Correct markings for THAT Mosquito...

Jim Kiker

Hi all,

After a long time has passed I am getting back to an old build, specifically the Tamiya 1/48 scale Mosquito as a NF XII, DZ302/G flown by John Cunningham with Jimmy Rawnsley.  I am working on the kit again and have found unanswered questions that I had completely forgotten about.

What I know- standard NF scheme of overall MSG with disruptive DG on the upper surfaces.  Codes- VY-R. Thimble nose for the AI Mk VIII.  Serial No. already mentioned and I have that in decals.

What I don't know or I'm not sure of- I think the codes should be 30" high (in Dull Red), with the fuselage roundel about 36" in diameter.  Standard for the Mosquito should be for the single individual code letter to be in front of the roundel and the squadron codes behind the roundel on both sides; correct? That said, there are plenty of different variations among different units.  I cannot find a picture of either side of the fuselage but there are models of this aircraft showing the codes in different order; does any one have/know of pictures that actually show this plane from either/both sides?  One left side profile I have in an old Aircam book also shows a little cut-out in the DG just in front of the horizontal fin, just long enough to show all of the serial number over the MSG paint.  I hope it is correct...

I think that exhausts my current state; I imagine there will be more questions to do with airframe details to come.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed!

Cheers, Jim

Edited by Jim Kiker
Slight rewording re: fuselage roundel and code letters.
  • Like 1

Osprey Mosquito Aces of WWII has photos of a XII starboard side VY.S and a XXX port side B.VY

Ducimus Camouflage and markings has a diagram based on a DH drawing showing a 36in C1 roundel centred 54in behind the trailing edge of the wing. It also has a drawing of DG302/G port side VY.R, no cutout for the serial and a note the radome was unpainted.

So no clear answer and a drawing which differs from a photo of a later a/c from the same squadron. All very inconclusive.

• Like 1