PB4Y-2 Privateer (Matchbox, 1980 vintage)

I absolutely love it Marcello

I have looked to get the Matchbox original myself but had found the prices ridiculous!

Back when I was a young teenager I built this exact kit and it brings back a lot of great memories to see yours today

The scheme is just superb and you have certainly done the kit justice (So glad the decals worked out!) 

Yes we can see the typical Matchbox flaws compared to the standard of modern kit engineering (mainly the bulky/heavy look of the clear parts and canopy) but nevertheless you have created beauty

Thanks for posting

Cheers   

• Thanks 1

That is impressive & enormously well done too. It is good to know it comes together so well OOB rather than having to throw a massive amount of aftermarket at them, thought plenty have showed that doesn't hurt either. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Winenut said:

I absolutely love it Marcello

I have looked to get the Matchbox original myself but had found the prices ridiculous!

Back when I was a young teenager I built this exact kit and it brings back a lot of great memories to see yours today

The scheme is just superb and you have certainly done the kit justice (So glad the decals worked out!) 

Yes we can see the typical Matchbox flaws compared to the standard of modern kit engineering (mainly the bulky/heavy look of the clear parts and canopy) but nevertheless you have created beauty

Thanks for posting

Cheers   

This was a bit of a surprise to me because my childhood memories were that Matchbox kits were the best in terms of fitting. Well I am glad I didn’t try this one then…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, this is beautiful! A subject not often modelled, and the antique Matchbox kit makes it doubly valuable. Very impressive build.

• Thanks 1

Very well done, seamless finish and beautifully presented.

I would like to know where you live if you can get eight weeks of sunlight, this is not possible here in the UK 😂

Alan

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Alan P said:

I would like to know where you live if you can get eight weeks of sunlight, this is not possible here in the UK 😂

I live in Melbourne, Australia. But in all fairness other Australians also lampoon us for the bad weather.

From what I understand any daylight from a window can do the trick (but of course, the sunnier, the better)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've heard that about Melbourne but I suspect a bad winter in Melbourne is probably a good summer in this part of the world. 

Anyway that's a beaut of a job on the Privateeer. 

Edited by noelh
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marcello Rosa said:

I live in Melbourne, Australia. But in all fairness other Australians also lampoon us for the bad weather.

From what I understand any daylight from a window can do the trick (but of course, the sunnier, the better)

Ha ha yes we do lampoon Melbourne's weather.....if you want the really good stuff it's in Adelaide!

Plus some of the countries best wine..... :winkgrin:

Cheers

• Like 4

On 27/06/2021 at 13:25, Winenut said:

(So glad the decals worked out!) 

Well, if you ver find one, and the decals are busted, let me know. I have taken the precautionary step of scanning the decal sheet at ultra high resolution before trying to apply them. The file is big, but if everything fails, you can print a new set

• Like 1

This is a beauty, and I can see you totally re-scribed all the panel lines, which makes a significant difference and must've been extremely time consuming.  I can't tell whether you corrected the underside outboard engine nacelle rear areas, which should come to a nice prow-like point, rather than an open half-circle shape.  I didn't correct that on my build.  

• Thanks 1

Hello

No, I didn't change that. I was actually a bit confused about it since the photos I've found indicated that there have been different engines and different fitted to the Privateer, and they have different outboard nacelle ends. For example the one in the Pima museum has the nacelle like you described. In the end I used this diagram as my reference, which indicates that for at least some Privateers the outboard nacelle was lie you described. I also used is as my reference for panel lines.spacer.png

Edited by Marcello Rosa
fixed spell errors
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1