A Revell (Frog) 1/72 Avro Shackleton MR3

This has been one of my more enjoyable builds (despite a health issue getting in the way which, as I type this is yet to be resolved by surgery).

In a way I’m sorry it’s finished, but onto the next one……

I purchased this kit cheaply off EBay probable because it was missing its decals - which I managed to purchase from Revell.

It was in its original box and although the bag had been opened, the kit was complete.

The quality of the parts was on the whole ok, but it had some flash here and there. For an old kit, it won’t together well with just the odd hitch along the way.

Ive purposely not weathered it as I’ve depicted it as a museum quality paint scheme. The flaps are in the down position as they are movable (at least they were until I knocked on off and had to glue it into its down position.
The decals put up some resistance going over the rivets with one Royal Air Force decal having to be scrapped as it tore and curled over and I couldn’t rescue it. I might have a way out of this predicament with thanks to Adrian who is sending me some Royal Navy letters with a couple of other letters to play around with.

Anyway enough wittering - onto the photos taken outside as the light was better.

The WIP is here

7gvUnCO.jpg

qripjq6.jpg

IxKVErX.jpg
O4sEPBq.jpg

33mTqO0.jpg
maL6ksJ.jpg

O0hRp7N.jpg

And with an early Revell Avro Lancaster

t396v9F.jpg
KCWGeCm.jpg
U4haM5R.jpg

brquoHn.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 3

• Brigbeale changed the title to A Revell (Frog) 1/72 Avro Shackleton MR3

Well done!

I've bumped on interesting article on whole Lancaster bombers family (from Manchester to Shackleton via Lancaster and Lincoln) .

https://pleszak.blog/2019/05/07/from-manchester-to-lincoln-via-lancaster-an-aviation-aristocracy-family-tree/

The Lancastrain and York are missed as non-bombers...

Regards

J-W

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A wonderful Shack and an enjoyable WIP.  Really great work on this old kit and just goes to show the older kits should not be overlooked.  It looks stunning and what a big old girl , it really is quite striking the difference in size between it and the Lancaster.  Hope you get your surgery over soon and make a speedy recovery and back to the bench as soon as possible. 

Great work 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Wowsers! you have managed to salvage a splendid model from the ancient FROG re-pop. I do admire the fact that you have managed to retain all the gazillions of rivets and so preserve the prime feature of the old kit. Definitely worth a big tick of approval from me. Hope your health issues are resolved soon.

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work, very very nice indeed!

So much bigger than the Lanc, never considered it would be!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pat C said:

Lovely job - would like to see the Frog kit and the newer Revell offering next to each other. Next job maybe? 😁

Now that’s an idea!

Great job on the old kit. Nice to see you overcame the  rivets and  made the  decals sit down. When I made it many years ago the decals seemed to float in mid air about 1mm above any of the airframe surfaces!! After seeing your beauty perhaps its time to have another go at it.

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know it’s been a few months since I called the Shackleton done but I’ve just received an addition to the Avro collection.

the Vulcan is  in need of restoration as it’s discoloured and it must had a very heavy landing at some point as the nose-wheels are missing, as is the complete starboard leg and the port gear although present, has the wheels at odd angles as though they’ve probably been broken off, refitted and the  models been put down before the glue set.

tGC1HId.jpg
msRjVbH.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 1