Hasegawa 1/72 F-16A - First FSD and F-16B - `Lizard'

Hi, after the last group build where l did the ESCI F-16A and B, this time will be Hasegawa kits.

I will have to back date the current kits to earlier block versions which mean smaller rear stabs and different wheels. I will be using the Caracal Decals for the first FSD for the F-16A 75-0745 and Caracal Decals once again for the `Lizard' F-16B from Hill AFB. Pictures showing the parts, canopy not shown.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

Regards

Robert

Edited by Robert
  • Like 7

Welcome along Robert and with a double build too! :thumbsup:

I do love the early development schemes, they looked so smart on the F-16's. A 2 seater in the "Lizard" scheme is a bit different and another scheme that suited the F-16 as well I think.

Good luck with these builds, will be great to follow.

Hi an update on what has been happening. For the F-16A FSD I will be using this photo as my guide to what needs to be removed from the kit to backdate it.

aaq.jpg?m=1371925523

Firstly easy things to do, the underwing pylon holes were filled in for the F-16A and the outer wing pylon holes were filled in for the F-16B.

spacer.png

On the fin the changes for the F-16A were removing the pitot tube from the leading edge and removing the small fairing just below the rudder.

spacer.png

On the intake the reinforcing plates and lights were removed for both version and only the F-16B will be fitted with the lights only.

spacer.png

Onto the cockpit. The F-16A FSD was fitted with a Stencil SIII seat and as I had one I used that. On te cockpit tub that Hasegawa provide they have the seat sides moulded with the tub and not part of the seat, so these were removed and cleaned up. The Eduard set was used for the side consoles and seat belts for the seat. Final details will be completed once the fuselage is together.url%5D

spacer.png

For the F-16B it was just fitting the etch to the cockpit tub

spacer.png

And here are the instrument panels awaiting fitting.

spacer.png

I ordered from Hannants a couple of items from ResKit, some nice looking wheels and two PW F100 jet exhausts. The detail on those parts are fantastic. Photos to come later.

That is it for now hope to get the fuselage, wings and tailplanes together next.

Regards

Robert

• Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 12:48 AM, Robert said:

On the fin the changes for the F-16A were removing the pitot tube from the leading edge

<pedantic>That's not a pitot tube, but a fairing for a light to illuminate the refuelling door for night ops. </pedantic>

Nice progress!

Cheers,

Andre 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I am still around but it has been a frustrating time doing these 2 kits.

I will start off from my last post.

I bought these for both kits. These are great kits and very delicate, but in removing the flame holder from the pouring stub l broke both of them and had to order replacement from ResKit. They were superb and replacements arrived quckly. I also bought their resin wheels which l painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next were the tailplanes. Hasegawa provide later Block 15 tailplanes so I removed the rear part of the tailplanes and restored the sharp trailing edge.

spacer.png

Back to the engines. Hasegawa part on the left, ResKit on the right. The diameter of the Reskit was smaller than the kit so I removed the Hasegawa engine petals away from the rear enging housing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I then had to remove some material from the inside of the engine housing so that the resin engine afterburning tube would fit inside of the engine housing and finally the lovely resin petals.

spacer.png

At the front end l was quite pleased how both cockpits turned out.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Canopies on and ready for paint.

spacer.png

Now the fun (NOT) begins. I sprayed both kits in Tamiya XF-54 and went to apply the white for the F-16A. I had accidentlely picked up Tamiya Lacquer paint LP2, so because you only hear good things about laquer paints l thought I would give it a try. I thinned it and started spraying. For some reason the paint ended up being very rough not smooth as I hoped it would. Even spraying really thinned coats did not help. The only recourse was to remove it which was a real pain. I then left it and started on the F-16B. I attempted something different freehand spraying, but it was a disaster even with thinned paint and low air pressure. I tried it on an old model no problem at all, perhaps just nerves. Therefore I removed that as well. Two lessons learnt, stick with Tamiya Acrylics and use masks for camoulflage schemes.

Back to the F-16A l sprayed it with Tamiya X-2 Gloss White, no primer, and no issues at all, it went down really smoothly. Masked it up for the Tamiya X-7 Red nice and lovely. Masked that and painted the Blue, Tamiya X-4. Now part two of the mishaps. On removing the Tamiya masking tape it has left a rough texture (see below) on the red paint the white was fine. Now why this happened I do not know, all colours were left for 24 hours before the next colour. I am frustrated at the moment so will leave this alone, not sure what to do as I do not want to start all over again. The F-16B l have painted the lightest green first and will mask and spray the other two colours but am not in the mood at the moment.

spacer.png

Robert

Edited by Robert

• Robert changed the title to Hasegawa 1/72 F-16A - First FSD and F-16B - `Lizard'

that's really strange how the lacquer went on. I have tried the new Tamiya lacquer and found it to be really nice and easy to get a nice smooth finish (not quite as goods as the MRP stuff). 

I spray lacquer paint all the time now over a base coat of Tamiya acrylic. You do have to use a slightly different method when spraying lacquers. I find they really need to be thin almost like water, for me low pressure and low flow with a small (0.2mm nozzle) and you build up the layer you sort of don't want it to go on too wet. It may take a bit of practice, but don't give up, lacquer paint and finishes are the next level. It may have helped for me that I had been using super (extreme) thinned paint for a while (80+ thinner to paint) so sort of use to it in a way.

I love the new exhaust can looks great, great idea to slice-n-dice to get the new one to fit! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Well here we are again with some better news. The F-16A I will not finish in time but l have completed the F-16B. I did not take pictures of doing the camouflage but l used paper masks copied from the Caracal instruction sheet. The only thing different l did was to paint the red stripe on the fin. The paints used was Mr Hobby Aqueous range for the camouflage and Vallejo Metal Color for the Res-Kit exhaust and I am very pleased how it turned out.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Regards

Robert

Edited by Robert
Pictures updated
  • Like 8

I'd be very please to show a model like that too, well done!! :thumbsup:

She looks great in that scheme, one of the more unusual non-boring grey schemes.

It's a shame about the the other one not being finished intake, but at least you have this beauty.

Again, well done, been great having you along and I hope you enjoyed the build.