Matchbox 1/76, Morris C.8 Mk II, 17pdr Gun, Willy's Jeep set

well,  after the decals, some W&N Matt varnish, and then added dust.  Mix of pastel chalks in earth colours,  I had been using a coarse emery board for sanding them, which made coarse dust, so I tried a fine sanding pad... 

scraped this into the palette, and added lighter fuel,  brush on.  Problem is that when applied it's nearly clear, and only when the LF evaporates, you see what up. more LF will remove some of it.

Hmm, tried adding a little talc to W&N Matt varnish, which worked, made it dead flat, so did figures.

Added wheels, and then had various problems, not flat, and wonky, so more messing abut and pulling off some, and in the process takimg off the front axle from the C.8

Remembered to add the front light....

And, noticing I had the rear axle on the wrong way round on the jeep.... I was able to ping it off, along with the springs, which is why the wheels were in the wrong place,  and reverse, the transmission is now the wrong way round, but unless you flip it over, it's basically invisible.   Had to touch up the jeep tyres as well, but they now sit flat. 

painted steering wheels, after looking images up, seemed to be main body colour.  Added figures, added steering wheels, I needed to glue the C.8 driver, the jeep driver is held by the wheel.   Added spare wheels, and reattached jeep jerry can.    

And, this is where I'm up too.  Shot under the desk light with  bit of paper,    Not the best shot,  but you can see the 'dust' ,  next armour will have to be with wet mud. 

51330915776_b6cb307938_b.jpg50620980 by losethekibble, on Flickr

The jeep canvas is done, just not in the photo,   the C.8 tarpaulin, I wasn't happy with the sides after several goes, so I scrubbed off the sides with IPA, and will re-do later,  but that's I think the only thing left to do,  I don't think it's worth adding the rifles, Bren and ammo boxes inside the C.8, and they may prove useful elsewhere.

I have still have the remains of the Airfix Forward Command post,  the vac base got a bit crushed, but was able to lick up a replacement base cheap, so that may get played with at some point, as I do like dioramas. 

I did pick up some more Matchbox kits as a result of this as well,  ones I didn't have years ago, the Char1b and Renault FT 17, the M-19 transporter and Monty's caravan,  and quite fancy the LRDG set too.   

I suspect the better tank kits would really benefit from adding a link and length track sprue, a couple of ones I did do 'back then' were briefly £5 for T-34  or £6 for the Chaffe, shipped on Amazon, but after debating, they gone back up the £8.   

These more advanced sets do have neat bases,  and in the case of this one, doing the base was less irritating than dealing with multiple tiny pieces and poor instructions, though the box art helped!   Ironically my lack of any real indepth interest in the subjects has helped,  so rather than going down the accuracy rabbit hole, I have concentrated on basics,  careful neat construction, getting the paint right,   and weathering experiments, which I'm reasonably satisfied with,  as opposed to worrying about messing up my 'serious' collection of 1/48th armour and AFV and figures,   while trying to find some other kits for a potential project,  it was...oh... I do have a  lot stashed.... only started a few  and have finished none.....

Still they don't go off and looking about the era of cheap kits seems to have stopped with the return to the indoor hobby,  and rocketing international freight prices, stashing while they could be got cheap may have been a good idea ;) 

So... better finish off the tarp sides and do some daylight photos.

thanks for reading

T

• Like 7

I like your attitude of ‘this isn’t a serious kit’. You are really getting the job done and as you say not going down too many rabbit holes. Looks like an enjoyable experience producing an excellent result 😊

• Thanks 1

Superb work Troy shows what fun these Matchbox kits can still be especially with the supplied bases,I'm waiting for the Char B/Renault

to arrive for the Frech fancy GB.

• Thanks 1

Not a RFI, more a test in sunlight, in particular of the disruptive camo on the C.8 tarp...  which has not been matted or weathered,  I looked at the @Mike Starmer article again,  

https://www.keymilitary.com/article/mighty-mouse

I'm not really sure about the 'mickey mouse ear' camo....  

Anyway, bright sunlight, and then close cropped to remove most of the street, 

51335926407_3571460a4b_b.jpg50620987 by losethekibble, on Flickr

51336652571_c3ea91623b_b.jpg50620988 by losethekibble, on Flickr

51336652506_df8a226838_b.jpg

50620990 by losethekibble, on Flickr

50620986 by losethekibble, on Flickr

51335926297_bf689145bb_b.jpg

I reasonably happy with the dust effect,  and don't know if I o through trying to make the tarp any better....  it's had a lot of messing about, not helped by not looking at pics either, as comp not next to desk....

Does the tarp need work?  

cheers

T

• Like 7

Looks alright to me Troy.

mouse-crop

The above on a Bedford QL is a slightly "less heavy" version, though I suspect it should have more black on the top of the canvas tilt to comply with the official specs. 

Pete

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Looks alright to me Troy.

Thank Pete, in the end I really couldn't face either slapping more paint on, as it was getting thick, or stripping it again.   It's drying off after some matt varnish and an oil wash,  more varnish and some pastel chalk and i'm done.

I can always redo it if it really bugs me.   

Meanwhile I've been hacking some 1/48th figures to get them to fit into something else, which has been useful for techniques and problems solving, but also a time consuming and at times, trying exercise, including losing an arm,  the models, not mine.... another pinged off today but was able to find that. 

cheers

T

6 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Troy, try painting 100 1/144 figures!!

Probably a lot easier than what I have been doing, mind you,  I still have most of the WW2  Airfix 1/76th figures I painted up, about 12 to 15 boxes of them,  so, doing 100 figures, while time consuming and eye straining, could have been done in the time my figures mods have taken.... 

as long as it goes OK,  I'll be posting them up soon.   Been good for practical problem solving! But I have had to wear glasses and an optivisor at times...   

Your  figures were very colourful though...   

cheers

T

finished weathering the tarp, and did some more photos.   Most of these have been cropped  a bit.  

51344502674_7dc87ec273_b.jpg50620996 by losethekibble, on Flickr

51343041782_b522621004_b.jpg50620994 by losethekibble, on Flickr

51344502834_fa601d96c4_b.jpg50620993 by losethekibble, on Flickr

51344502704_cd071fc510_b.jpg50621006 by losethekibble, on Flickr

51343982938_6978e03f44_b.jpg50621013 by losethekibble, on Flickr

51343982968_e8495a6a84_b.jpg50621010 crop by losethekibble, on Flickr

51343754336_ec100f429d_b.jpg50621007 by losethekibble, on Flickr

51343982738_f594c1d243_b.jpg50621001 by losethekibble, on Flickr

51343754156_04d6c64456_b.jpg50620997 by losethekibble, on Flickr

51344776720_f0227389c0_b.jpg50620995 by losethekibble, on Flickr

I have been 'led astray' by this and got some more of these larger Matchbox sets.    First kit completed this year, and has been a good test ground for doing some weathering, as I never used to weather my tanks.  

Thanks for reading and commenting.

cheers

T

• Like 9

Smashing result. I never got around to doing any Matchbox armour (the Fury was the single Matchbox kit I did), and this build has shown me what a treat I missed!

Very nice.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Troy. Wow! What a fantastic result all round. You've made the old kit look stunning! Love the presentation too. And thank you for all your descriptive explanations throughout. Very informative! :worthy:

Thank you very much for taking part in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1