1/72 F6F-5 Drone

81-er

the gloss not setting sound like it could be that you applied it too thick?

if you get a nice coverage from the flat red it might be worth trying a coat of gloss varnish to give you the effect you're after

keep at it, I really want to see the scheme you've chosen

rgds

John(shortCummins) 

I think my problem was more likely a reaction between the aerosol primer I'd used and the gloss, as it was only over areas where I'd sanded through to the primer when removing the runs. The cowl is all back to bare plastic now, and I've learnt that Dettol disolves Tamiya Extra Thin as a side note. It gives me the chance to sort the cowl out properly, as I’ve never been 100% happy with it. I’ll straighten out the wobbly rescribed panel lines as well as taking the chance to be able to reinstate the prominent line between the nose ring and side panels that I’d previously obliterated with filler and paint. I’m definitely viewing this as a positive overall, as well as a learning opportunity.

I think gloss coating over matt is going to be my go-to method in future, I’ve not been too enamoured with working with the Tamiya gloss, especially with the enormous amount more work it’s been to clean the airbrush after in comparison to the matt red I used before.

This is definitely going to be progressing when I have the chance, painting has become a major bottle neck due to time/life constraints. Not even remotely helped that we’ve spent the last 5 weekends stripping the woodwork in the hall/stairs/landings back to bare wood, as the existing paint was too rough to just paint over. As well as losing 10 (and counting) days with zero chance of airbrush time it’s filled the whole house with dust for days after. It’ll be worth it though, and I will finish this one (and the others currently in progress). I’m just refusing to set a deadline it’ll be done by as they’ve all gone flying past so far. They do make a lovely whooshing noise as the do though 🤣

James

• Like 3

Glad to see you're continuing with this one as you get a chance James. Going back to work on the cowl from a new beginning is no bad thing if it ensures you are happy with the results.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is still ticking away in the background when I get a chance. The cowl is now back to bare plastic and filled, I’ll sand that smooth and re-scribe when I have the opportunity. I’ve managed some more paintwork though. I’m really very pleased with how the prop came out, just some minor re-touching required to the black, then it’ll be ready for decals & weathering:

5fhhfYg.jpg

The tail end has been masked, hit with a coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss to seal the masking, then had its first coat of the grey. It’s going to need a second coat as it’s a bit patchy in places (red’s a pain to cover) and some light sanding before that to remove some dirt particles. However, I’ll leave you with this teaser:

G88dDeW.jpg

Until next time

James

• Like 4

Thanks Col. I've got into a bit of a swing of things now, the airbrush comes out at least once a week over the last couple of weeks. I try and get a selection of stuff ready to go, then I have a nice little production line. Much less hassle than setting the gear up (and tearing it back down) for every little bit on it's own. Should get another chance to spray tonight or tomorrow, watch this space.

James

• Like 1

A mammoth airbrushing session tonight (see the Heinkel thread for a picture of some of the rest), but I’ve finally got the second coat on the tail section, and de-masked it:

2zjKmBy.jpg

VtDh1b7.jpg

Not looking too shabby! Only one tiny area of paint bleed to sort out:

l7QrB1o.jpg

I’ll deal with that, give the exhausts some colour, then it’ll be gloss coat & decals.

Until next time

James

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi James,

did you finish this one? I've been suckered in by shortCummins current 1/48 build, and fancy something similar but in 1/72 like yours. I'd be interested to see how your build turned out.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark, I'm afraid I haven't yet. I've had some trouble with the paint flaking off the canopy when I unmasked it and it got put back into the box as I had a house move looming. Now I'm in and (mostly) settled, I'll be grabbing another set of masks and redoing the canopy parts. Probably a blessing in a way, having started the paint with rattle cans and moved onto an airbrush, there's a fair buildup around the edges. I reckon the fix will let me get a better result as my skills have improved now.

James

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Hi Mark, I'm afraid I haven't yet. I've had some trouble with the paint flaking off the canopy when I unmasked it and it got put back into the box as I had a house move looming. Now I'm in and (mostly) settled, I'll be grabbing another set of masks and redoing the canopy parts. Probably a blessing in a way, having started the paint with rattle cans and moved onto an airbrush, there's a fair buildup around the edges. I reckon the fix will let me get a better result as my skills have improved now.

James

Hi James,

sorry to hear that but its also good to hear that its still alive and will hopefully be sorted out. Bit of a shame about the canopy, but a clean-up will work wonders, I'm sure. Incidentally, I use Tamiya rattle cans for priming (or large areas of single colour if I can get a match) - I find it washes off really well in Mr Thinner, which of course doesn't attack the plastic. Not sure how it would affect a clear part like a canopy, though.....

If I do one of these, and what's not to like, I'll have to cobble the markings together from serial sheets, although the all-yellow one on your sheet is also available from LF Models, it seems.

All good fun!!!

Cheers,

Mark

I might have a try with the Mr Thinner, I've got some of that (plus Tamiya thinners, IPA, Dettol etc). I'll definitely be using the airbrush all the way on the repairs as my skills have come along considerably with that (see my in-progress Tamiya P-38, or the RFI's on the Arado 555 and the TIE Fighters). As for the details, besides the drone numbering, pretty much all of it can be done from the kit-supplied sencils and insignia. How much of the stencilling is applied is a bit open to interpretation as some drones have had almost none re-applied after the red paint job, others seem to have the whole quota. I'm pretty sure another will happen, especially as I've discovered that the Smithsonian's Hellcat was actually the pink-tailed number 14 drone, so I have a long-term plan to add that to the collection with a half & half paintjob. One side in the drone colours, the other as it is now

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/grumman-f6f-3k-hellcat/nasm_A19610107000

James

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 81-er said:

I might have a try with the Mr Thinner, I've got some of that (plus Tamiya thinners, IPA, Dettol etc). I'll definitely be using the airbrush all the way on the repairs as my skills have come along considerably with that (see my in-progress Tamiya P-38, or the RFI's on the Arado 555 and the TIE Fighters). As for the details, besides the drone numbering, pretty much all of it can be done from the kit-supplied sencils and insignia. How much of the stencilling is applied is a bit open to interpretation as some drones have had almost none re-applied after the red paint job, others seem to have the whole quota. I'm pretty sure another will happen, especially as I've discovered that the Smithsonian's Hellcat was actually the pink-tailed number 14 drone, so I have a long-term plan to add that to the collection with a half & half paintjob. One side in the drone colours, the other as it is now

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/grumman-f6f-3k-hellcat/nasm_A19610107000

James

Perhaps try the Mr Thinner on some clear sprue first - I'd feel awful if it sent the transparency opaque!

I've had an airbrush for years although it had very little use - an old Badger 150 single action that I used to get gas canisters for! Last summer I treated myself to a little compressor and a new double-action airbrush and although I need loads more practice I'm enjoying it so far, and I think my paint skills are improving slowly. I won't be painting mottles any time soon, though :) I'll have a look at your P-38 and RFIs.

Amazing that the pink-tailed drone survived - did it fly through a blast cloud, I wonder?** I'll have a look at the link now - thanks for sharing it! As you say, strange how the stencilling varies, almost as if the ones with the full quota were factory painted by Grumman. The half-and-half scheme sounds like an amazing idea!

All the best,

Mark

** EDIT - I like Smithsonian's statement that its exposure to the fall-out cloud was "minimal" and that residual radiation is "negligible" :D 

• Like 1