1/24 Hellcat NF Mk II, 892 NAS, 1945 *Finished!*

Alan P

Thanks for sorting that out for me Alan.  If procrastination were an Olympic sport sign me up.  I’ll start tomorrow... 😜

I like the way you have animated the elevators but I think in the Hellcat the elevators were spring loaded to self centre with no control input.  I just had a quick look at some photos from IWM collection, parked Hellcats have their elevators in the neutral position (except the one on Khedive where the pilot is leaning on it).

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Thanks for sorting that out for me Alan.  If procrastination were an Olympic sport sign me up.  I’ll start tomorrow... 😜

I like the way you have animated the elevators but I think in the Hellcat the elevators were spring loaded to self centre with no control input.  I just had a quick look at some photos from IWM collection, parked Hellcats have their elevators in the neutral position (except the one on Khedive where the pilot is leaning on it).

Thanks, happy to help!

Fear not, the posable elevators are just deflected to show the travel. It's not like this is finished or anything! 😉

• Like 1

Still chipping away at this, there's just so much...model in this kit!

Hit the first real issue - remember back near the beginning the fuselage halves just wouldn't go together due to the oversized inner frame?

tn_Hellcat (37)

This is the main body of the engine - the parts are designed to slide on to the central armature, but the central diameter is slightly too big.

I was used to the snug fitting of the kit parts generally, so I wasn't too bothered by the very tight fit of the parts. They needed forcing into place but when I added the liquid cement, they split apart :frantic:

tn_Hellcat (38)

Just hoping I can hide this, because it's fairly major damage :sad:

tn_Hellcat (39)

I really hope the engine will still fit the airframe... 🙏

tn_Hellcat (40)

Also frustrated by the 18 little brackets which fit each cylinder head assembly - who decided this would be a good way to mould them :hmmm:A lot of cleanup for small and bendy/snappy parts 😠

Stuff like this dents the enthusiasm after having such a good time up till now...

So, the good news...

tn_Hellcat (44)

Gun compartments are fully assembled, just need a wash.

tn_Hellcat (45)

The colours as called out in the Airfix instructions surprised me but appear to be accurate!

tn_Hellcat (46)

Ready for a bit of major assemblage now 👍

Alan

• Like 11

The engine was really bugging me, so one marathon hand-painting session later I slotted it all together...

tn_Hellcat (41)

Very glad to report none of the other parts were damaged (I hollowed out the bits to make sure!)

tn_Hellcat (42)

Pretty sure the broken parts will be mostly hidden inside the airframe - if it shows, I'll have to board those bits up behind fixed panels.

The engine's in fairly early stages still but already looks fine to my eye. Built quite a few of these R-2800s in 1/32 with plenty more to come (F7F Tigercat and A-26 Invader both in resin versions) but this is huge by comparison. Hope I'll be able to do it justice!

So far so good, and restored enthusiasm for the build. Better keep going!

Alan

• Like 12

Good save on the engine, and those gun compartments are looking  great. From a purely selfish viewpoint, I’m grateful that you’ve hit a slight bump in the road. You seemed to be enjoying this build so much that I couldn’t help scanning the internet for a bargain copy, and I don’t have room for the box it comes in let alone the finished article! Apologies, and looking forward to future progress. 

Craig. 

• Haha 4

The engine and gun bays look absolutely superb, the joys of the extra detail you can get at that scale. It's a shame about the over-tight fit on the engine bits, I'll keep my fingers crossed the damage is hidden when installed

James

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Good save on the engine, and those gun compartments are looking  great. From a purely selfish viewpoint, I’m grateful that you’ve hit a slight bump in the road. You seemed to be enjoying this build so much that I couldn’t help scanning the internet for a bargain copy, and I don’t have room for the box it comes in let alone the finished article! Apologies, and looking forward to future progress. 

Craig. 

This genuinely made me laugh 😂 hopefully that's the last of the hiccups and you can keep looking...

• Like 1

One thing I did buy on the internet today, intrigued by your signature, was a copy of your book Voyager for my Kindle. I’m about half way through it, have thoroughly enjoyed it so far and, like your Hellcat build, can’t wait to see what happens next!

