1/24 Hellcat NF Mk II, 892 NAS, 1945 *Finished!*

Alan P

That looks absolutely fantastic Alan and you deserve to be justifiably proud of this excellent achievement.

The overall Dark Blue scheme perfectly highlights the open access areas, which have all been built up and painted to perfection. 

Honestly, that's top shelf modelling every day of the week! 

Cheers and very well modelled.. (an inspired) Dave 

• Thanks 1

Huge thanks to all for the very welcome comments 🙏👍 :blush:

20 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Alan, would you mind posting a photo of the yellow stencil at the prop root? 

Hellcat prop

Is that any good? Two of the three decals actually split while applying, which might account for the single-line appearance 😬

tn_Hellcat (116)

Clearer pic there @dnl42

Thanks again everyone for commenting, all the very best,

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Fantastic finish there @Alan P.  One to be really proud of.  Well deserving of pride of place in the cabinet. 

Thank you, that means a lot from a knowledgeable member like yourself 🙏

14 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I haven’t got the space, I haven’t got the space........😰

You have, you just haven't cleared it yet :wicked:

• Haha 1

Absolutely gorgeous! :wub:

Mine has definitely moved up the 'to do list' now, and with the same conversion and decals winging their way to me it won't be long 'till I take the plunge!

Tom

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Absolutely gorgeous! :wub:

Mine has definitely moved up the 'to do list' now, and with the same conversion and decals winging their way to me it won't be long 'till I take the plunge!

Tom

Thanks very much Tom, can't wait to see what you make of it 😉👍 hope the build thread comes in useful, will be interesting to see if you run into any of the fit issues I had with the lower fuselage and engine block. 

10 hours ago, franky boy said:

Stunning work Alan. 

Quite rightly one to be proud of. 

James

Thanks James 👍

42 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Wow! Finishing this challenging, detailed, big build and getting this great result, all before the deadline...Bravo!

Thanks for your support along the way Roberto :thanks:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 12:10 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

So the Airfix IP is completely wrong for the majority of Hellcats? I'm surprised I hadn't heard of that before now.

I've just read that there are alternative IPs in the kit I guess they will bring out a nightfighter before too long.

Interesting that you mention that. Memory is unreliable, but i seemed to recall a separate sprue displayed next to the kit when it was originally announced at Telford, that included radar  accessories. Does anybody recall seeing it, or am i all wet??

-d-

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 11:13 AM, dnl42 said:

That engine looks fabulous. It almost looks like a rendering from a CAD program. :worthy:

Yeah, but you don't have to glue the parts of a CAD rendering together.

Seriously though, from everything i've read about building the kit, it seems that engine crankcase diameter is the "bad actor" in the build. I also wonder if Airfix gets some wild variances in shrinkage rates of the plastic they use as it cools, because some people say the kits fit beautifully, some say they really put up a fight.

The World wonders...

-d-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 3:25 AM, David H said:

Memory is unreliable, but i seemed to recall a separate sprue displayed next to the kit when it was originally announced at Telford, that included radar  accessories. 

The non-radar IP is on the clear sprue, the radar one is an opaque part. I took several photos of the Telford display as I was so taken with the whole thing at the time, but the sprue you mention isn't shown. Doesn't mean it wasn't there, of course 😉

On 10/18/2021 at 4:01 AM, David H said:

Seriously though, from everything i've read about building the kit, it seems that engine crankcase diameter is the "bad actor" in the build.

Yes, that and the circumferentially-challenged bulkhead(s) behind the pilot seat. Some end up with a gap in the lower fuselage, some don't. Otherwise, the problem is with things fitting too well, sometimes your test fit ended up being the final fit 😂

• Like 1