Starship Maintenance trench wall hanging

I had a few hours today to work on this extravaganza. I cut the missing panel to size, and then, as suggested by @Stickframe & @Head in the clouds.

Within it I incorporated a Concave panel (with greeblies) and a Convex greebly fest, based on that good old Sci Fi standby, a Panther tank hull*.

I've also sorted some other bits to add to the skin while I'm in the mood.

The panel has been glued into place and weights added while the Gorilla glue dries fully overnight.

There's a little bit of filling to do and then the whole thing needs a good rub down, (Pause for @CedB or @Martian to snort etc).

I hope to get pictures up by this time tomorrow when it should be worth looking at.

Thanks, Pete

*The Panther and Tiger rear decks, for example, have adorned all sorts of Sci Fi builds over the decades.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I had a few hours today to work on this extravaganza. I cut the missing panel to size, and then, as suggested by @Stickframe & @Head in the clouds.

Within it I incorporated a Concave panel (with greeblies) and a Convex greebly fest, based on that good old Sci Fi standby, a Panther tank hull*.

I've also sorted some other bits to add to the skin while I'm in the mood.

The panel has been glued into place and weights added while the Gorilla glue dries fully overnight.

There's a little bit of filling to do and then the whole thing needs a good rub down, (Pause for @CedB or @Martian to snort etc).

I hope to get pictures up by this time tomorrow when it should be worth looking at.

Thanks, Pete

*The Panther and Tiger rear decks, for example, have adorned all sorts of Sci Fi builds over the decades.

I didn't know I had to do  Ced's work for him but seeing as he isn't here at the moment; Fnar, fnar, snurf, snurf.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

As promised...

I've managed to spend several hours on this today, and I have pictures for your delectation.

gpgB3vg.jpg

Lots of filling (P-38 & Humbrol flavours) has been carried out, as has a lot of rubbing down of said filler.

With the skin panels more or less smooth I rehung the beast on the wall for pictures and got out the box brownie.

But first I dressed it up with some of the greebly panels I'd made to give you an idea of how it should look.

All the tape on the ends is holding the end panels in place while the glue dries.

AKHyjge.jpg

And here, in all it's glory, is the concave panel as suggested by @Stickframe. The foam skin supports made positioning this tricky, but careful measuring won out.

It's just a shame no one (least of all me) thought of this earlier, or I would have done more of them. Smarty points will be awarded if you can I.D. the parts used.

tPXJd66.jpg

And just below the above greebly fest we find this, as suggested by @Head in the clouds.. A Panther deck with various additions.  

One of which is a Jaguar cannon insert. I will be adding more bits and bobs to the skin as and when I get around to it.

Thanks for the idea Gary.

ss4VbBd.jpg

So here is a more or less eye level view. The trench greeblies are in temporary positions BTW. I'll glue them later. When I'm nearer to paint.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with how it's going so far. The filler shows that it's not mm perfect but I think the paint will hide any bad bits I've missed.

In the trench I plan on overhead & floor greeblies with pipework running here and there. I think 'busy' is what I'm aiming for. Plenty to look at.

The top and bottom of the trench are in effect shelves, but also 'hard points'. I can drill into them and insert rods to support various spacecraft.

Thanks very much for looking, have a good week, Pete

• Like 14

On 01/08/2021 at 16:35, Pete in Lincs said:

The top and bottom of the trench are in effect shelves, but also 'hard points'. I can drill into them and insert rods to support various spacecraft.

Cor! This is going to look brilliant Pete.

On 01/08/2021 at 16:35, Pete in Lincs said:

Smarty points will be awarded if you can I.D. the parts used.

tPXJd66.jpg

The hair net's a bit of a giveaway: they're from an early model Ena Sharples sexbot.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Hey Pete - that looks perfect! the single recessed panel - with it's counterpart just below - nice! 😀   Wow - that's a lot of styrene making up the hull - looking forward to where you take this!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Startin' ta look real good!

Heck, it 'minds me of the time me an a couple buddies wuz a-tootlin' along in tha ol' hunk-a-junk  an mah fren , he says "Hey looky thar et thet ol' moon yonder!"

An' I says, heckfire ol' Ben! That ain't no moon, that there's a space station!

Ahem, sorry. The little brown outhouse building you put in there set me off.  (Sixth greebly from the right)

(Or is it a birdhouse?)

So Lazer turrets? Pew! Pew!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

The little brown outhouse building

That's actually the casing from an electrical plug. I found it last week, slapped some paint on & there we are. Outhouse. Like it.

