Restoring a ‘Previously Loved’ Airfix 1/72 B-25 Mitchell

This afternoon, the job I had planned in the garden was put off by rain. That meant I had nothing to do, so I decided to put the decals on.

The Techmod decals are very good and went on with no problems whatsoever. Once dry, I gave the model a coat of Matt Varnish, although it will need a second coat.

This evening, I 3D printed the adapters for the axles and the main-wheels. The nose wheel was simply drilled through to match the diameter of the axle and The strut needed filing to allow the wheel to slide on. 
The propellers were fitted to the engines and spin freely. then the engines were finally fitted to the nacelles. 
I pinched the DF Loop from my Sunderland, filed the base flat and drilled a 1mm hole for styrene rod. A hole was drilled in the top of the fuselage and the DF Loop was fitted in position.

The top turret is just placed in.

The cockpit and nose canopies were unmasked as well.

GRMUuNP.jpg

FytUbR7.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 11

Excellent work adding those windows, she's looking really nice now. On top of that you'll have a very different Airfix Mitchell!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Well, that’s it for the B-25 - I’m calling it completed.

Tonight, I made the Perspex tail cone out of the aforementioned Mosquito Mk IV nose cone. It fitted better than I thought.

The smaller landing gear doors were added in the open position as the landing gear is down (obviously). Also the two aerial masts were added - made from thinned down 1mm styrene rod, and the astrodome was added - which was made from the head of a clear plastic drawing pin sanded to a shiny finish.

Here’s some photos taken outside in the sun this afternoon.

arJF7L4.jpg

HQETue7.jpg

Puy53KN.jpg
SgYPUPc.jpg

And a photo with the finishing touches added

Ly6Mm4X.jpg

Now what to do next???

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 6

Beautifully done, what a huge difference!

Having said that, it does look like the canopy is a little crooked, but not enough to detract from the overall finish.

Ian

10 hours ago, Maginot said:

Great result. The undercart looks sturdy. You must be very pleased.

Yes, I am very pleased with it. The Olive Drab and the weathered look on the wings and fuselage turned out a lot better than I was hoping for.

On 07/08/2021 at 19:05, Brandy said:

Beautifully done, what a huge difference!

Having said that, it does look like the canopy is a little crooked, but not enough to detract from the overall finish.

Ian

The crooked looking canopy looks straight when I look at it in the flesh, so it must be a quirk of the photo - or I need to go to Specsavers!

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 1