1/24 Hellcat NF Mk II, 892 NAS, 1945 *Finished!*

Alan P

That engine really is superb, chalk me up as another who'd be happy to just display that engine without the rest of the kit

James

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

That engine is a work of art Alan! Will it be on display in the finished model? It would be a shame to hide it away. 

Craig. 

Yeah the kit has removable panels, should be very visible

5 hours ago, 81-er said:

That engine really is superb, chalk me up as another who'd be happy to just display that engine without the rest of the kit

James

It's certainly the centrepiece of the kit, a lot of work!

On 8/25/2021 at 1:56 AM, dnl42 said:

That engine is fabulous! :worthy:

I'd buy a kit of just that engine. Would love a Merlin, too. Airfix?

Thanks, and there's probably a market out there for standalone 1/24 aero engines, you might be onto something!

5 hours ago, Bonkin said:

Beautiful work so far Alan. I've just bought this kit myself so will be following along with interest.

:yes:

Thanks very much. You won't be disappointed - but make sure you give yourself plenty of time to build it! It's not an ideal groupbuild subject... :hmmm:

tn_Hellcat (60)

The wings are finished. Can't get enough of this superb surface detail!

This kit is just monstrous. It's a big, chunky and heavy beast!

tn_Hellcat (61)

Here it is next to a 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IX. The Hellcat stabs are half as big as the wings of the Spit :surprised: 

The good news: it's all sanded back smooth, seams are puttied and finished and the masking is done ready for some primer.

tn_Hellcat (59)

I've dipped the canopy parts and they're ready to be masked and fitted. I should get this painted over the bank holiday weekend :yahoo:

Alan

• Like 7

Meanwhile, the engine assembly is finished:

tn_Hellcat (62)

I have knocked quite a few bits off, which will need repairing. Also, I broke with the instructions (again! I'm really losing track of this, which is very bad!) to fully assemble the ducting before fitting it to the rest of the airframe. 

tn_Hellcat (63)

Can't really gauge the size of this - it makes a complete handful if I hold it. Although the whole thing fits together beautifully, it's a pretty intimidating part of the build!

tn_Hellcat (65)

Everything forward of the exhausts is MRP, Mr Metal Color and Alclad paint; the exhausts backwards are all Colourcoats enamel. I'm telling ya, I spared no expense!

tn_Hellcat (66)

This might be the best thing I've ever built. Certainly this is one of the best kits I've ever seen. 

Honestly, get one. You won't regret it!

Alan

• Like 20

5 hours ago, Alan P said:

Honestly, get one. You won't regret it!

I wish you wouldn't say that, I know someone who would make sure I would regret it. ;) :D 

I'm really enjoying following this Alan, if nothing else, it is very instructive about Hellcats. You Colin Grey Spitfire looks pretty darn nice too. :) 

Steve.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

After a lot of building and painting parts, it suddenly struck me that this is well on the way to being finished!

tn_Hellcat (68) tn_Hellcat (69)

Fixed the landing gear in place.

tn_Hellcat (70)

Also filled a lot of gaps with CA glue and epoxy, this is now one very sturdy model.

tn_Hellcat (71)

Very pleased it all lines up nicely! With so many components trying to fit in these cramped sub-assemblies, there's always the worry it won't sit together properly. Luckily the fit of the parts is excellent.

tn_Hellcat (72)

Radar pod fitted 

tn_Hellcat (73)

Three-part piece by Aerocraft, fits nicely but needs a bit of filler to fair it in.

Really feels like the final straight now, I also assembled the (giant) prop and primed all the engine and fuselage panels. Just need to not mess up the painting now... 😬

• Like 8

On 8/30/2021 at 3:59 AM, Cookenbacher said:

That's looking fantastic Alan, the engine is incredible!

5 hours ago, 81-er said:

That's absolutely magnificent

James

Thank you very much gents! 

Just paused work on this for a while as I'm waiting on some more paint. Hoping to get a similar finish to this F8F Bearcat I did last year.

tn_IMG_20200214_155941

• Like 10

We have paint!

tn_Hellcat (75)

Look at that skin detail, I'm totally gobsmacked how good this kit production is.

tn_Hellcat (76)

I will be adding some filter colouring to this, so it looks a bit monochrome for now, but I love the look of the kit under paint.

tn_Hellcat (77)

I think if anyone was so inclined, you could make a super-realistic Hellcat from this kit. I'm finding it a challenge just out of the box due to the complexity, but if you chose to superdetail it as well it could be a genuine masterpiece.

tn_Hellcat (78)

It's almost too big to photograph in my 60x60cm lightbox, but the surface detail is just :inlove:

I'm using Mr Color C365 Glossy Sea Blue which is actually FS15042, the 'greyer' postwar GSB. I mistakenly thought they would do what all the other paint manufacturers do which is lump ANA 623 and FS15042 together as the WW2 bluey GSB, but they've absolutely nailed the postwar colour, good for them! 😬 This means I will need to go over this with some thinned Vallejo GSB, which is one of the aforementioned hybrid GSBs, about halfway between the two.

This paintjob took about 1.5 jars of Mr Color using a TR-1 trigger airbrush with a 0.5mm tip - big scale modelling isn't cheap! 😬 I also have the 1/32 F7F Tigercat to do one day so I know where to go for paint...

It suddenly struck me that this is almost finished now! Not many useable parts left in the box now.

Alan

• Like 14

Thanks James @81-er it's been fun for me too :lol:

tn_Hellcat (81)

Engine and prop are just about finished now. 

tn_Hellcat (80)

Tried a little test-fit - very rough mounting as the locator pegs are a very tight fit as usual for this kit...don't want them to get stuck :yikes:

tn_Hellcat (83)

Demonstrates how the fuselage is 1/3 engine, what a beast!

tn_Hellcat (84)

Might look a bit wonky for now but that's because the lower mounting pegs aren't pushed all the way into the locating holes.

Finished off the day with a gloss coat, so that means decals tomorrow!

Alan

• Like 13

This is quality work Alan, and great to follow too. Dare I say it's even tempting me to digress from 1/72?! Would be quite a jump, but the quality of your work and the kit itself makes me feel like I'm missing out.... ;) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Seamus said:

This is quality work Alan, and great to follow too. Dare I say it's even tempting me to digress from 1/72?! Would be quite a jump, but the quality of your work and the kit itself makes me feel like I'm missing out.... ;) 

Shaun I would LOVE to see what you could do with a 1/24 kit :wow:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Dang, that looks gorgeous! :clap2:

Oh, and a hint on mounting the belly tank on my half-pint build.

Thanks again! 👍

I have a general question...were the nav lights on the aircraft clear covers over tinted bulbs, or were the covers themselves coloured red or green 🤔

• Thanks 1