Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner, Revell 1:144

Here is the Revell Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner, a pretty simple kit that went together with no issues.  

The complicated parts are around the engines, which have moving fans.

Each fan has two parts of the fan discs, which are quite difficult to remove from the sprue because the hubs are very small and delicate.

The attachment to the sprue tree is on the leading edge of some of the fan blades, again, which is difficult to remove cleanly.

Some of the fan blades came off the hubs in the process of removing them from the sprue.

It has a nice set of decals - not too many of them!  I really like the clean white livery of this kit.

I have the 787-9 from Zvezda, which will be interesting to compare.

IMG_4502

IMG_4503

IMG_4504

IMG_4505

IMG_4506

IMG_4507

IMG_4508

• Like 32

Another very nice build from your production line Neil.👍

You will find many similarities to the kits.

Both,the -8 and -9 are from Zvezda.

Revell just reissued the -8 with new decals.

The -8 kit has some inaccuracies around the wingbox,I dont know though,if Zvezda adressed this matter on their 787-9 kit

Alex

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Looks great 👍

Thanks for the heads up on the engine fans.

I'm not sure if there's any easy way to cut off the fan discs - I used a knife and clippers, and both seemed to caused the fan blades to break off the hub.

Even when I was really careful!

20 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Another very nice build from your production line Neil.👍

You will find many similarities to the kits.

Both,the -8 and -9 are from Zvezda.

Revell just reissued the -8 with new decals.

The -8 kit has some inaccuracies around the wingbox,I dont know though,if Zvezda adressed this matter on their 787-9 kit

Alex

The decal sheet for the -9 looks pretty sparse.  It looks like the paint job will be a bit out of my ability!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Great build! I am close to finishing this same model - you did a better job of the blue fuselage stripe than I did! 

Did you cut it into sections or apply it in one go?

I was going to try to apply it as one piece, but I cut it into three, along the scissor marks.

It took several attempts to reposition it into a smooth flowing curve, I was worried about snapping it, then dislodging the stripe on the other side...

It was a big relief when it was done!

15 hours ago, neilg said:

I'm not sure if there's any easy way to cut off the fan discs - I used a knife and clippers, and both seemed to caused the fan blades to break off the hub.

Even when I was really careful!

Duly noted. I will try a combination of knife, cutters and saw and see how that goes.

15 hours ago, neilg said:

The decal sheet for the -9 looks pretty sparse.  It looks like the paint job will be a bit out of my ability!

Nice to see it finished Neil, a lovely clean scheme and finish.

If you are worried about the scheme perhaps an aftermarket sheet, some nice schemes out there... Singapore Airlines, QANTAS, BA, KLM, AA .....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice to see it finished Neil, a lovely clean scheme and finish.

If you are worried about the scheme perhaps an aftermarket sheet, some nice schemes out there... Singapore Airlines, QANTAS, BA, KLM, AA .....

Here's the decal sheet for the -9:

IMG_4517

I was expecting something like the Revell 777-300ER decal sheet, which has all of the shading and stripes as decals:

https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/Boeing-777-300ER-15097507.html#gallery_start

I'm not sure there are any -9 liveries that stand out for me - maybe British Airways, but I have quite a few already in their colours...

3 hours ago, neilg said:

Here's the decal sheet for the -9:

IMG_4517

I was expecting something like the Revell 777-300ER decal sheet, which has all of the shading and stripes as decals:

https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/Boeing-777-300ER-15097507.html#gallery_start

I'm not sure there are any -9 liveries that stand out for me - maybe British Airways, but I have quite a few already in their colours...

Virgin Atlantic, Jordanian, Norwegian perhaps ;) 

Sure is attractive, nice work. Just need a slight trim on the stripe just behind the vertical fin. That's a lot of stripe to put on. Didn't know the fans could spin.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Sure is attractive, nice work. Just need a slight trim on the stripe just behind the vertical fin. That's a lot of stripe to put on. Didn't know the fans could spin.

The fans don't spin that well - the fit between the tips of the fans and the fan casing is very tight, plus axle and stopper is a very tight fit.

It's a bit gimmicky but it's a nice touch being able to see through the engines.

6 hours ago, neilg said:

The fans don't spin that well - the fit between the tips of the fans and the fan casing is very tight, plus axle and stopper is a very tight fit.

It's a bit gimmicky but it's a nice touch being able to see through the engines.

I guess it would take some machining to make them spin. I have a PE set for one bit don't think I needed it for the engines.

20 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I guess it would take some machining to make them spin. I have a PE set for one bit don't think I needed it for the engines.

The Revell A350 engines are a similar design, but the fan turns freely in that kit just with a gentle blow into the engine:

• Like 1