Panzer IV Ausf.D

Hi all

This is my attempt at the 'older' Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf.D, out of the box, using the kit decals for the late variant in the N. Afrika scheme.  Painted with mostly Vallejo and Citadel colours with some Humbrol powders.  Not sure how well the pics show up the weathering, but it's definitely there.. ;) 

This is my first tracked AFV in modern times - and it probably shows :)  

kDC0cFH.jpg

S7wsL1D.jpg

4jJcA85.jpg

hzAky51.jpg

nR0K7KQ.jpg

OjBZRQ8.jpg

rZEQ0bU.jpg

1zA4RUt.jpg

Gjhz46T.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Great work! How do you like Tamiya kit?

I love those Panzer IV Ds from the Panzer Regiment 5. Did '812' some time ago, but based on the Dragon's Pz IV D kit. I was thinking between '813' you built, and '812', but settled with '812' at the end.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Great work! How do you like Tamiya kit?

I love those Panzer IV Ds from the Panzer Regiment 5. Did '812' some time ago, but based on the Dragon's Pz IV D kit. I was thinking between '813' you built, and '812', but settled with '812' at the end.

Cheers,

Nenad

Hi Nenad - thanks for the kind words :) 

Overall, I think the Tamiya kit is good and well-engineered, but it is a relic from the days when the kits were motorized, so there are some holes in the hull which need filling, but nothing complicated. The hatches have good inside detail, so can be posed open, but there is no real detail inside the vehicle.  I prefer to close everything up anyway.  The instructions are also a little vague in places (especially in terms of where to place ancillaries, etc), but again, this is not really a problem and allows for some 'free choice'.  

Great work, I really like seeing OOB builds, especially for those like me that are not prepared to spend twice the price of the kit on after-market (actually, this being such a cheap kit it would be more like 4x).

Not a criticism of the work at all, but it reminded me that I have often wondered how were markings applied in real life.  How much was done in the factory and how much by the unit that received them.  Assuming much was done by the unit (because the factory would not know where it was going to end up) how would they have applied them, spray or brush, stencils or hand-drawn.

The markings like the vehicle number (813 in this case) are always presented precisely even with expensive kits and after market decals, but in reality were they hand-painted with a brush.  This archive picture suggests that they were, at least on some occasions.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-297-1725-11,_Im_Westen,_Panzer_IV.jpg

Just a thought, and a general one, not aimed at this work.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nheather said:

The markings like the vehicle number (813 in this case) are always presented precisely even with expensive kits and after market details, but in reality were they hand-painted with a brush.  This archive picture suggests that they were, at least on some occasions.

Thanks Nigel :) 

I don't really know enough detail to comment authoritatively, but I suspect you're right.  I would guess there was a considerable amount of brush painting going on, although perhaps with stencils, assuming major markings were applied at depot/maintenance unit level, rather than in the field.  I do recall seeing some pics of recently recovered Bf109 wing sections (recovered from a lake) where the upper wing crosses had clearly been stencilled on by brush, rather than spray gun - the brush marks were still visible in what was left of the paint..