Airfix Bucc S.2B 12 Sqn - New tool

Now that really looks lovely and the in-flight attitude is just perfect for a Bucc. Fantastic build all round and something to tempt wheels down modellers like me to possibly consider something different. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

Very nice - you've really captured the Bucc' in its natural environment.

22 minutes ago, eng said:

To fly a jet at this height at 500kts over a featureless North Sea must have been a phenomenal experience and demand utmost concentration.

As a Buccaneer pilot once described it to me: it's so smooth it's like rolling a ball bearing on a sheet of glass.

• Like 2

Nice Job, Eng!

Its really a lovely model kit....with the qualifier it works best in the hands of an experienced modeler who can work around the few minor foibles of the build <COFF! GLARESHIELD! COFF!>.

It's  very cleverly and intensively-engineered for what it is, but its a truly worthy 72nd scale replica of the plane.

-d-

• Like 1

Fantastic model.

And I like the display base, very simple but makes the aircraft look very dynamic.

What did you use for the arm - is it tubing or solid rod, what metal and what diameter.  And how did you prepare the model to receive the arm - did you glue a block of something inside?

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

Excellent model of the Bucc.........brought back memories from the early 90s. Being buzzed by a pair 'roaming in the gloaming' on our way up to Strathallan one evening from Edinburgh in a Sea King HC.4. I  was then fortunate enough to get up to Lossiemouth for the Farewell to the Buccaneer event back in 94......For once the weather behaved itself and we were able to see and photograph almost all of the remaining airframes before being treated to some impromptu air displays on the day - a memorable event.  

Well Done, Sir ! 

• Like 1

Good Evening one and all, just wanted to say a massive thanks for all the love for this one! Very much appreciated indeed thank you.

On 6/28/2021 at 6:49 AM, nheather said:

Fantastic model.

And I like the display base, very simple but makes the aircraft look very dynamic.

What did you use for the arm - is it tubing or solid rod, what metal and what diameter.  And how did you prepare the model to receive the arm - did you glue a block of something inside?

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi @nheather the support is a piece of 2.3mm hard steel wire polished up and carefully shaped. Its simply glued into place through the 3 layers of structure just aft of the rear fuselage bulkhead with Araldite epoxy. The other end is just pushed into an interference fit hole on the base. I must admit my display plan kind of grew with the kit and if I do another I would probably secure a nut inside the fuselage and thread the end of the rod, or use 2 pieces of square section hollow tube that telescope neatly together.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:12 PM, Tiger331 said:

Excellent model of the Bucc.........brought back memories from the early 90s. Being buzzed by a pair 'roaming in the gloaming' on our way up to Strathallan one evening from Edinburgh in a Sea King HC.4. I  was then fortunate enough to get up to Lossiemouth for the Farewell to the Buccaneer event back in 94......For once the weather behaved itself and we were able to see and photograph almost all of the remaining airframes before being treated to some impromptu air displays on the day - a memorable event.  

Well Done, Sir ! 

@Tiger331 that must have been epic to see from an airborne platform! I remember seeing footage of the final Bucc Farewell and would have loved to have been there for that. I have 2 fond memories of the Bucc, the first a mass airfield attack during the 1986 Lossie where at one point there were Bucc's beating up the airfield at very low level from every direction you looked, and then the last one I saw airborne was the RAE machine. A group of us were on a school activities week and were sea fishing out of Portpatrick in SW Scotland, being the only boat for miles around I'm 100% sure the Bucc crew saw us before they shot past a few hundred metres off the bow but low enough to be kicking up some spray! Yes the Bucc was some bit of kit.

Thanks again for all the kind comments, a wrap-round camo bird will be the next one, and a Gulf War machine with some nice nose art at some point too.

Cheers,

Eng

• Like 3

On 6/28/2021 at 8:12 PM, Tiger331 said:

Well Done, Sir ! 

I look back fondly at the 90s as a great decade for airshows.  I would do Fairford, Farnborough, Mildenhall, Biggin Hill and smaller shows.  There was so much variety back then - after the fall of the wall we started to get plenty of Russian and former Soviet visitor, always plenty of US attendance.

Saw Desert Storm Buccaneers on the ground and flying.

Unfortunately, after 911 the political stage changed, coupled with the increasing cost and reduced budgets, and tightened safety rules, attendance at shows has got a lot more limited - to the extent that the shows started to lose their individuality and it became pretty much the same exhibits, at the each show and every year.

Still enjoy airshows but they are not a patch on what they were in the 90s.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 4