Hunting Provost T1 - S&M Models 1/72

Was very sad to hear about the passing of Mel Bromley recently so this is a small tribute to Mel who ran S&M Models and gave us 72nd modellers a lot of pleasure producing kits like this, the Canberra B2 and the Sycamore. RIP Mel.

51274908290_83af2c9e5a_c.jpg

This was a lovely little kit to put together with the one criticism being the very spindly prop which had broken on the sprue. I replaced this with a reshaped prop from an Airfix Skyvan. Not all Provosts have the ribbing on the control surfaces portrayed on the kit which seems to be restricted to certain serial blocks - check your references!!

51274606879_ee4ac9451b_b.jpg

I decided I wanted to portray a machine in the silver and day-glo scheme with the CFS and finding pics that definitively showed the location of the code letters and the demarkation of the day-glo areas was quite difficult. There seemed to be a number of variations of day-glo around the tail area in particular. In the end this is a little bit of an informed guess - In know that XF892 carried the pattern shown and was coded "P-B" when in the earlier silver and yellow scheme and I know that many CFS Provosts retained the same codes when they switched to day-glo. 

51273131422_624f6b8a08_c.jpg

The model was given an all-over coat of white primer and the day-glo was a 50/50  mix of Humbrol acrylic Orange H18 and Fire Orange H209. The day-glo was then masked off and Citadel Chainmaill was used for the silver areas. Markings came from the spares box. 

51273879631_47a1bd945a_b.jpg

Hope you like. Pat

51274607214_60f4bfdabd_c.jpg

51274606914_7299080818_b.jpg

• Like 65
  • Thanks 2

Great build and a very appropriate tribute to Mel. I shall miss the chats we used to have at various shows around the country.

Your model is a fine example of the sort of kits produced by S&M that served the hobby so well. RIP Mel.

Thanks for sharing

Terry

• Like 1

That’s just lovely Pat and a nice tribute build to honour Mel, who also helped me with purchases of this Provost and the S&M Canberra. An excellent Dayglo finish that looks so right on this kit. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

Quite delightful Sir,quite delightful.

One has long harboured ideas of finding the Matchbox kit and doing a 6FTS machine from Ternhill,one can remember being

taken to one of their open days as a child(every RAF Station had an open day years ago)and seeing a 6 FTS Provost parked up

plus a Vampire T.11 from Shawbury amongst others.

One also vaguely remembers four yellow Folland Gnats displaying formation aerobatics and trailing smoke,

whatever became of them one wonders?🧒

• Like 1

A nice tribute to Mel Bromley. I'm fond of the Provost. It somehow just looks right, despite being a trainer. Just like the Chippie. 

The Irish Air Corps had Provosts and I have fond memories of seeing them overhead particularly watching one doing aerobatics over my house. My own private airshow. 

Very nice indeed. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Greetings all,

Sad news about Mel Bromley, he shall be greatly missed.

Is there any update on whether his kits will be continued? He did a great job! We at the International Resin Modellers Association were in talks with S&M Models about doing the Vickers-Armstrongs Type 618 Nene Viking, Vickers-Armstongs V.663 Tay Viscount, and Avro Tudor 8 all in 1/72. I know he did a wonderful job on the first two in 1/144. 

Here's to Mr. Bromley!

Zane

• Like 2

Had somehow missed the sad news about Mel's passing. He was a lovely chap and added some rare and esoteric kits to the modelling community. That Provost is a fitting tribute for which he would have been, and you (Pat) must be delighted.

Mark

• Like 1

@Pat C,

That is a very, very nice Provost, and a fitting tribute to Mel's passing, of which I was unaware. I have always thought the Provost was a handsome trainer- wish I had bought one of the S&M kits, but I do have a Matchbox kit gathering dust in my model mausoleum. That is a very attractive scheme you chose. Well done! 👍

Mike

• Like 2