Best 1/72 Fieseler Fi.156 Storch

2996 Victor

Simple question for those that know: what's the best available 1/72 scale Fieseler Fi.156 Storch?

Not worried about markings/decals, just which is the most accurate.

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,

Mark

2 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

Hi Modelldoc,

That's brilliant, thanks! Sounds like the Academy kit is a good option.

Cheers,

Mark

Just now, Graham Boak said:

The Academy is better than the Airfix, as it should be given the respective ages.  I don't know the AZ but would expect it to be more difficult to assemble than the others.

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for that! I'll be interested to see if anyone has any thoughts on the AZ kit, but Academy is looking good.

Cheers,

Mark

8 minutes ago, Charlie Hugo said:

There is a Heller kit as well.

I'll second that. The Heller kit is still very decent. Got one on the bench at the moment. 

• Like 1

I think (and a quick Googling of Scalemates confirms) that the AZ kit is the Heller reboxed.

A nice kit, just don't know how the moulds are holding up after all this time. I do like the Academy slightly more, though... possibly simply because it's a newer kit that looks a slightly easier build.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I'll second that. The Heller kit is still very decent. Got one on the bench at the moment. 

Thanks, Steve!

I haven't built a Heller kit in years (looking forward to the Nieuport Delage!) Have you got a WiP going?

Cheers,

Mark

6 minutes ago, cvrle said:

I think (and a quick Googling of Scalemates confirms) that the AZ kit is the Heller reboxed.

A nice kit, just don't know how the moulds are holding up after all this time. I do like the Academy slightly more, though... possibly simply because it's a newer kit that looks a slightly easier build.

Is it? That's good to know. Might be worth a punt!

Cheers,

Mark

7 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

There’s this one, if you want to drive yourself nuts…

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/plastic-kits/other/aircraft/1-72/fi-156-storch-stripdown-1-72.html

best,

M.

Not sure my stress levels would cope with it! :rofl2:

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I haven't built a Heller kit in years (looking forward to the Nieuport Delage!) Have you got a WiP going?

Must admit, I didn't think of a WIP! Then again, I've got about five Heller kits on the go at the moment so I wouldn't know which one to choose for a WIP. You'll enjoy the Nieuport. It's typical 70s Heller and very nice indeed. I hadn't built a Heller kit since I was a teenager, then took part in the Classic Heller GB and haven't stopped building them since. It's funny, but I really rated their kits when I was younger, but just seemed to forget that fact!

10 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

That's bordering on insanity! 🤣

Steve

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Must admit, I didn't think of a WIP! Then again, I've got about five Heller kits on the go at the moment so I wouldn't know which one to choose for a WIP. You'll enjoy the Nieuport. It's typical 70s Heller and very nice indeed. I hadn't built a Heller kit since I was a teenager, then took part in the Classic Heller GB and haven't stopped building them since. It's funny, but I really rated their kits when I was younger, but just seemed to forget that fact!

That's bordering on insanity! 🤣

Steve

Thanks again, Steve!

Looking back, as a teenager I built Heller's Spitfire Lf.XIVe and Dewoitine D.501/510, and thoroughly enjoyed them both. My LMS in those days (Kingston's in Taunton) had a very limited range of Heller kits.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your Storch in the RFIs :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looking back, as a teenager I built Heller's Spitfire Lf.XIVe and Dewoitine D.501/510, and thoroughly enjoyed them both. My LMS in those days (Kingston's in Taunton) had a very limited range of Heller kits.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your Storch in the RFIs :)

I think we're hijacking this thread! (Apologies!) The Spit XVIe was a favourite of mine back then, and I must have three or four in the stash ready to go. Me and my best mate at school were both keen modellers and practically lived in our favourite LMS. The owner enquired if we had tried a Heller kit before, and as we had never heard of them, he bagged our paper round money again. So I duly bought the Ar-196 and my mate bought the PZL P.23 and we were both hooked on Heller from then on. They just seemed streets ahead of our usual Airfix and Matchbox fare and the subjects were wonderfully quirky which suited us as we frequently tried to out do each other in the quirky subject department. This must have been around 1981/82. 

So when the Heller GB kicked off, it was like re-acquainting with an old friend. I decided to build them "old skool" right out the box and painted them a'la hairy stick as my 13 year old self would have done. Such a nostalgia kick. I ended up finishing 10 Heller kits for the GB and had a proper blast!

50945599018_604e838a71_b.jpg

So to keep the thread on topic, the Heller Storch is still a great build and I'll make sure I put in a RFI once it's done. Incidentally, Peewit do a canopy mask set for the Heller Storch which saves a lot of time (and swearing!)

Steve

• Like 8

Hello

I agree with you, Giampiero Piva. I have both Academy and Heller kits, and I built the latter decades ago. Fabric on Heller kit looks slightly overdone, but is still far more convincing than Academy's rendition, on which fabric looks totally artificial. Also, congratulations on your WIP Storch build. Cheers

Jure

• Like 3

I would also agree that Heller/Smer/AZ Storch is more accurate than Academy, please see below. 

On 1/29/2020 at 9:47 AM, warhawk said:

There are several shape issues with the Academy, none of which are present on the Heller kit - i.e. a rather pronounced wing dihedral (original didn't have one at all!), over-sized/oversimplified smaller parts, etc.

Most OOB Academy Storks I have seen built have a rather toy-like appearance to them.

Clear parts are not great on either kit, but a bit closer to reality on the Heller/Smer/AZ.

Heller kit can be turned into a real head-turner by some minor upgrades:

• Some improvement in the interior (not much needed because of the thick clear parts)
  • Scribing-in those few panel lines the actual aircraft had
  • Correcting the shape of the cowling intake to oval
  • Refining the main struts a bit and replacing the smaller ones

Here's a great build by Rato Marczak, highlighting what could be done with the old Heller

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I think we're hijacking this thread! (Apologies!) The Spit XVIe was a favourite of mine back then, and I must have three or four in the stash ready to go. Me and my best mate at school were both keen modellers and practically lived in our favourite LMS. The owner enquired if we had tried a Heller kit before, and as we had never heard of them, he bagged our paper round money again. So I duly bought the Ar-196 and my mate bought the PZL P.23 and we were both hooked on Heller from then on. They just seemed streets ahead of our usual Airfix and Matchbox fare and the subjects were wonderfully quirky which suited us as we frequently tried to out do each other in the quirky subject department. This must have been around 1981/82. 

So when the Heller GB kicked off, it was like re-acquainting with an old friend. I decided to build them "old skool" right out the box and painted them a'la hairy stick as my 13 year old self would have done. Such a nostalgia kick. I ended up finishing 10 Heller kits for the GB and had a proper blast!

50945599018_604e838a71_b.jpg

So to keep the thread on topic, the Heller Storch is still a great build and I'll make sure I put in a RFI once it's done. Incidentally, Peewit do a canopy mask set for the Heller Storch which saves a lot of time (and swearing!)

Steve

Hi Steve,

that's a fantastic collection, all beautifully put together and finished, if I may say so! I love the D.501 in the foreground (I chose the D.510 years ago because it had the "moteur-cannon"!). I really wanted the He.112 in Romanian colours, but as I mentioned, my LMS when I was a lad had very few Heller kits, and sadly it wasn't one of them. May I ask what KF+CG is? Not a type I'm familiar with!

As I said, all absolutely beautiful models - I'm quite tempted to look for some more, especially that He.112 that eluded me all those years ago :)

Cheers,

Mark