrong anyway!)

51276157256_c78236d479_c.jpg

Decals look good, with 4 options included

51276157326_903b6cf23e_c.jpg

I want an early RNAS aircraft so will either do 1250 as included

51276157616_05998e2dcd_c.jpg

or 1244 as seen in this pic

51276008181_d212c661d6_z.jpg

Both were at Eastchurch in June 1915 and there are pics of both in the Windsock datafile. The kit shows 1250 with an over wing Lewis but the photo doesn't and since I want something "accurate but representative" I will probably go for 1244 and fit a Lewis to the right side of the fuselage firing at 30° off the centre line, as fitted to quite a few RNAS aircraft. It isn't visible in the photo, but then neither is the right side so no-one can say it wasn't there!

That will mean I will have to make either decals or masks for the tail numbers, and I will also have to do the same for the roundals as the photo clearly shows them full chord, and with no white centre, just a thin white ring around both inner and outer edges of the red ring. The kit roundals are too small and have a solid white centre.

OK, so onto the parts themselves. I've already mentioned that I will remove all the moulded rib details, as I don't like that look, although it is moulded in the right places so it could be acceptable for others.

What about size?

51276325388_8170b24ce2_c.jpg

51276885264_7c063c2bc9_c.jpg

Both upper and lower wings are slightly short (about 21cm in full size) so I will add fillets to the tips to correct that.

51276885324_5bfdd31122_c.jpg

The fuselage is also slightly short. The error appears to be in the rear fuselage so I'll probably cut it at the rear decking once it's all glued together and add a small fillet to correct the length. There is also a moulded line just forward of the tail which shouldn't be there so it will be filled. It looks as though MAC have mistaken the front horizontal stabilizer strut for a fuselage join line!

51277181565_b5c133c4f1_c.jpg

51276885294_4d5a3fea00_c.jpg

The tail parts are nicely sized, but again have overdone rib detail. They are also quite thick so I'll replace them with sheet stock as I usually do.

51275406432_633653da1b_c.jpg

The engine is not too bad, especially as it's almost entirely hidden in the cowling. But it's the wrong engine! Early machines had a 7 cylinder Gnôme, not a 9 cylinder

Le Rhone! I raided a Sikorsky S.XVI kit for the correct engine (that aircraft did have a 9 cylinder Le Rhône and I already have a Small Parts replacement for it so I won't need it there!). 

51276885459_c8114580e0_c.jpg

That will do the trick!

The cowling will also need adjusting slightly as the earlier ones were more rounded at the front. It should be an easy fix.

Eventually I took sanding sticks to plastic and the wings are done.

51275406692_42efdd9124_c.jpg

51277181490_b4f4f0c8d6_c.jpg

There are 2 upper wings in the kit, one with a centre cut-out for a Lewis mounting and one without, so these are comparing the unaltered one with the one I've done. 

Unfortunately the lower wings are far too thin now I've removed the rib detail so I'll scratch new ones from card. Odd that they were different thicknesses!

That's the state of play for now, thanks for looking in!

Stay safe!

Ian

• Like 20

Great start @Brandy and clearly a subject you know lots about. I, on the other hand have next no knowledge of this aircraft so will watch on and marvel what looks to be another great biplane build in the making. 
Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

clearly a subject you know lots about.

Not particularly, but I do have the Windsock Datafile!

Ian

• Like 1

I've made a little more progress on this over the last couple of days. The first job was to take care of the wings.

As I mentioned, the lower ones were too thin after the sanding so I made new ones from 40thou (1mm) sheet.

They were scored and snapped out of the sheet, then sanded to the correct shape and aerofoil section. I actually enjoy that part as I find sanding very relaxing. OK, I'm weird!

The upper wing was cut in the centre and a length of 1.5 x 2.5mm rod was glued in to widen it to the correct span. A couple of small pieces of 2mm rod placed under the tips and a weight at the centre ensured the correct dihedral. Next day (today) that was all sanded to shape.

51281218676_17174d204e_c.jpg

51281395568_7538a027f3_c.jpg

While looking at the plans another detail suddenly jumped out at me. It was clearly printed in black type..... the plans of the C show the later, wider, tail surfaces as fitted to airframes after 3013. Mine was before that! The plans for the A were duly copied and the tail surfaces cut out.

Good job I noticed!

51281395608_5e1415edba_c.jpg

The last job today then was to glue the wing plans to the wings so I can remove the ailerons, and trim up the tail plans ready to cut new parts from 20 thou (0.5mm) sheet tomorrow.

51282243880_6c5ac3998f_c.jpg

That's where she sits as of tonight. Tomorrow I hope to finish preparing the wings and tail surfaces.

Take care, thanks for looking in, and stay safe!

Ian

• Like 14

I got a couple of hours in after work today, so a bit more progress on this one.
Ailerons removed and new tail surfaces made from 0.5mm sheet stock.

51285092103_ce4f3761c6_c.jpg

The edges were give a quick paring with a scalpel blade to remove the sharpness, other than that they were just cut and sanded to shape.

51284921746_198de9c8d6_c.jpg

I think that counts as an improvement!