Craig. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

One thing I did buy on the internet today, intrigued by your signature, was a copy of your book Voyager for my Kindle. I’m about half way through it, have thoroughly enjoyed it so far and, like your Hellcat build, can’t wait to see what happens next!

Craig. 

Thank you very much, Craig! That's made my day 👍

• Like 1

Just caught up with this Alan. 

Truly great work and it confirms to me that I’ll have to tackle this kit one day. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James

• Thanks 1

I recently treated myself to this kit and I’m really enjoying watching you work your magic on this. Notes are being taken! 

Your cockpit and gun bays look exceptional, and I’m keen to see the finished engine. It really does look like a splendid kit. 

All the best,

Tom

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much @tomprobert and @franky boy, very glad to be of service if it helps.

Managed to get some assembly done:

tn_Hellcat (50)

The right wing assembled, it was not an easy fit! I had to remove a fair bit of height from the spar pieces and also a lot of scraping of the main insert to the fuselage. After my experience with the engine, i wasn't going to take any chances!

tn_Hellcat (51)

The left wing fitted much better, although again the main connector tab is a very tight fit and will need scraping down before I try to fit it. It'll probably be the last bit to be attached on the build, so no rush!

Thanks again for looking in,

Alan

• Like 9

Meanwhile, the engine is coming along well:

tn_Hellcat (47)

This is all out of the box detail, if you include the wiring which is part of the kit instructions :tease: Seriously, the instructions are spot on - they list the various lengths of wire required for each ignition cable and then provide a comprehensive diagram of how to rig them. The result is a really nice, complex look that all matches up perfectly.

tn_Hellcat (48)

The bolts are picked out with a cocktail stick dipped in Mr Metal Color Super Chrome Silver 2.

tn_Hellcat (49)

This might be the first time I've completed one of these engines with two ignition cables per cylinder, even for the back row. Without the kit instructions, I wouldn't have bothered, so that's another big plus for the kit as far as I'm concerned!

Just painted the first lot of exhaust pipes in Colorcoats Corticene (don't knock it, it's the best paint match I've found for oxidised exhaust pipes!) so it'll be getting even busier!

All the best,

Alan

• Like 14

23 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Haud yir wheest min, I hivne finished the wee een yet an' the wife wid kill me onywy!

Craig.

Tell her you got it gan cheap. We all ken the lassies like a 'bargain' ;) 

• Haha 3

On 8/19/2021 at 3:44 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

Looking good. were you able to reassure yourself that the engine will still fit the aircraft?

Thanks, not yet! Still have all the other gubbins to fit in first. Going by the exhaust manifolds I think it'll be okay 🤞

On 8/20/2021 at 9:19 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

I've become a little wary of Airfix in recent years due to quality issues such as you are encountering

Well, each to their own, but I'd hardly call those deal-breakers :hmmm:I think this is an excellent kit overall, and much better value for money than some of the more vaunted corners of the hobby. But maybe I'm too used to building old clunkers to really appreciate the best of modern kit production! 

Still chipping away at this, there's a lot of model in here...

tn_Hellcat (52)

Got the rest of the exhausts done, heart-stopping stuff!

tn_Hellcat (53)

Somehow it all fits and aligns correctly, the CAD/toolmakers at Airfix must be wizards...

tn_Hellcat (54)

Test fit:

tn_Hellcat (56)

It still fits and lines up perfectly @Bertie Psmith! :lol: I was worried the knife-edge tolerances would be thrown out by the split engine casing but looks like we got away with it 😉

tn_Hellcat (57)

The rest of the engine components are being fabricated now. I wonder if Airfix shouldn't have just marketed this as an engine kit which incidentally has a Hellcat attached to it... :hmmm:So the build is currently a lot of strange shaped boxes, ducts and piping all coloured green, which is a bit dull. I might just crack on and paint the main airframe just to move onto something more fun.

tn_Hellcat (58)

Also, this is HUGE - the engine section is about 1/3 the length of the aircraft and it looks very chunky when assembled - god knows how big the 1/24 Mossie must be :hypnotised:

Anyway - still might finish in time for the deadline, and it's still fun to build, if a little monochromatic at the moment...

Cheers,

Alan :cheers:

• Like 13