Differences between Airfix 2000 and 2011 shuttle?

Hi all,

I'm looking at Airfix shuttle and booster setups - 1/144. I see one was released in 2000, with the wings all in one piece, yet I see that in the 2011 release, which is supposed to be a re-box only, the wings are two separate peices.

The 2011 version isn't a re-tool as well is it? Does it fit better with the wing assembly being different? 

Regards 

Edited by Davidrebolton

Not being across the different releases I found a Modelling Madness review of the 2000 release (Kit 10170)

10710a.jpg

and a build review on a German forum of the 2011 release (Kit A10170)

up017004.jpg

up017006.jpg

and the sprue shots look the same to me with the same wing breakdown.

I've the 2011 release and looking at the molds, there does not seem to be any updates to the molds as they still have the raised panel lines. But looking up information on Scalemates, there's a link for the 1982 rebadged release from MPC that shows the wings as three separate parts comprising lower wing and left and right upper wing sections.  https://community.revell.de/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=8638 

I did an internet search for the instruction sheet from 1978 and it shows the wing with its three parts, lower wing and the two upper sections of the wings and the kit is unchanged with the exception of much better decals from the original one option ( USS Enterprise ) to the options of all six spacecraft in the most recent release.

Edited by Mick4350

23 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Not being across the different releases I found a Modelling Madness review of the 2000 release (Kit 10170)

10710a.jpg

and a build review on a German forum of the 2011 release (Kit A10170)

up017004.jpg

up017006.jpg

and the sprue shots look the same to me with the same wing breakdown.

17 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

I've the 2011 release and looking at the molds, there does not seem to be any updates to the molds as they still have the raised panel lines. But looking up information on Scalemates, there's a link for the 1982 rebadged release from MPC that shows the wings as three separate parts comprising lower wing and left and right upper wing sections.  https://community.revell.de/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=8638 

I did an internet search for the instruction sheet from 1978 and it shows the wing with its three parts, lower wing and the two upper sections of the wings and the kit is unchanged with the exception of much better decals from the original one option ( USS Enterprise ) to the options of all six spacecraft in the most recent release.

Thank you both, they are both very informative posts! 

I was hasty in posting this question in hindsight. I had looked but found answers by looking at all the kits I could find on Ebay, which showed what you guys have stated. 

Decals are a bonus in the 2011 hey, is there anyway to get ahold of that decal sheet? 

Regards

Thanks.

I've never built the Airfix Shuttle. I built the Revell "Full Stack" kit way back in 1981 and in more recent years, the Academy 1/144 kit. Of all of them, I've heard that the Airfix kit is the most accurate - although by no means perfect. 

On 07/07/2021 at 10:55, Eric Mc said:

Thanks.

I've never built the Airfix Shuttle. I built the Revell "Full Stack" kit way back in 1981 and in more recent years, the Academy 1/144 kit. Of all of them, I've heard that the Airfix kit is the most accurate - although by no means perfect. 

From what I read, though not perfect the Airfix is the best to go for. I've also been very lucky to buy a Monogram 1/72 stack recently, im made up ☺

At the time I was looking for a 1/144 Shuttle over ten years ago), neither the Airfix nor the Revell kits were available. The only one I could find was the Academy/Minicraft one - so that was the one I built. It has some shape issues, especially around the nose of the Orbiter - and the External Tank lacks the corrugations around the Interstage Section. I had to create my own corrugated effect using plastic strips.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I did the illustrations for the original instruction sheet for the Airfix Shuttle. Having looked at the pictures of the kit sprues I would say they don't appear to have changed or been modified at all.

• Like 3