Linebacker II, B-52 loadouts?

Killingholme

Hi all,

Currently building a Modelcollect B-52G as a "Linebacker II" era machine. (I got it very cheap from someone who took one look at it and decided it wasn't worth the effort!) It's not their Vietnam era boxing, but most of the correct parts are there.

Could I ask what the typical bomb load of a B-52G would have been during those Linebacker II raids? I'm guessing sticks of MK.82s? This is going to be a wheels-up, bomb-bay-open build so I want to make the bomb bay a bit of a focal point.

Thanks

Will

@Killingholme,

See the lnks below- they don't help with  loadout numbers, but have good photos and  overviews.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/impressive-photos-show-b-52-bombers-taking-part-operation-linebacker-ii-christmas-bombings-north-vietnam-took-place-45-years-ago/

https://www.centennialofflight.net/essay/Air_Power/Linebacker/AP41.htm

I think the B-52 versions used during the campaign could carry 27 Mk 117's internally and 24 externally- 12 on each inboard wing pylon. They could also carry 84 Mk 82's internally and 24 externally- 12  on each of the two wing pylons.

I'm sure one of our resident BUFF experts can be more helpful. Basically, you could load a B-52 on Friday, and drop bombs on Saturday and Sunday!

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I think the B-52 versions used during the campaign could carry 27 Mk 117's internally and 24 externally- 12 on each inboard wing pylon.   They could also carry 84 Mk 82's internally and 24 externally- 12  on each of the two wing pylons

Only the B-52D with the Big Belly modification could take the full 108 bombs.   That was 84 Mk.82 inside and another 24 under the wings.  If they used the M117, it was fewer - 42 inside and 24 externally, for a mere 66.  At the time of the Vietnam War the B-52G was limited to 27 Mk.82s, all inside.  The ability to carry them externally was added only later.  So your B-52G could be shown in a Linebacker configuration by arming it with nothing and leaving the bomb doors closed.

The other modification was South Bay, which converted the B-52F so it could take 27 bombs internally plus 24 under the wings (either Mk.82 or M117) for a total of 51.

• Like 2

As mentioned you are limited to what you can have loaded, however if you ever do an earlier version, D or F, then you could add M-36:

61tqbvjY4RRqq6fEz-7Q2YRdW8btUnKzKtD7-cxh

or CBUs internally:

im-287386?width=620&size=1.5

Jari

• Like 2

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I will go with the Mk.82s. 

I know the 'G' had only a minor part to play given it's smaller bomb capacity, but the SIOP camo scheme is an interesting contrast to the more familiar SEA scheme. What everyone really wants is a modern tooling of a 'tall tail' B-52. I was disappointed by the Modelcollect B-52G/H kits, and their supposedly pending tall tail version seems to have been indefinitely postponed now anyway. Looks like I'll be dragging my Monogram B-52D kit out of the stash afterall!

Will