Tim's Airfix Beaufighter - COMPLETED

Joining you with the recent Airfix Beaufighter.  A 2015 purchase direct from Airfix.

Airfix-Beaufighter.jpg

Parts,  to which a lot of interior green has just been applied.

01-parts.jpg

Planning to build this option.

01-SEAoption.jpg

And my only previous Beaufighter,  this Matchbox model, built 1987.

Matchbox-Beaufighter.jpg

• Like 13

This is proving to be a popular kit indeed, I’ll have to do a count back to see how many we’ve actually got going on here.
Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Step 10 of the instructions mentions sanding/scraping off the small blisters from the inboard upper wings. There were only on much latter Beaus.

This is looking good so far.

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Engines finally fitted.  That and the cowlings, far too complicated for their own good.

My props will have a 1mm shaft right through the engines and rear bulkhead, and be removeable.

20-Engines.jpg

But persevered, and finally able to start airbrushing, Humbrol 165 underside.

25-H165.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Tim,

camouflage is looking great! Your method of masking is very interesting and effective - what do you use to attach the paper masks? Presumably, the masks need to be quite closely attached to the surface of the model to get a sharp(ish) demarcation line between the colours, but at the same time can be varied to give a soft edge?

Great stuff!

Cheers,

Mark

6 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

camouflage is looking great! Your method of masking is very interesting and effective - what do you use to attach the paper masks? Presumably, the masks need to be quite closely attached to the surface of the model to get a sharp(ish) demarcation line between the colours, but at the same time can be varied to give a soft edge?

Today I used WhiteTak - which doesn't really come off cleanly, so not recommended.

I aim for a slight standoff for that soft edge you mention, and try to avoid shooting my airbrush into that gap.

I do have alternates, wich I'll apply tonight, to see how they detatch tomorrow.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Today I used WhiteTak - which doesn't really come off cleanly, so not recommended.

I aim for a slight standoff for that soft edge you mention, and try to avoid shooting my airbrush into that gap.

I do have alternates, wich I'll apply tonight, to see how they detatch tomorrow.

Thanks, Tim, that's brilliant! I think that very slight soft edge makes for a much more realistic finish. When I try it out, I'll have to be extra careful to keep the airbrush perpendicular!!!

I'll be interested to see how it goes tomorrow!

Cheers,

Mark

13 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Tim, that's brilliant! I think that very slight soft edge makes for a much more realistic finish. When I try it out, I'll have to be extra careful to keep the airbrush perpendicular!!!

I'll be interested to see how it goes tomorrow!

This is the experiment I started last night

I put some of my OfficeProducts WhiteTak that I used and didn't recommend onto the tail.

Bostik BluTak onto the port wing, and Uhu WhiteTak onto Stdb.

Blu-Tak-Experiments.jpg

And results this morning.

Bostik BluTak and Uhu WhiteTak came off cleanly.  OfficeProducts WhiteTak left a residue - and won't be used again.

Blu-Tak-Results.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Interesting, Tim - I hope the residue comes off.....Thanks for posting this :)

Cheers,

Mark

The residue comes off, by rolling a small ball of WhiteTak over that area, which lifts it.

Back to my build, and decals today.  Joining 27 Squadron RAF in the Far East.

Decals27-Sqdn-P.jpg

Decals27-Sqdn-S.jpg

• Like 6