Hansa Brandenburg D.1 (EASTERN EXPRESS) " Cherry-coloured Funk".

Random phone stuck into pocket but not locked typing I think.  Not drugs or alcohol. Although I am in many drugs they are all prescribed ones :) ( don’t get me started)

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 1

watchlar

Edit : oil paint's dry☆. The cockpit aperture is pea sized. Also, darker varnishes on the real planes existed perhaps as a Phonix or Brandenburg variation. So might go for a darker orange chic style. 

☆Used a dab of 'Liquin' accelerator. That stuff is gold.

A word about Liquin Original. It's a Windsor and Newton patented (iirc) accelerator,in effect, that artists use to mix -- at no more than 5% of total volume -- into oil paints before and durung application. 

From wikipedia:

"Winsor & Newton suggests the use of Liquin as a ''fat'' or ''flexible'' agent, to increase the flexibility subsequent layers. While Liquin Original, and Liquin Light Gel Medium are mixtures of petroleum distillates, Liquin Oleopasto, and Liquin Impasto are mixtures of alkyd resin and petroleum distillates."

The drying time is slashed dramatically but the downside for modellers is the ultra glossy finish and if you're not careful, some noticeable texture. For 72nd scale this could be disastrous. Even in 32nd you'll not want much texture in your pretend cedar or spruce.

I used a tiny dab added with a broken sharp edge of a Sting CD☆, about the only enjoyable use it has ever had, in truth. Remember. 5% is just sufficient to assist.

☆ I didn't deliberately break it. 

☆Yes, I did.

Pics tonight.

Edited by Major Flannel
  • Like 2

Barely progressing, such are real life interruptions, hordes of steppe cold callers, Yodel drivers and other nuisances.

A carved cedarwood floor was added (posh!), the interior given a W&S Naples Yellow base coat, then a clear acrylic barrier, because Tamiya clear orange detests sheer oil coats, required it and was applied last. The inner structure highlighted with a Faber pencil, ivory in colour.

Barely progressing as stated a hundred times before I noticed the edit button again.

NKOSY8.jpg

This bird is tiny. It shall have wings.

Virtually nothing can be seen inside the interior here except the dash and the seat and stick, so we move on.

...Aaaaand Toko's sprue C has a lateral physical weakness; the seat support, the smaller engine details all broke into several pieces with the merest application of force. Looks like the fuse front will have to be cut out to add in another, whole, Roden Astro-Daimler with a supporting member. Annoying.

The struts, landing gear parts are on another sprue and seperated just fine.

Thanks for looking. Sorry about the poor light; the orange wash is far 'tidier' than it appears here.

Edited by Major Flannel
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 11:18 AM, Major Flannel said:

NtStva.jpg

Oh, someone building a Starstrutter in 1/72! Quite some thing, will definitely follow!

I will look for one myself, but in 1/48 - even that's too small for my old, dull eyes and shaking clumsy fingers.

But, just for the files; this very plane is a Phoenix-build Strutter, as one could tell by the registration. Series 28 was Phoenix, as thy had the builder code 2, the original HB build D1 was series 65 (builder code 6).

And, not to mess up the Phoenix-build HD D1 (Series 28) with the Phoenix DI (Series 128), which is based on the HD DI (K.u.K. designation KDI), but has another engine and wings.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 8:35 PM, Major Flannel said:

The great thing about Roden-alike aircraft is how many Austro Daimlers and Mercedes engines one can accumulate over time. No Heiros but could be wrong.

You're right, the Hiro Engine wasn't used in the KDI, but only in the Phoenix DI. DI and DII for Luftfahrttruppen had the 200 PS Hiro Engine, and 230 PS for Seeflieger. DIII had 230PS Hiros or 225PS Austro Daimlers.

Uuhm, sorry, I got distracted - this is about the Starstrutter, not any Phoenix.

Will follow nice and quiet from now on, and raise my hand before talking. 🤐   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

You're right, the Hiro Engine wasn't used in the KDI, but only in the Phoenix DI. DI and DII for Luftfahrttruppen had the 200 PS Hiro Engine, and 230 PS for Seeflieger. DIII had 230PS Hiros or 225PS Austro Daimlers.