Ian

• Like 9

There's been a little more progress here over the last few days. I've also done a little more research and I now realise that the angled fuselage mounts were later than the period I want to depict. Most of the early aircraft at Eastchurch were involved in trials of various weapons, from darts to grenades, as anti-Zeppelin techniques. In fact it wasn't even a given that machine guns were the most desirable weapon at that time. As a result of that, I will probably do 1246, which WAS documented as having a Lewis gun mounted on the upper wing at this time. This was also the aircraft involved in testing the tail trestle used for the first ship-borne take-off by an aeroplane. That was also a Bristol Scout, number 1255, flown from HMS Vindex by Flt Commander BF Fowler on November 3rd 1915. The take-off run was 46 feet - the flight deck was 64 feet long, giving a usable run of about 50 feet! (The tyres were chalked so the run could be accurately measured).

Fuselage interior detail has been added. I used 0.25 x 0.75mm rod as I couldn't find my 0.25 x 0.5mm. Of course I found it the next day after it had all set solid so it will stay slightly oversized. I also added a false floor to hide the join, and a small panel behind the pilot's back. The details will be added after it's all painted.

51300792059_5f65d0779d_c.jpg

51299341807_af5b358bbc_c.jpg

Wing spars have also been added from stock rod

51299341847_2caf43cb33_c.jpg

and finally I decided I'd add a little bling in the form of a Barracuda resin seat (the smaller one)

51301100555_1df2f1826e_c.jpg

Last thing this afternoon was a blast of CDL on the interior. This will also be the base for the wood so I did the prop too.

51301100430_50132709d3_c.jpg

51300084566_957dfdd612_c.jpg

Sorry, those are a bit washed out!

That's it for today, also got half of another Merc wheel done, so the mojo seems to be returning!

Thanks for looking in and stay safe!

Ian

• Like 11

These MAC kits aren't cheap but

A: these Bristol Scouts are so attractive ( you have seen the restoration DVD by a proud grandson for his grandad? ) and

B: they're not Hansa Brandenburg D.Is, this latter is very important to one's well-being and joie de vivre.

On the ebay experience they're going for a stiff price for a 72nd model and it's good to see you tackle it and to appraise it.

Best wishes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Lovely work on a compelling subject Ian.

:clap2:

Looking forwards to your peerless wood paint effects as always. 😁

Many thanks Tony, welcome back!

Ian

• Like 1

No progress on this today unfortunately, as I spent over 5 hours at the local hospital fulfilling the local requirements (which include fitting a tracking watch) after developing  Covid symptoms yesterday, and having the resulting PCR test come back positive this morning.

The plus side is I now have 10 days free to concentrate on nothing but modelling!

See you soon!

Ian

• Sad 1

Right, where were we?

Prop has been finished with highly thinned leather followed by clear orange as usual. 

51322281424_d97fafe1ef_c.jpg

I'm still not sure about that, I may redo it.

The Barracuda seat is very nice, but has no cushion for some reason, so I made one out of an offcut of plastic card. I astonished myself by actually getting the curve bang at the back spot on at the first effort! It was then painted with MIG light wood to give it a slightly darker shade than the linen.

51322281469_06940ab008_c.jpg

After that it was time to add some interior detail. There isn't much, but it needs what little there is! In addition to the seat and framework already mentioned, I cut two thin strips from a beer can for the foot rests (why paint plastic to look like aluminium when you can use aluminium?), then made up a rudimentary pair of rudder pedals, a joystick, and an instrument panel - the PE one is nice but it's totally wrong! I also added some of the interior bracing with 0.06mm nickel chrome wire just for the heck of it.

I've been doing this in between attempting to get the Merc wheels finished, which is a soul destroying task, so the "break" is welcome!

51321543091_420d0a10a8_c.jpg[/url

51321742898_d2173e66ca_c.jpg

51321543026_caf8a84b1b_c.jpg

Once that was al done there was only one thing for it....

51321742748_a8f276bc97_c.jpg

There's a slight lip on the underside but that should sand down easily enough, all other seams are good.

51321742708_c4aa3a3ae1_c.jpg

You'll also notice the cowling there - two thin discs of sheet were glued onto the front and then sanded back to give the more rounded front of the earlier cowlings fitted to the Gnome engined aircraft.

As it happens, I had a few pre cut discs that fitted perfectly left over from building the brakes for the Merc!

51320805957_ba623a3f64_c.jpg

I also took a look at the kit wheels - they're not bad, apart from the inner sides.

51321742943_aba17b88e2_c.jpg

PPP has been applied!

So for tomorrow it looks like finishing off the wheels, then tidying up the fuselage joints and maybe getting some primer on to see how it looks.

Thanks for looking in, and stay safe!

Ian

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Lovely work as usual Ian. And I'm certain that as I follow this one, it will get better, and better and better, as they all do.

So are we going to have any bits 3D printed I'm wondering?

Terry

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Lovely work as usual Ian. And I'm certain that as I follow this one, it will get better, and better and better, as they all do.

So are we going to have any bits 3D printed I'm wondering?

Terry

Probably not on this one, there really isn't much need now I've corrected the kit bits. Landing gear will be my standard brass rod.

Ian

• Like 1