Filling windows

Gloop - a mix of Tamiya thin cement (or similar) and sprue should work well. Essentially you are making a liquid polystyrene which will set just like the kit plastic, and can be worked the same way. Just adjust the sprue to glue ratio to get a consistency that works for you.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

Milliput has been my default window filler for 30 years and it's never let me down.

I usually use Superfine (white) but any variety will do. Mix up a suitable quantity from the two "sticks" making sure it is throughly mixed. Score the inside of the fuselage along the window line to provide a key. Roll the Milliput into a thin "sausage" and apply this to the inside of the windows pressing it firmly into place so that it just protrudes through the openings on the outside. Smooth the outside with a wet finger and set aside to dry. Once the Milliput is set (at least 8 hours) sand it lightly on the outside making sure you don't damage the fuselage cross section. You may have to touch up a few window corners but basically you're done.

If the kit comes with glazing strips it makes sense to economise on Milliput by gluing them in place (I use superglue rather than cement) and applying a thin "skim" coat of Milliput on the outside.

Remember that you will have to apply window decals after painting and I use a pin or a tiny twist drill to make guide marks. I usually mark the front and rear windows in each cabin and the emergency exits but it varies depending on prototype.

It's a pity you hadn't asked the question last week because I had just started a model and I could have illustrated my process with photos. However the fuselage is now securely glued together and I'm afraid I'm not taking it apart!

Dave G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckw said:

Gloop - a mix of Tamiya thin cement (or similar) and sprue should work well. Essentially you are making a liquid polystyrene which will set just like the kit plastic, and can be worked the same way. Just adjust the sprue to glue ratio to get a consistency that works for you.

Expect shrinking in a month or two

• Like 1

I tape over the fuselage windows from the outside making sure that the tape is firmly stuck down and then run a stream polyeurathane casting resin from the inside along the window apertures making sure to gentleman's parts out any air bubbles with a tooth pick.

Once it has hardened just remove the tape and it should be nice and smooth when you run your finger along the outside of window line.

Works for me :)

Hope that helps.

Ray.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I do the same as Ray (gentleman parts 😁).  I use 15 minute epoxy.   I sometimes have to fill a little on the outside and I use Bondo Glazing & Spot putty. 

Edited by buzz