Uuhm, sorry, I got distracted - this is about the Starstrutter, not any Phoenix.

Will follow nice and quiet from now on, and raise my hand before talking. 🤐   

Your expertise will be greatly welcomed! This is quite outside my interests ('Eastern Roman Empire' 'galleys' and soviet interwar airplanes, really) so any corrections will be appreciated.

I fell in love with the Amodel Nie. IV last year during lockdown and decided to look at these magnificent early craft in detail.

Bought a whole Windsock book to date: the NiD. 29 which I find a gorgeous bird. So that's leaning into the inter-war theme once more.

------

So now, you know what? Out comes the desert yellow rattle can and spray the interior again. That Tamiya clear orange has dreadful chemical properties.

NKFzEw.jpg

Best wishes.

NKFWEX.jpg

Much better.

NKgJ1C.jpg

Edited by Major Flannel
  • Like 1

Finally having time to push ahead with Roden/Toko/EE's exquisitely molded Hansa D.III I started by priming with a single sand coloured coat. It revealed, at least on the upper wings, such wondrous, fine, detail I did a double take and considered building another arabian Dhow ship. Perhaps this time an Omani vessel? An Indian dhow?

NJ2tGw.jpg

Not one of mine; it is too classy a build.

So...

NJ2h78.jpg

Well. At least the lowers aren't that bad. The wings do have more rib detail than the camera picked up - but not by much.

The upper wing is as you can see a simple rectangle; therefore I shall scratch it, retaining the centrally located manhole cover. I note that the PART Hansa Brandenburger PE contains this but the fuse is going to be buttoned up next. So no, Mr PART, you and your shiny brass baubles. Not today.

Best wishes until next time.

12 hours ago, Brandy said:

What on earth has happened to that upper wing surface???

Ian

That is the kit. What with every part breaking in half -- IP broken, Seat support broken, engine cylinder bank broken and this horrible wing defacement, this beats the flash ridden Roden Albatros W4 by several country miles. And then some.

But finally with its broken IP inserted and the fuse halves pretending to adhere to one another, its buttoned up. Seat belts look great! Not that you can see anything. *sigh*

Take care.

NJLYM2.jpg

So. Mr Toko. If that's your real name...

Edited by Major Flannel
  • Like 1

You seem to have picked up a Monday morning special. I've built this kit three times and can confirm the later issues are not to the same standard. Warped rear fuselage which can be resolved with a clothes peg but still annoying. The upper wing has excess thickness in places along the trailing edge which can be removed but I've never had the gouge marks you have. Increasing amounts of flash but fragility of small parts seems to be pot luck. One kit suffered from snapped struts and the cylinder heads fell apart but the other two were fine. But there is a decent kit in there with perseverance and I think it's the only game in town. Best of luck. 

• Like 1

It's disheartening. Not checking box contents before starting wasn't a great idea. The thing is supposed to be fun but is anything but. Thanks for the encouragement.

Not going to be deterred although it has become an object of distaste. Primary irritation is that the 'weak' sprue has a tension in it more or less through its centreline. Release any molded part on it and it breaks into smaller pieces. The short molded tail unit is another joy. And so on. 

The upper wing has been sanded almost flat since yesterday and I did wonder why they provided full length decals for the thing. That you can guarantee it too could break into 60 pieces very easily.

Best thing is to finish it and post again. I loathe the thing but we'll see it finished.

Edit: perversely the struts are just fine. They sand easily, are solid and are in no need of dressing up. Whether they'll actually fit into place is the work of satan of course.

Best wishes.

Edited by Major Flannel
  • Like 1

It starts to look like a regular model kit, not an Eastern Express abomination. It took a few hours to get here, if you can believe such a thing. I like the CDL colour already. It's just a regular rattlecan for home repairs, 'sand' colour, about a fiver for 250ml.

NJFWTl.jpg

Edited by Major Flannel
  • Like 2