Grumman Duck J2F-5 (Merit 1/48)

All good things come to an end, which is a shame! But on the other hand, even nightmares do end in the morning, and sometimes it's a good ending! As is here!

So, as you might guess this wasn't the easiest build, which in this case isn't the kit's fault - in fact it is a rather easy one - or bad instructions, poor material, rusted brass, whatever there may be a reason, but solely the builders own. Maybe it was clumsiness, to many late night sessions, to less time or concentration, whatever; this build didn't go as I wanted.

For those interested, it's here:

In brief; it's the base model, Eduards PE set, with Montex masks and a  Gaspatch Browning. Apart from lost parts galore (ever saved a part from the cat litter box?), I really could have bee a tad more clever in opening the canopy. But, I must say; I'm happy with the result, though it's many flaws, some missing parts, and you might have guessed, historical precision wasn't top of my list.

So, here's the pictures:

41510640kq.jpg

41510641xb.jpg

41510642fa.jpg

41510644jy.jpg

41510645ja.jpg

41510646pj.jpg

41510647vq.jpg

41510652ni.jpg

41510654an.jpg

41510656da.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Fabulous Duck – detailing and finish like a museum model!

It's striking to see how similar its basic layout is to its grandpa, the Loening OA-1 (Observation, Amphibian)/OL from 1923:

Loening_OA-1A_USAF.jpg

It's not surprising, since Leroy Grumman had worked for Loening, and his new Grumman Company was largely funded by Grover C. Loening.

A truly splendid model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 7

It’s a masterpiece. The Gaspatch gun really adds great realism. My only reservation concerns the part removed from your cat’s facility. Did the cat approve of this taking? 

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

...My only reservation concerns the part removed from your car’s facility. Did the cat approve of this taking? 

I paid my dues on that, believe me... 😄

• Haha 1

Not the most attractive of aircraft, but you've made a stunning build of it, despite the trials and tribulations, and.........I NEED one .....!!

And I NEED someone to kit the Loening !!

Rog

Edited by roginoz
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, roginoz said:

Not the most attractive of aircraft, but you've made a stunning build of it, despite the trials and tribulations, and.........I NEED one .....!!

Go for it! It's fun, if you stay away from cat issues and avoid late night sessions (like: "I'll just attach this one more part - Oh, nooooooooo")

And yes, it's ugly as a blobfish. But Mr. Hugault (see the first post of the WIP) did a lot to attract me to this. 😉

52 minutes ago, roginoz said:

And I NEED someone to kit the Loening !!

Rog

Let's hope on one of these Resin-Wizards...

• Like 1

Beautiful work Chief, the detail painting is amazingly well done as is the ore shading and overall finish. 

Was wondering if you managed to punch some discs for your Pup pulleys. If not drop me a line and I'll sort some out for you.

Richie

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RichieW said:

Beautiful work Chief, the detail painting is amazingly well done as is the ore shading and overall finish. 

Well many thanks.  A longer build sometimes has the advantage, that it includes a certain amount of a quite well established weathering method, called dust'n'time! 😄 

19 hours ago, RichieW said:

Was wondering if you managed to punch some discs for your Pup pulleys. If not drop me a line and I'll sort some out for you.

Richie

In fact I got me some punches, but haven't tested it yet. A few test punches look rather promising.

It's one of the next steps i plan, but have some issues in closing the body halves, after having reanimated the entire build. 

Weekend, hopefully! 😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pheonix said:

I do not really know what you are complaining about: that looks like a very good model with some very fine details. The finish is excellent.

P

Many thanks, sir! 🙂

Well, to be honest I didn't wan't to spell it out directly, but *hint * the canopy cuff sits rather odd, one strut is missing, the canopy itself is quite dull,...

I could go for ages, as I guess could do anyone with his one kit after having spent some time building it.

I'm happy with it, but it has it's flaws (which, though, I can live happily with). 😉

6 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

I'm happy with it, but it has it's flaws (which, though, I can live happily with).

I'm sure everybody can identify with that!

• Thanks 1