Jagdpanther "314", Normandy, July 1944

Afternoon all,

After several months of on and off work, my first dio in quite a while is done - it's been an interesting journey so far trying a lot of new techniques building the tank, dio and even the wood base. But first, here are the two pictures which inspired me to build this:

TSD8WrD.jpgNZFP1Cn.jpg

And my interpretation:

etRBy80.jpg

I think I've matched the vague idea I had in my head for how this would turned out, and although there are bits I think don't work and need improvement, I'll save those for another project.

zA2cMdy.jpg

SNqsUoX.jpg

e1aeYUg.jpg

With all the interior elements added and weathered, the building looks less like an empty shell and more like a house whose occupants have had to flea urgently!

jIkXet4.jpg

TOgH5c3.jpg

sEBS0Yv.jpg

The chap in the shirt has knocked over his coffee much to his colleagues amusement....

ob39rJK.jpgKvpLQdj.jpg

Meanwhile, their very bored friend has been distracted by something else, scurrying around near them. And yes, I just noticed the chap leaning on the table has not settled down properly - I've fixed this now!

ULuHKIn.jpg

The water is made from a couple of Woodland Scenics products and Tamiya X-22 to improve the gloss finish

scnuHQy.jpg

The bird is from Mantis Miniatures

5D3ZGcb.jpg

teJs6So.jpg

yApvWbW.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 64
  • Thanks 3

Absolutely superb modelling, it all looks one of a piece with nothing looking out of place! Love all the details, the buildings look great and I really like the weathering. Oh, and the Jagdpanther and its crew aren't half bad either! 

Really good job, really enjoyed your very informative build thread too! 

Keith

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, karly Boy said:

Fantastic looking diorama, really enjoyed how it all came together and something to be proud off

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

A marvelous piece of work, I can look at that for ages and see loads of new details. Top craftsmanship all round.👏

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Absolutely superb modelling, it all looks one of a piece with nothing looking out of place! Love all the details, the buildings look great and I really like the weathering. Oh, and the Jagdpanther and its crew aren't half bad either! 

Really good job, really enjoyed your very informative build thread too! 

Keith

Thanks gents, much appreciated! I'm very happy with how it turned out, and though there are parts I'd like to improve and some more details I would've liked to try, I could feel my motivation waning so I think it's time to move on and try something else. Glad you all liked the WIP thread and the final build & thanks for following and commenting!

• Like 2

It's really hard to objective with this one!! The tarp in the article is cool, like how you hung the pictures/mirror off centre, very realistic. The walnut base look fantastic, the finish on it is lovely. Again you could look at this for ages. Well done. Did you leave the jerasic park ref in the attic?

Edited by Muchmirth
Comment added.
  • Thanks 1

One of those rare dioramas you could spend hours looking at and still not see all of the lifelike details which the builder has secreted in every corner.  With the figures you have created a really human back story which brings the whole scene to life in the way that an equally well finished figure simply looking and pointing which most manufacturers provide could not.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

It's really hard to objective with this one!! The tarp in the article is cool, like how you hung the pictures/mirror off centre, very realistic. The walnut base look fantastic, the finish on it is lovely. Again you could look at this for ages. Well done. Did you leave the jerasic park ref in the attic?

Cheers mate! Yes I did leave the Jurassic Park sign in the attic - no real reason for it other than I saw the ETA Diorama signs and thought it would be a funny item that someone would only see if they looked closely. Plus I also really like Jurassic Park :D 

10 hours ago, Richard E said:

One of those rare dioramas you could spend hours looking at and still not see all of the lifelike details which the builder has secreted in every corner.  With the figures you have created a really human back story which brings the whole scene to life in the way that an equally well finished figure simply looking and pointing which most manufacturers provide could not.

Thanks Richard! The figure composition was something I played around with for a while because, as you said I really wanted to avoid the look of several figures standing around and pointing. Glad you like it, and thanks for the high praise!

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

You've done a cracking job there. Lots to look at. Great work.

John.

Thank you John, much appreciated

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, theaa2000 said:

Cheers mate! Yes I did leave the Jurassic Park sign in the attic - no real reason for it other than I saw the ETA Diorama signs and thought it would be a funny item that someone would only see if they looked closely. Plus I also really like Jurassic Park

I think Steven Zagola produced a set of 1/35 scale interior data plates for German armour which displayed suitably humourous captions

That is a superb diorama, the attention to detail is everywhere from the moss between the roof slates to the burst water pipe.  As others have said, you could look at it for ages and keep seeing new details.  Absolutely  brilliant. :clap:  ( Just had a quick look at your Prowler build, thanks for the heads up on it's problems, it will just have to stay in the stash a bit longer. :like: )

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

I think Steven Zagola produced a set of 1/35 scale interior data plates for German armour which displayed suitably humourous captions

Huh, that surprised me a little since I'd only ever seen his name associated with serious military history books. It's a great idea though, and very funny for anyone who does read the placards.

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

That is a superb diorama, the attention to detail is everywhere from the moss between the roof slates to the burst water pipe.  As others have said, you could look at it for ages and keep seeing new details.  Absolutely  brilliant. :clap:  ( Just had a quick look at your Prowler build, thanks for the heads up on it's problems, it will just have to stay in the stash a bit longer. :like: )

Cheers Bob! I'm glad you (and others) appreciate all the details since they're definitely the bits that take the longest! Ah yes..... Kinetic's Prowler 😒 While I'm glad to have a "modern" kit of a really cool aircraft, it was quite disappointing as you've seen. 

41 minutes ago, Homer said:

Congratulations on a fine piece of work, looks fantastic. 

Thanks Homer!

• Like 1

The JP on it's own is spectacular. Displayed in the diorama it comes to life. The attention to even the smallest details has produced a terrific result demonstrating tremendous skill and planning. :like:

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2021 at 3:29 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Excellent work - great 'tiered' display as well - the cutout on the surround with the water pipe really helps to draw you into the dio - fab :) 

TT

Thanks TT - I foolishly assembled the base then cut out that section which made it much harder to get the saws, chisels and dremel in to work, so I'm glad it's well received! :D 

On 6/29/2021 at 7:18 AM, echen said:

The JP on it's own is spectacular. Displayed in the diorama it comes to life. The attention to even the smallest details has produced a terrific result demonstrating tremendous skill and planning. :like:

Thank you echen!

2 hours ago, nimrod484 said:

Great job. I’m sure you spent many hours on this and it turned out to be a fine diorama. Is the building scratch built?

Thanks nimrod484 - yes, both buildings and the base are completely scratch built - there is a WIP thread in my profile (or you can find it in the WIP dioramas forum) where you can see it all.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 7:51 PM, Ozzy said:

Fantastic build 

Thanks Ozzy

On 7/2/2021 at 11:37 PM, stevehnz said:

That is brilliant, such a lot going on there, You've a great imagination & eye for detail. :)

Steve.

Thank you Steve, that's very kind :) This build was definitely a battle between my imagination and my skills :D 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is my first foray into the dioramas section, and this is just stunning. Now I'm going to scurry back the relative safety of the aeroplanes bit.

PS can I ask what that yellow thing is hiding in the attic?

Edited by TonyOD
  • Thanks 1