Nieuport 28, Revell 1/72 (99p)

AdrianMF

I bought this bagged and slightly started (fuselage stuck together and painted sand inside):

B82-CAB9-C-40-BE-4-E93-BB49-377-F2-E6923

Fill injector pin marks, detail the seat, add an instrument panel:

4-DB065-F4-092-E-4312-B1-BE-293-E8-D703-

Stick the main components together:

BA7-B5-A8-A-9-D62-498-E-8-C49-58-C5-DA31

The seat didn’t want to go in stuck to the wing , so it was quite interesting getting it in place afterwards with a big blob of CA and some spray accelerator!

The plastic in this kit is quite brittle so it’s easy to break things while cleaning up.

I’m hoping for basic EZLine rigging and a fast finish on this one. Leaning toward 27th Squadron rather than hat-in-the-ring because it has more guns!

• Like 6

And top wing on:

9-AB05-D96-DEE4-452-A-8-DFE-ADBA394-D83-

I’m quite pleased with the alignment - I glued the centre section first then did each side separately, relying on the flexibility of the wing to pop the struts in their holes after adding a drop of CA. Enough for today, I think. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, thorfinn said:

trim little classic kit

It fits together really nicely. I hadn’t intended to start another kit since I have a couple of builds I should be finishing off, but I came across it yesterday lunchtime and just happened to wonder how good the wing and tailplane fit might be…

I have pictures on my laptop of a real one in a museum in Denver, but it’s too late for references now! :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

colour scheme

Thanks Steve! Apparently the cowling should be more rounded/tapered, so I’m glad I skipped the scheme with zigzags on the cowling. Six colour camouflage - in the days of enamel, I would leave a day between each coat and each colour, so a Blitzbuild would be right out.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

The roundels are a bit off - the red border is thicker on one side than the other. I’ve cut a plastic card disk and I’m trimming round that with the roundel slightly offset to get the red more aligned. The less successful ones will end up under the wing:

B4-BD14-F7-DC90-41-B8-91-EA-79-D02-A27-C

I will paint the back half of the fin and rudder red and then trim out just the blue stripe from the decal. That should be an easier job than trying to get the tail decal to cover the whole thing. I’m going to give the white another coat mixed with cream to blend with the yellowed decals too.

• Like 3

Hi Adrian. Wow!! Only started on Saturday and finished by Monday and what an absolutely superb result. Awesome modelling all round! Great choice for thus GB too! :worthy:

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Marklo said:

most of this GBs builds are lightening quick

I think there are some very decent models around for under a tenner, and it's great to get back to Saturday-morning-modelling-mode, with some new features like no fewer glue smears, proper painting and rigging! On both the Nieuport and the Letov, I deliberately avoided finding out where the control horns and cables for the rudder and elevators were so I wasn't tempted to add them! I'm cooling on the idea of the Polikarpov R5 (£3.50) because I made the mistake of comparing it to plans and know there's some work to do!

It's a great excuse to just dive in there and do something and have fun doing it.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

On 6/29/2021 at 8:03 PM, AdrianMF said:

I think there are some very decent models around for under a tenner, and it's great to get back to Saturday-morning-modelling-mode, with some new features like no fewer glue smears, proper painting and rigging!

I agree. Actually I’m finding that the 1/144th Jets I’m doing tick that box extremely well.