1/24 Hellcat NF Mk II, 892 NAS, 1945 *Finished!*

Alan P

This is looking seriously tasty... it’s certainly inspiring for us with this kit in their stash to see what can be done with it. 

My understanding is the lights were coloured lenses - they were in the bombers so logic would dictate it’s the same set up with the fighters. Others may know better of course. 

Tom

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tom 👍 the kit would be well worth any investment made in it, OOB or superdetail.

It seems the lights are clear covers over coloured bulbs, so that's what it's going to be!

01.jpg

Alan

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Thanks Tom 👍 the kit would be well worth any investment made in it, OOB or superdetail.

It seems the lights are clear covers over coloured bulbs, so that's what it's going to be!

01.jpg

Alan

Ah - apologies. I thought you were referring to the three signalling lights carried on the undersides of US aircraft - did the Hellcat have these? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Ah - apologies. I thought you were referring to the three signalling lights carried on the undersides of US aircraft - did the Hellcat have these? 

Yes, it does. Top tip nonetheless 👍

All the contemporaneous color photos I've seen of the F6F's wingtip navigation lights show tinted bulbs behind clear lenses. In contrast, all photos of recognition lights I've seen--none of which were on an F6F fuselage--have tinted lenses.

• Thanks 1

Finished the decals today:

tn_Hellcat (90)

Luckily there are only a few stencils! All the decals went down very well with diluted Klear as a setting agent. 

tn_Hellcat (91)

Now it's all dressed up, it just looks downright undignified without a nose. Will have to remedy that soon!

tn_Hellcat (87)

The diluted Klear mix allows the decal to really bite down into the surface detail. Very happy with the result.

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 12

Also added my one nod to the aftermarket (decals excepted!)

tn_Hellcat (92)

These three-part wheels by Def Models (of Korea) are superb, the tread pattern especially. The kit wheels aren't bad, but these were just great.

Alan 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Alan P said:

Also added my one nod to the aftermarket (decals excepted!)

tn_Hellcat (92)

These three-part wheels by Def Models (of Korea) are superb, the tread pattern especially. The kit wheels aren't bad, but these were just great.

Alan 

Congratulations Alan!

Your model is impressive!!

Extraordinary work!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, dnl42 said:

Wow, those are very well details. Eduard's 1/48 resin tires are fairly under-detailed compared to these--not even a hint of anything on the sidewhalls.

They are twice the size, so they can afford a bit more detail 😉

12 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

This is looking fabulous Alan!

Craig. 

Thanks a lot Craig 👍

5 minutes ago, Col. said:

Great to see this one reaching the decal stage and approaching completion Alan :speak_cool:

Thanks Col, might even make it by the deadline 🤞🙏

• Like 1

I've been so inspired by this that I ordered the decal and conversion set yesterday - it looks so good in RAF dress!

Just need to finish a few current projects and I'll be cracking on with this at some point soon... loving your work, Alan.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

I've been so inspired by this that I ordered the decal and conversion set yesterday - it looks so good in RAF dress!

Can't wait to see what you do with it, Tom 👍

But, despite the RAF's constant attempts to hijack the mighty FAA, it's RN dress!

Alan

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 12:26 PM, franky boy said:

It’s great to see a British Hellcat in slightly different markings to the norm. 

Thanks very much James 👍

Amazing, but I think this will be finished by the deadline...

tn_Hellcat (93)

Engine and wheels attached (prop just placed for show!)

tn_Hellcat (94)

Some remedial painting required by the wing roots - the panel cover parts didn't fit as well as I hoped...

tn_Hellcat (96)

Drop tank added, paint touch up complete, antenna masts and ammo/gun bay doors added. (Antenna masts still need painting, I didn't forget :lol:)

tn_Hellcat (97)

Not much left to do now. Can't believe how quickly it all went together once the engine was finished.

Just looking at it, not going to do any weathering or paint effects. The surface texturing and detail does it all as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 14

You've done a fabulous job on this! :worthy:

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Just looking at it, not going to do any weathering or paint effects. The surface texturing and detail does it all as far as I'm concerned.

Indeed it does!

• Thanks 1

Okay (drum roll........) it's finished!

tn_Hellcat (101) tn_Hellcat (107) tn_Hellcat (113)

So many wins with this - first 1/24 kit, most trouble-free build I've had in ages, and finished by the GB deadline. I'm buzzing with the sense of achievement just looking at this!

Thanks once again to @Col. for running the GB, and as you said in the rules:

It is mandatory that you have fun!

Tick

All the best and thank very much for following the build along the way, it's been a great journey and I've really appreciated the help, tips and encouragement 👍

Alan

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

• Alan P changed the title to 1/24 Hellcat NF Mk II, 892 NAS, 1945 *Finished!*