Headcorn Battle of Britain Air Show 25 June 2021 (second batch added 27/06/21)

Hello all

I took my Red Arrows-loving Mother to Headcorn yesterday and splashed out on the Spitfire Enclosure.

Imagine our disappointment when Red 10 announced on the PA that after unsuccessfully looking for a hole in the weather, Red One reluctantly cancelled the display and the Team would return to Farnborough after burning off fuel.

Notwithstanding that disappointment (and the cancellation of the BBMF display), we enjoyed some fantastic flying and a couple of "firsts" for me - the stunningly beautiful "Silver Spitfire" and the B-17 and Dakota formation.

Here are a few of my favourite images and I will post more if you're interested.

Arrivals:

DSC_8001.jpg

DSC_8009.jpg

DSC_8010.jpg

DSC_8022.jpg

DSC_8030.jpg

DSC_8040.jpg

DSC_8043.jpg

"Give me a break" (in the cloud....)

DSC_8066.jpg

"Biplane Balbo"

DSC_8075.jpg

More arrivals:

DSC_8118.jpg

DSC_8128.jpg

DSC_8184.jpg

Bucker Jungmann

DSC_8199.jpg

Aero Legends C-47s (I love the vortices!)

DSC_8201.jpg

DSC_8211.jpg

B-17 "Sally B" and Aero Legends C-47sDSC_8222.jpg

Chief Pilot "Parky" looking towards "Sally B"

DSC_8282.jpg

DSC_8321.jpg

Aero Legends Formation

DSC_8361.jpg

"Parky" shutting down following the Aero Legends Formation

DSC_8415.jpg

Charlie Brown and "Parky"

DSC_8443.jpg

"The Starlings"

DSC_8472.jpg

The signed door

DSC_8483.jpg

DSC_8537.jpg

DSC_8544.jpg

DSC_8546.jpg

Duxford-based Buchon

DSC_8562.jpg

Buchon / Spitfire tail-chase

DSC_8583.jpg

I couldn't resist another image of this stunning aeroplane!

DSC_8678.jpg

The closing Balbo

DSC_8724.jpg

DSC_8730.jpg

DSC_8732.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Lovely stuff, once again the veterans upstaging the 'prima donnas' (Red Arrows)!!!

Wonder who has the unenviable task of polishing that Spitfire?!

Great shots, thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

My wife and I were there on Friday as well and we both thought it was a wonderful event - even though the weather was dodgy. I was thrilled to see Sally B arrive and link up with the two C-47s and her individual display was excellent. Definitely got a soft spot for her. Seeing nine Spitfires and a Hurricane in the air at the same time was a highlight as well - worthy of a Duxford display.

Love your pictures - especially 'Parky' and Charlie Brown. A few more please.

thanks for the post

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This may be of interest - the 'Duxford Diary' forum has photos of the Duxford based planes leaving for (or arriving back from) Headcorn. Scroll down for the post from Friday 25th.

Mark

https://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=86801&sid=767d86057a193248c90c3ce5200acd7e&start=100

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thanks for posting!  having a fabulous weekend so far, the Aero Legends organisation has been superb. Yesterday was mostly hot and sunny, although the forecast for the Reds close-of-show display today is probably just as bad as Friday's was. Wouldn't that be ironic if they failed to display at all at one of the few shows still taking place? (their scheduled appearance on Saturday at Cleethorpes was cancelled). Back to Headcorn - the ten Spits scrambling +Hurricane +Buchon finale was fantastic - as good as anything I've seen at Dx. Shame you missed the BBMF display - CO Sqn Leader Mike 'disco' Discombe stole the show in the Mk. XVI. Another highlight was meeting Flight Lieutenant Colin Bell DFC, 100 years old this year (50 Mossie sorties over Germany..).  Here's Mike Discombe in TE 311

spacer.png

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Parabat said:

Lovely stuff, once again the veterans upstaging the 'prima donnas' (Red Arrows)!!!

Wonder who has the unenviable task of polishing that Spitfire?!

Great shots, thanks for sharing. 

Thanks very much, Parabat. The silver Spit was gorgeous and I'm pleased that I don't have to polish it!

22 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Fabulous pictures of some fabulous Aircraft. If only your pictures had a soundtrack! Thank you for posting.

Thanks very much, Pete. I thought about doing some video to capture the wonderful soundtrack!

22 hours ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

My wife and I were there on Friday as well and we both thought it was a wonderful event - even though the weather was dodgy. I was thrilled to see Sally B arrive and link up with the two C-47s and her individual display was excellent. Definitely got a soft spot for her. Seeing nine Spitfires and a Hurricane in the air at the same time was a highlight as well - worthy of a Duxford display.

Love your pictures - especially 'Parky' and Charlie Brown. A few more please.

thanks for the post

Mark

Hi Mark. Thanks for the kind words (and the UKAR link.) Today's show as cancelled due to the inclement weather, so I guess we were lucky! I have posted some more shots below.

11 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS  photos as always. 

Thank you  for sharing them Alpha Delta 210.

:wow:

:wub:

:heart:

:worthy:

Thanks very much, Houston. Your enthusiasm is a real motivator!

5 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

thanks for posting!  having a fabulous weekend so far, the Aero Legends organisation has been superb. Yesterday was mostly hot and sunny, although the forecast for the Reds close-of-show display today is probably just as bad as Friday's was. Wouldn't that be ironic if they failed to display at all at one of the few shows still taking place? (their scheduled appearance on Saturday at Cleethorpes was cancelled). Back to Headcorn - the ten Spits scrambling +Hurricane +Buchon finale was fantastic - as good as anything I've seen at Dx. Shame you missed the BBMF display - CO Sqn Leader Mike 'disco' Discombe stole the show in the Mk. XVI. Another highlight was meeting Flight Lieutenant Colin Bell DFC, 100 years old this year (50 Mossie sorties over Germany..).  Here's Mike Discombe in TE 311

Thanks very much, I'm pleased you enjoyed them. A lovely event that reminds me of Old Warden due to the generally relaxed atmosphere. The Reds must be pretty fed-up after a cancelled weekend!

4 hours ago, Herrick said:

Great photos, Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Herrick. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them.

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Great images, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words, nimrod54.

2 hours ago, Latinbear said:

A very nice set of images indeed! Looks like it was a very good event. Love the shots with the pilots in the foreground and the aircraft overhead. 

Thanks very much, Latinbear. I guess that one of the benefits of the Spitfire Enclosure was the proximity of some of the Spitfires, which allowed me to capture the "people" shots that I'm always after!

• Like 2

• Alpha Delta 210 changed the title to Headcorn Battle of Britain Air Show 25 June 2021 (second batch added 27/06/21)
3 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

..wow, just read that there was NO flying at Headcorn at all today (weather). We/you were lucky! Some lovely shots there again

Thanks again for the kind words.

Yes, I read on another forum that there was no flying today which made Mum and me very grateful for what we saw on Friday (despite the cancellations.)

Another excellent day out Leigh - you are getting around!  Sorry to hear of the weather cancellations and no doubt Mum would have been disappointed with no Red Arrows, but you've certainly made the best of what was about, Superb!

Mark

• Thanks 1