Hobbycraft's Arado Ar 234C

A new day, a new plane. I picked up this kit today. 

I'm fully aware of where I'm headed with this kit, I've read some reviews that mentioned the kit had fit issues, however, I'm not someone to be scared of them.

I'll be making this aircraft as a Luft 46 machine (A high altitude bomber painted in RLM 81/82/84 with red engine intake rings).

Photo of the box:

XZJVTIW.jpg

It's not one of the most inspiring boxarts, but for the early nineties it does the job.

More progress soon!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, billn53 said:

I'm interested to see how yours turns out.

Me too, it'll be my first Ar 234. I've already built the Hobbycraft A-4B, and I found it to be a very good building experience. I hope this one is a good experience too.

4 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Me too, it'll be my first Ar 234. I've already built the Hobbycraft A-4B, and I found it to be a very good building experience. I hope this one is a good experience too.

I recently built Hobbycraft's F-89C Scorpion, and converted their Sabre 4 to a F-86A. Both turned out to be good kits. Hopefully, your 234 will follow the trend.

• Thanks 1

I didn't start with the cockpit, I began by opening the engine holes on the wings, and gluing them together.

70sbFxu.jpg

Fit of the fuselage halves is very good! Not Tamiya, but very good. The gap you guys see on the fuselage is because the halves aren't glued together.

Qo31r85.jpg

The instructions are very vague on how to build the cockpit, but I think I glued everything in their respective areas. A dry fit of the upper clear parts shows no fit issues.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 4

Hello guys! I've made a bit more progress on the 234.

Here's the fuselage and cockpit glued together:

tx3xEah.jpg

Wings glued to the fuselage. The fit of these was a bit sloppy, especially on the left wing, which had a pretty sizeable step. This issue was solved by removing some plastic from the lower part of the mounting hole.

nkOYjWM.jpg

Here you can see the horizontal stabilizers glued. The fit of these was poor, they didn't lock into their openings, so I had to secure them with tape while the glue dried.

nf5vqXB.jpg

Next day, I glued the engines. 

nHetsbu.jpg

• Like 3

Slathered some paint today. RLM 81 (Revell Aqua 46), RLM 82 (Revell 65) with red engine intake rings. Lower surfaces painted with RLM 84 (Revell 59 Duck Egg Blue).

vJT9umV.jpg

pKX1jkR.jpg

Y5puSlW.jpg

• Like 3

Decals applied. Instead of using the kit ones, which didn't look very good, I used ones from Xtradecals and Tamiya.

The machine shown operated in 1946 in an unknown Kampfgeschwader.

The colours are RLM 81/82/84.

PWvVSH7.jpg

KuqADyy.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 4

Matt coat brushed on. Installing the finishing details now.

The main gear legs were a very loose fit, and need to be held in place until the glue starts hardening. I also used some CA to speed things up.

RFI soon, maybe tomorrow.

rhjE7oN.jpg

qwaxIAw.jpg

ioa6Y5J.jpg

UOXauFQ.jpg

MdarCq6.jpg

• Like 1