Due to an outbreak of Family (Son & kids Yesterday, Daughter & Kid today, I've not had too much spare time this weekend.

All I managed to do was sort out and complete the black card on the ends. I only needed a touch of filler, so next time it's sanding day again!

Many thanks to our man in Kalamazoo, despite his obsession with outhouses. Pete

• Haha 1

Time for another weekly update. I've managed to spend several hours on this today. So here are the pictures to prove it....

NXESt6K.jpg

Slightly out of focus (My camera needs a good talking to!) But here we have the upper RH section. Now with living colour!

It's a huge grey slab hanging on the wall, so I've invented Squadron colours to brighten things up a bit. (Not quite finished yet, BTW).

I don't think there are any markings like this on the Starships, But, I did say this is loosely based on them anyway. (There, that's the disclaimer issued).

WT3IXog.jpg

A slightly longer distance shot with the Vaurbian Freighter doing a flyby.

The grey primer has been touched up today, after I filled/glued a few rough spots on the panel joints.

I'd previously scribed panel lines all over, and here they are accented slightly. All I did was lightly rub them with a bit of Micromesh.

I might yet hit some panels with a lighter grey. We'll see. A bit of 'weathering' might add interest.

Thought of the day, These guys have FTL drives, yet their paint technology is rubbish. All that fading and chipping! Tsk!

I'm on holiday from Wednesday, We're off to Devon to raid the Pastie mines. So this will be on hold for a week or so. Sorry!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Now with living colour!

Called 'Technicolour ' when I were a lad...😃

Now that Vaurbian Freighter really does bring it all to life, can't wait for the end result, nice work Pete.

Watch out for those nasty veggie imposters down the pasty mine, luckily they have bite...😉

• Thanks 1

On 15/08/2021 at 17:10, Pete in Lincs said:

These guys have FTL drives, yet their paint technology is rubbish. All that fading and chipping! Tsk!

I'm pretty sure Carl Sagan pointed out during his Royal Institution lectures that due to the extreme curvature of spacetime when approaching the speed of light, the paint on spacecraft turns inside out.

For authenticity here you really should be using the opposite side of the paint Pete.

Have tons of fun in Devon!

• Haha 4

I wandered over here by mistake, and saw the title of this thread. I became so curious I decided to investigate. I'm not sure I'm any the wiser, but I definitely feel a better person for coming here and looking at all this creative use of stuff!

I'll probably stick around now and see what happens if you don't mind Pete.

Oh, and Tony @TheBaron, your comment re the other side of the paint had me fascinated, but try as I might, I can't get any of my paints to go on the reverse way. Is there a trick I am missing?

Terry

aka fascinated in Dorset

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Oh, and Tony @TheBaron, your comment re the other side of the paint had me fascinated, but try as I might, I can't get any of my paints to go on the reverse way. Is there a trick I am missing?

Ah! I know that one.

I do it all the time. Usually it involves bad primer and really sticky masking tape.

• Haha 3

Thanks for keeping the thread going chaps. I'm back from Devon now. Stuffed with Pasties and Fish n Chips from Plymouth Ho.

@Terry1954 Welcome aboard, This is but one of a long series of threads involving models built from bits and bobs. Questions are always welcome.

I'm off down to Leicester on Saturday morning but will be back late Tuesday I hope to get something done here in about a week. 

So I'll put out the imaginary cones, please wait at the red light......

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

So I'll put out the imaginary cones, please wait at the red light......

Aw man, I just did a trip to North Carolina and back this last week.

Not the cones and lights!

Please, no more roadworks!

• Haha 1

I lived in North Carolina for a period and we used to claim that the real State Motto was "Men Working". This was especially the case when driving into the state since one such sign always seemed to be posted right next to "Welcome to North Carolina" and completely obscuring "Buckle up - It's the Law".

Maurice

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

I thought it would be rude not to buy some of the local ale, appropriately named 'Jail Ale'

I didn't see that one down there. I was mostly drinking Doom Bar shandy. Sacrilege I know, but I was mostly the designated driver.

I did manage to squeeze in a pint of Shipyard IPA though. A malty American ale. Rather nice.

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I didn't see that one down there

It is a local ale centered around Princetown and of coarse HMP Dartmoor, hence the 'Jail Ale' so common around Dartmoor. Probably don't allow it off the moor...😄

I have sampled the Shipyard you mention, not a bad pint to be fair.

• Like 1