Masking tip please.

Stef N.

Does anyone have any tips for this following problem. I have to mask and paint over these louvred shapes on the seat cowling. It's a tough shape to get right anyway without the extra bumps and depressions so any advice would be great. Cheers.

p?i=9a6c0287eb82e0ee23c2cf97393a5d6a

Tamiya do a flexible masking tape; it's almost like thin electircal tape, possibly vinyl? Perhaps a thin strip of that could be curved and made to conform to the surface contours?

Either that or a circle of masking tape to form the central part of the curve and then separate strips carefully aligned to form the masking for the flowing lines down the sides?

Just my two-penneth.

• Thanks 1

I'd say draw it on from above, and then run tape along the pencil line, ensuring it follows the line from above.  Then fill in the rest with masking tape.  It might seem simplisitc, but it should work.  I'd be cautious of using that smart tak stuff, as it has a habit of spreading under its own weight, so it would splooge over the lines if you didn't get it painted PDQ :)

• Thanks 1

I've used the Mig camo paste on tanks as utmost accuracy hadn't been an issue but it probably would be too soft for this. I'll give white tack (or very fresh blu-tac) a go and hopefully this should work.

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the tips. It turned out far better than I was expecting, with only a minimal touching up of any bleed. I tried the flexible tape first but the curve was too sharp for it to handle. So a long piece of fresh tack was used, gently pushing it into the curves and a toothpick to smooth any areas.Worked a treat.👍

p?i=3c0f5cd61da977c17038683558f8c698p?i=cdfda2234e60521b54029a3b4bc64c08

• Like 5